Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I update or reset my local files list?

Solved!

How do I update or reset my local files list?

I have this huge mp3 database, and I'm listening to it, music by music, updating tags and deleting any "not wanted anymore" mp3. However, a few weeks ago spotify stopped to automaticaly update my "local files" list. Each time I delete an mp3, I have to manually remove it from the list too, and I didn't want to do that because if I do so and by any chance I get a new mp3 with the same name, then it won't add to the list!

Also, is there anyway to reset or manualy update said list?

Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Removing and re-adding the source from the preferences menu should trigger it.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

26 Replies
Marked as solution

Removing and re-adding the source from the preferences menu should trigger it.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I really can't believe this is the "solution". Spotify will do whatever they can to make listening to local files a chore.

> If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

And if this post wasn't helpful in the least? Where's the "fix this because it's broken and stupid" button?

1. Disconnect your folder source.

2. Log out.

3. Log in.

4. Add your folder source again.

Unfortunately, this isn't a solution. This is a workaround. Spotify needs to fix this once and for all, but because they have nothing to gain from people playing their own files, I'm certain they'll continue to ignore this. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out this was done intentionally to have people get so frustrated that they just stop listening to their local files in Spotify.

An alternative to the listed "solution" is to restart Spotify, which if you have a quick computer takes only for a few seconds, but unfortunately stops the music.

A fast way to restart is to trigger Hardware Acceleration by going to View -> Hardware Acceleration -> Restart

No it doesn't. At least it doesn't anymore. I try these workarounds for almost one hour now without success. I have a new external HDD. I remove the folders add them anew. Nothing happens.

Log Off, Log On.

Nothing happens.

Manually delete cache. Remove, Readd, Log Off, Log On.

Nothing happens.

Do you have any more ideas maybe please? I am getting really frustrated now. I use Foobar for this specific playlist as spotify doesn't function as it should. 😕

Does not work. I even remnamed the folder on my new external HDD. And did all procedures mentioned in this thread three or four times.

The external file function in the current spotify version simpy does not work. 

I get the message "you can import it from you local library" for every second song playing.

Next workaround - delete uninstall  eradicate Spotify from my system and reinstall it from scratch?

This does not work for me. I unchecked all of the sources and waited hours. The local files still show and won't remove.

Removing and adding them again doesn't always work. In fact, I've encountered a totally new problem, and it blows me away that playing local files is still so broken in Spotify after all these years.

I added an entire discography of a band that isn't on Spotify, and everything was fine, they all showed up in my local files, except I noticed the metadata was wrong on one of the albums. Knowing how messed up local files are in Spotify, I removed the source, shut down Spotify, and fixed the metadata. When I opened Spotify back up, 2 of the albums were still in my local files, despite them definitely not being one of my sources. But whatever, that's not a big deal. When I added the rest of the discography, it's including everything except 11 of the 12 tracks from one album (not the album I edited the metadata for).

I've removed everything from my sources, restarted Spotify, restarted my computer, and nothing works. Those 2 albums that never should've shown up in my local files are always there no matter what, and I still can't add those 11 songs from the one album.

I pay extra for this feature and it's BS that it's still completely broken in 2017.

Closing Spotify, renaming the folder containing the local files and re-opening Spotify seems to work for me.

Hi,
I recently discovered the functionality of adding songs to listen on the phone. And as I'm sort of set by organized things I also wanted to make adjustments that reflected on the music library, however coming up with the problem mentioned in this topic.
One thing that seemed to have effect in the library update after numerous frustrated attempts was to update the information in an album in Windows Media Player (option find album info)... I don't know if Spotify uses the file that stores the Windows Media Player database, it could explain it...

If it works for you or if you have found another solution let me know.

Regards

Hi diogomatsumoto

Doesn't really work so far. But I am gonna try some other things with Windows Media Players library . Thanks for the new idea! 

None of the old fixes worked. Ended up having to uninstall and reinstall spotify to get it to refresh my local files. :l

Don't wanna have to do this again but it looks like I'm going to have to. Might as well try and rollback my spotify to an older version, the local file system is totally **bleep**ing broken. Unacceptable that I pay money for this feature and I've had numerous problems with it, considering cancelling if Spotify continues to be problematic.

Marked as solution

Solution on this thread: the one about renaming the local-files.bnk file

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Local-files-won-t-get-updated/m-p/...

That worked for me! Thanks!

That's the solution I think... at least it worked for me thanks man ^^

This worked! Finally! Thank you so much!

Suggested posts