Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Spotify
‎2016-03-02 07:05 PM

tjwley wrote:

FWIW, this one is a big deal for me.  That system tray icon is how I control spotify 99% of the time.  I don't typically want or need a window open for my music player.  Just updated to 1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15 this morning & was greeted with what I consider a regression.  What's it take to get something proritized?

Not that much. Enough people complaining about it, like you just did here. Considered it prioritized. The problem is more that nobody is working on linux specific features, so even though I have now added it to our internal bug tracker of things to fix, nobody is going through that list. When that happens, someone will eventually get to it.

8 people liked this

Spotify
‎2016-03-02 07:10 PM

Meanwhile, I saw this post on stackoverflow about this issue. Spotify does not have icon on systray in Ubuntu 14.04 Since it is not really a programming question, it's more like a power user answer, it will probably be deleted from stackoverflow, so I will quote it here for reference:

----

Today the Spotify was updated and its icon disappear on systray on ubuntu 14.04. I used to use this icon to play and stop the musics.

I modified the spotify.desktop and put some entries to control the music using the own spotify icon.

To edit the spotify.desktop, you need to run the following command:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

And replace its content by this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Spotify
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Spotify streaming music client
Icon=spotify-client
Exec=spotify %U
TryExec=spotify
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;Music;Player;AudioVideo;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/spotify
Actions=PlayOrPause;Stop;Next;Previous
​
[Desktop Action PlayOrPause]
Name=Play or Pause
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.PlayPause
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Stop]
Name=Stop
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Stop
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Next]
Name=Next
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next
OnlyShowIn=Unity;
​
[Desktop Action Previous]
Name=Previous
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Previous
OnlyShowIn=Unity;

Now, you can controll the spotify using

x2lza

Festival Fanatic
‎2016-03-02 07:17 PM

Is it just me or radio is not working in this new version?

3 people liked this

Festival VIP
‎2016-03-02 07:32 PM

Ironically, MPRIS and Minimize to Tray are the only features listed that I really miss. Like I said before, though, there's a ton more I don't care for, but I doubt those are specific to Linux.

5 people liked this

Concert Regular
‎2016-03-02 08:59 PM

What? They are making money off it so they have to show some respect to users and hire some guy(s). At least, until the program is more useful. They are making million dollars but can not hire a Linux guy(s). Shame on you Spotify! 

Edited
Garage Band
‎2016-03-02 10:04 PM

Well, thanks for the update, but like others have pointed out this is very worrying. Five months it's too much time to be vulnerable to bugs and security fails that may exist. Others small company’s, such as Vivaldi and pCloud, have updated Linux versions of their apps, so I don't understand why Spotify, receiving huge investments every year, can't do this. I hope something change about this.

7 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2016-03-02 10:09 PM

Looks like the 0.9.17 client is still available, but the package has been renamed to spotify-client-0.9.17. So if you are missing the old client, install that package instead.

Festival VIP
‎2016-03-02 10:10 PM
I think the idea here is that they'll release versions more often as the windows/mac one changes, but no one is actually checking the Linux version or fixing Linux integration issues.

Music Fan
‎2016-03-02 10:30 PM

Even though this update has taken a long time, I'm really glad it's out now!

I'm fine with the functionalities in current build, so no hate from me. Also no bugs found whatsoever, Linux Mint 17.3 here!

Thanks a lot for the update!

3 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2016-03-03 02:45 AM
Spotify Premium user here. Rapidly losing patience, though! On Ubuntu Precise (12.04) 32-bit the 1:1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15-5 client won't install due to an unmet libudev1 dependency. There is a symlink hack you can use to get around it that's existed since the beta, but it's yet another problem in addition to all the others reported in this thread. Yeah, I know there are only 10 of us on Linux, management obviously doesn't care, etc.. Thanks for your efforts, at least, Jooon...
SUGGESTED POSTS