Inbox and messages

29 people liked this

Inbox and messages

Community Manager
Community Manager
‎2017-02-23 12:03 PM

Hey everyone. Spotify here.

We are currently in the process of deprecating the Inbox/Messages feature within the Spotify app.

Extensive data analysis has shown that this feature has very low engagement. The huge disparity between the use of the feature and the manpower required to maintain it doesn’t merit keeping it running, so we've taken the difficult decision to remove it.

In turn, this will allow us to focus our efforts on improving the features we know you do use a lot, as well as work on exciting integrations with all the awesome third-party messaging apps out there.

It’s still very easy to share and chat about music from Spotify. You can check out this support article to discover other ways for getting social.

We’re always trying out innovative ways to use the app, so stay tuned for new sharing features in the future.

If you’re interested to learn more about how the Spotify app evolves, have a look at our article about testing and why features change.

Lastly, we would love it if you could share your feedback about how you share Spotify music with your friends right now, and what social integrations you’d like to see added to the Spotify app, in this thread.  

Thanks in advance for bringing your feedback to the Community.

What I'm listening to:

1,801 Replies
12 people liked this

Messages inbox missing from desktop version

Music Fan
‎2016-09-11 06:09 PM

I can no longer see the messages icon on the desktop version. 

188 people liked this

Re: Inbox and messages

Concert Regular
‎2017-02-23 01:16 PM
NO!!! Dammit Spotify...
162 people liked this

Concert Regular
‎2017-02-23 01:32 PM
I would love if you brought back the messaging and inbox system :3
307 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-02-23 02:44 PM

Very disappointing. It was a great feature. People would have used it more if you had enabled a notification system for new messages, as many times requested in the community.

Now youre forcing people to use or sign up for other social media...  What if you dont have Twitter or Facebook or Tumblr? 

How do you send songs in a private way now? 

127 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2017-02-23 03:32 PM

that doesn't sound very innovative to me! guess i'll start looking elswehere 

176 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2017-02-23 07:34 PM

Yeah this is just really disappointing, no way around it. Hard to understand how something seemingly so simple could be deemed too expensive to maintain. What about people who used messages with friends to archive certain music that they had shared with one another without saving to a playlist? Is there no way to at least access old messages?

181 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2017-02-23 07:44 PM

Yeah, how do you access old messages now? We could have been given some kind of notice... I had songs there that I didn't have time to move to playlists. Songs I sent yesterday that for sure were not listented by their recipents yet. 

And yes, inbox = not rocket science. It's like one of the oldest features on the Internet era. How was that hard to maintain? 

And, if too expensive, you could have kept it for premium users at least! I'd have paid an extra dolar to keep it. 

107 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2017-02-23 07:47 PM

Pleaseeeeeeeeee bring it back! I noticed the notifications did not work so I'm sure it would be used more if you could get that to work. I also had important music there that was shared with me and I can't check it anymore. 

132 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2017-02-23 08:03 PM

I appreciate that the feature never seemed to get much love development-wise (notifications would have gone a long way toward increasing engagement, I feel), and I understand the cost-benefit analysis, but is there any way to retrieve the years of messages I had in my inbox?  The icon has simply disappeared, and with it, my social music history--I used this feature to privately share songs all the time.

SUGGESTED POSTS