Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection/ app shows offline despite on WiFi or data

Hi. For the past few days, I've been completely unable to use spotify on mobile data. I have the allowance to do so but all the tracks are grayed out and I get a "no internet connection" error at the bottom. It works perfectly fine on WiFi.

I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling 

Logging out and back in several times

I have the Premium Student plan and a Samsung Note 10.

Hey everybody,

We would happily like to share with you that we’ve looked into this issue once more and our team has made various changes on the back-end to improve it.

For this reason we are setting it closed. Everything should be working much more smoothly from now on.

Nevertheless if you’re still experiencing difficulties in the matter, keep in mind that it might be because of the specifics of your network or device settings. As such We would again like to refer you to some steps that we’ve previously mentioned. They usually do the trick and if you follow and try all of them there's a high chance the issue will be resolved or you'll at least find the cause of it:

• Thoroughly reinstall the app with these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'll be there for you in the help boards if you need anything else.

Cheers!

Comments
Shiraonni

Issue: Spotify desktop app doesn’t play songs, even if I have a full internet connection.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Opened the app one day and it wouldn’t play.

Steps I’ve tried:

• Uninstalled the app and installed the app quite a number of times
  • Changed DNS
  • Went to my school's IT department, and they say they haven’t been messing with any of the settings remotely.
  • Toggled hardware acceleration on and off.

Device and Operating System: Macbook Pro, 10.14.6 MacOs Mojave.

Spotify Account: Free

App version of Spotify: 1.1.18.611.g9cc9bdc9

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 3.00.00 pm.png

dressedinblack

Plan

Premium (family)

Country

Poland

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 13.2.2

Hi! I've been having a problem with Spotify for a few days. When I'm using WiFi, everything is ok. When I switch to mobile data, Spotify is offline and can't connect. I can only listen to downloaded playlists. Any other app that requires internet connection works perfectly fine, the problem is just with Spotify. 

I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped.

What I've already tried:

- turning the mobile data off and on

- checking if I have enough data allowance

- turning the phone off and on

- logging out and back in

- checking Spotify settings, offline mode is off

- checking iPhone settings, mobile data is on for the app 

- updating the app

- updating iOS to the newest version.

Nothing worked. Is there any other solution to this problem? 

I use Spotify a lot when I'm not at home and I can't connect to WiFi so it's important for me to be able to use it on mobile data.

Jacob

Hey @dressedinblack, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Could you first try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app? If this doesn't work, we can try a few other things.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

dressedinblack

Hi! I tried a clean reinstall, I forgot to mention that in my post. Unfortunately it didn't work.

Luan

Hey, @Aleximex 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Firstly, I recommend that you take a look at Spotify settings and check if the app is running the Offline mode. If it is, disable it.

Perhaps your cell phone may be avoiding that Spotify has access to your mobile data. You can check it on your Note 10 data settings.

If everything is alright on backstage, try to reboot your device and check if the issue persists. If it does, let me know.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

Aleximex
Thanks for the reply.

I just tried your solution. I've allowed Spotify to use data, even while in
the background. And Spotify is not in offline mode.

After a reboot, my issue is still present.
Jacob

@dressedinblack,

Based on all the troubleshooting you've tried, it sounds like it might be an issue with your device. The only troubleshooting steps you haven't yet tried that I would recommend are the following:

• Make a new Spotify account and see if that helps with the issue. If it does, use that new account instead of your current one, or
  • Backup and then factory reset your phone. After the factory reset, before you restore from backup, try installing Spotify and seeing if the issue is fixed. If it is, restore from backup and check again.

I recognize that both of those steps are highly inconvenient and I'm really sorry I have nothing easier to suggest.

Let me know if you need some more help, I'll be here!

Luan

Hey again, dude!

Now, I recommend that you try a clean reinstallation of the app. It's different than the fast reinstallation, so I recommend that you take a look at this article and follow the steps. After that, let me know if the issue was solved or wasn't.

Kind Regards,

hezorg

1qc-2kx5w0_t6

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland, Orange

Device

iPhone SE

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Hello,

When iPhone switch from wifi to mobile data spotify turns on offline mode. Only restart the iPhone helps but only for 1-2 hours. Rest apps works fine. I tried reinstall the app, log off, restart iPhone setting. Spotify still does not work.

Aleximex

Hi. After doing a clean reinstall, this problem continues to exist.