Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to find friends without facebook in Spotify

Solved!

How to find friends without facebook in Spotify

Hey
I have a little problem, there is no find option for new friends.
My father starts using Spotify but he dont have facebook- so i can't add him to watchers.
Can you solve that problem ? Or tell me how to find him because there is no option for it 😞

Greetings
Paweł

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

If you know his Spotify username, then type into the main search box: 

spotify:user:USERNAME

with USERNAME replaced with his Spotify username. That will then load his profile, from which you can add him to your following list. 

For example, you can find me: spotify:user:hammeh

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@AaronO - Are you searching for them via Spotify username or real name? 

If you want to do a username search using "spotify:user:username" then be aware you might need to ask your friends for their Spotify username, which is different to their Facebook username. In the case their account was made via Facebook, their username will be a number. 

There are some steps in this tutorial which should help you. 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

Hi,

It is working fine as I check. You should distinguish username and name. Ex, my name is A B C and my username is ab12, and you have to search spotify:user:ab12 to find me 🙂

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful 🙂

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Marked as solution

I found friends using Spotify:user:name but then when I clicked follow they didn't show up under friends.

54 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

If you know his Spotify username, then type into the main search box: 

with USERNAME replaced with his Spotify username. That will then load his profile, from which you can add him to your following list. 

For example, you can find me: spotify:user:hammeh

Peter

Peter

thanks, but i think you should make that fnding easier because  i guess 99% of users dont know how to find somebody 😉

Hi,

I am trying to access a user through the search engine who is not connected to Facebook. Everytime I try to type her username into the search engine it only looks up songs titled by her username, but it has nothing to do with her playlists. Your description says to input her name into the Spotify search engine, am I using the wrong one?

Thank you!

Lara

You need to put the whole string into the search box with her username filled in where it says USERNAME 🙂 

Peter

Peter

I am a non Facebook user, I can find my friends using the search method but when it shows all there playlists, all I can do is follow it. I can't add my friend, nothing happens when I click on their name in any screen. Please help

@Mbsouter wrote:
I am a non Facebook user, I can find my friends using the search method but when it shows all there playlists, all I can do is follow it. I can't add my friend, nothing happens when I click on their name in any screen. Please help

Strange, what device is this on? 

Peter

Peter

I'm a non-facebook user trying to fing facebook users on spotify and this string is not working.

Does typing their facebook name into the search bar not find them for you? You don't use the "spotify:user" part for facebook names.

Marked as solution

@AaronO - Are you searching for them via Spotify username or real name? 

If you want to do a username search using "spotify:user:username" then be aware you might need to ask your friends for their Spotify username, which is different to their Facebook username. In the case their account was made via Facebook, their username will be a number. 

There are some steps in this tutorial which should help you. 

Peter

Peter

I just searched your name and 6 other and my search keeps saying "please try another search. Also the people I have subscribed to their playlists spotify shows me that they have 0 playlists?

@bigbadspina - What application are you using? The username search only works on the desktop client. 

Peter

Android

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to search by Spotify usernames (or share tracks to a spotify username) in the mobile applications as far as I am aware. 

Peter

I'm trying to add a friend via the spotify:user:USERNAME method, but I just get a blank page. 

My friend gets the same when trying to add me. Is this feature not working on the current PC client?

It should work, but Spotify are currently having issues with profiles and social:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/My-profile-picture-and-name-won-t-sh...

Peter

I am having this same problem! i can follow another profile but there is no option to add them as a friend so I can't send any music or playlists to anyone. 

Following and adding them as a friend are the same thing in Spotify.

Peter

WHY would Spotify make it do difficult, so genuinely awkward, to find FRIENDS on Spotify? It just seems so fundamental to what they do. Wouldn't looking at your Spotify Friends (not necessaruly Facebook friends), be one of the more powerful routes to DISCOVERING music? I just don't get it. It's like the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. And isn't it better for EVERYONE (labels, users, musicians/artists). C'mon guys (execs at Spotify) - you can get THIS (the FRIEND thing) right.

I KNOW!! Im having the exact same problem,  serously this friendfinder (or wtvr u call it) extremelly stinks...

Suggested posts