Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

In June 2015 we released version 1.x of the client for Linux in the testing repository.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

The intention was to fix a few of the bigger issues and then quickly move this to stable. That never happened, since after September, we have had no developers working on the linux client. There are still lots of problem with this version of the client for linux, but we are now seeing much more problems with the old client.

Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't. Link to threads with more issues you have and I will try to add them here. If you can't find your issue already reported, create a new thread and follow this troubleshooting guide for linux.

From now on, the idea is to first release a client to the testing repository as soon as possible, when it is ready internally, then after a week or so if we haven't discovered any serious new crash bug that affects lots of users, it will move to stable. Most of the time, a new linux release will have no linux specific changes, only the changes it shares with the mac and win clients.

Stable repository

To install a client from the stable repository follow the instructions on https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Testing repository

To install a client from the testing repository, follow the same instructions, but replace the word stable with testing.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Looks like the 0.9.17 client is still available, but the package has been renamed to spotify-client-0.9.17. So if you are missing the old client, install that package instead.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Mongolasse wrote:

Hello everyone! 
I am using the official Spotify client for Ubuntu 15. I can't seem to find the "Play in Offline" toggle.
Is this not included in the linux client?

Cheers

Hey @Mongolasse,

This is known issue! For now, you can toggle "Play in Offline' by starting Spotify in the terminal via the following command:

spotify --ap=127.0.0.1

Marked as solution

@k1_hedayati wrote:

I can't find my starred playlist in desktop client, but I have it in web.

Anyone with this issue?

Hey @k1_hedayati,

Starred playlist is gone from the Desktop client for a long time now ( Indeed, you can still find it in play.spotify.com )
Any music you save is now transferred to the 'Your Music' tab instead.

Marked as solution

@campiador wrote:

Spotify! From June 2015 you removed the tray icon and have not yet added it back! 

The tray icon is how a lot of users prefer to control the playback, instead of switching from the current window to a giant Spotify window! 

Can you please tell me how many Linux users are you ignoring?

Out of interest: Why don't you use the MPRIS interface? The Spotify team fixed a bug and since then it's working perfectly! 😄

On Gnome for example:

Bildschirmfoto von »2016-07-27 20-16-19«.png

Personally I think it is a good thing that the tray icon is gone, it's not the standard way of media control on the linux desktop.

Thank you Spotify for making such a great client for Linux, it works a lot better for me than the Android one, even on a tablet 🙂

262 Replies

Why is the Spotify company not hiring a full-time Linux developer to tackle these issues?

EDIT: Spotify does not seem to hear its customers and keeps provinding dangerous buggy software. I recommend that we all contact the commercial and technical support service (link) to fill a complain.

Good idea! Will sprinkle the top post with more links.

By the way, a Last.fm and Linux user just reported that he can listen to Last.fm radio stations now with v1.0.24. Hopefully it will stay this way. 😉

@psaxl wrote:

Why the Spotify company does not hire a full-time Linux developer for tackle these issues?

The reasoning is probably based on the number of actual and potential linux users. But who knows, maybe 2016 will be the year of the linux desktop.

Just installed the latest version. It seems more stable, but it has a lot of issues, and things I'm not a huge fan of. You listed many of them in your post, but I would add the playlist columns being different is a pain (I don't need Added to Playlist to be 3rd priority), and the client just doesn't do well when shrunk down compared to the old client.

I'm a Premium customer, and hearing that no dev has touched it since September seriously makes me reconsider this. My monthly subscription is 100% dependant on your Linux support.

Yeah, I pay for this service; pretty disappointed honestly. I currently have a Google Music/ Youtube Red Trial, and stuff like this seriously makes me consider going back to their services.

@jooon wrote:Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

• Missing tray icon
  • Minimize (to tray)

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't.

FWIW, this one is a big deal for me.  That system tray icon is how I control spotify 99% of the time.  I don't typically want or need a window open for my music player.  Just updated to 1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15 this morning & was greeted with what I consider a regression.  What's it take to get something proritized?

You had no developer working on the Linux client for 5 months?

How can such a major company state that publicly and not be ashamed?

Feeling really disappointed, makes me question my monthly subscription fairly hard!

@tjwley wrote:

FWIW, this one is a big deal for me.  That system tray icon is how I control spotify 99% of the time.  I don't typically want or need a window open for my music player.  Just updated to 1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15 this morning & was greeted with what I consider a regression.  What's it take to get something proritized?

Not that much. Enough people complaining about it, like you just did here. Considered it prioritized. The problem is more that nobody is working on linux specific features, so even though I have now added it to our internal bug tracker of things to fix, nobody is going through that list. When that happens, someone will eventually get to it.

Meanwhile, I saw this post on stackoverflow about this issue. Spotify does not have icon on systray in Ubuntu 14.04 Since it is not really a programming question, it's more like a power user answer, it will probably be deleted from stackoverflow, so I will quote it here for reference:

----

Today the Spotify was updated and its icon disappear on systray on ubuntu 14.04. I used to use this icon to play and stop the musics.

I modified the spotify.desktop and put some entries to control the music using the own spotify icon.

To edit the spotify.desktop, you need to run the following command:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

And replace its content by this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Spotify
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Spotify streaming music client
Icon=spotify-client
Exec=spotify %U
TryExec=spotify
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;Music;Player;AudioVideo;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify
Actions=PlayOrPause;Stop;Next;Previous
​
[Desktop Action PlayOrPause]
Name=Play or Pause
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.PlayPause
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Stop]
Name=Stop
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Stop
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Next]
Name=Next
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Previous]
Name=Previous
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Previous
OnlyShowIn=Unity;

Now, you can controll the spotify using

x2lza

Is it just me or radio is not working in this new version?

Ironically, MPRIS and Minimize to Tray are the only features listed that I really miss. Like I said before, though, there's a ton more I don't care for, but I doubt those are specific to Linux.

What? They are making money off it so they have to show some respect to users and hire some guy(s). At least, until the program is more useful. They are making million dollars but can not hire a Linux guy(s). Shame on you Spotify! 

Well, thanks for the update, but like others have pointed out this is very worrying. Five months it's too much time to be vulnerable to bugs and security fails that may exist. Others small company’s, such as Vivaldi and pCloud, have updated Linux versions of their apps, so I don't understand why Spotify, receiving huge investments every year, can't do this. I hope something change about this.

Marked as solution

Looks like the 0.9.17 client is still available, but the package has been renamed to spotify-client-0.9.17. So if you are missing the old client, install that package instead.

I think the idea here is that they'll release versions more often as the windows/mac one changes, but no one is actually checking the Linux version or fixing Linux integration issues.

Even though this update has taken a long time, I'm really glad it's out now!

I'm fine with the functionalities in current build, so no hate from me. Also no bugs found whatsoever, Linux Mint 17.3 here!

Thanks a lot for the update!

Spotify Premium user here. Rapidly losing patience, though! On Ubuntu Precise (12.04) 32-bit the 1:1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15-5 client won't install due to an unmet libudev1 dependency. There is a symlink hack you can use to get around it that's existed since the beta, but it's yet another problem in addition to all the others reported in this thread. Yeah, I know there are only 10 of us on Linux, management obviously doesn't care, etc.. Thanks for your efforts, at least, Jooon...

Suggested posts