Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How does the numbers work on Popular songs by an artist?

How does the numbers work on Popular songs by an artist?

Hello

This one has bothered me a bit and I can't figure it out. Dumb question maybe, but how does the Top 10 list by an artist work? I mean how does the numbers work that are shown below the title of a song? One song with 323,699 clicks or whatever, is #1, while the next song in the list has a lot more clicks, 1,073,443 and is #2. Why is that?

I took James Brown as my example, see here:

James Brown example

10 Replies

I have often wondered this too, my best guess is it bases the popularity on plays over a certain time period (or usage in playlists) rather than on pure play counts. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah maybe.

Anyone else got an idea of how it works?

Bump.

@user-removed - You might also want to drop support an email as they might know straight up how it works 😉 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

This has puzzled me for quite some time as well. Strange that so few are wondering about this... Did you try to send that e-mail as suggested?

Nah, I did not. I was hoping I could get an answer in this thread, I don't wanna email... :<

Well, I copied you text and sent it to Spotify as suggested. Here is their reply:

"The list works as how many playlists they are in and how many times there have been played,
This mean a track could be in 10 playlist but played 100times would be higher then one in 15 playlists but played 50 times,"

Not the most detailed explanation, but at leat an indication...

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Interesting!

Peter

Yeah thanks!

http://pansentient.com/2009/09/spotify-song-popularity/

this link explained it in a way that made more sense to me!

Suggested posts