Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

In June 2015 we released version 1.x of the client for Linux in the testing repository.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

The intention was to fix a few of the bigger issues and then quickly move this to stable. That never happened, since after September, we have had no developers working on the linux client. There are still lots of problem with this version of the client for linux, but we are now seeing much more problems with the old client.

Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't. Link to threads with more issues you have and I will try to add them here. If you can't find your issue already reported, create a new thread and follow this troubleshooting guide for linux.

From now on, the idea is to first release a client to the testing repository as soon as possible, when it is ready internally, then after a week or so if we haven't discovered any serious new crash bug that affects lots of users, it will move to stable. Most of the time, a new linux release will have no linux specific changes, only the changes it shares with the mac and win clients.

Stable repository

To install a client from the stable repository follow the instructions on https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Testing repository

To install a client from the testing repository, follow the same instructions, but replace the word stable with testing.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

262 Replies

Put some developers to work in linux please

Well, I can agree with most of guys, that missing tray support for Linux sucks so much. As stated before by others, I too most of the time control Spotify using tray icon. I'm considering to move back to older version just to have that decent use of the app feeling...

In fact Linux desktop app is the only thing that keeps me paying for Spotify instead of any other streaming service. I don't use Windows/OSX client, I extremely rarely use Android client so I don't care about state and quality of those. Linux client without try icon and proper MPIRS support is not much better than browser window... (which is not good enough for media player as well). My mobile carieer offers 2 years of free Tidal subscription for every customer so it seems that it's good idea to give them a try.

Not sure if it's due to the missing tray icon, but Spotify doesn't show up at all on the task bar using Ubuntu with Cinnamon, so the only way to switch to the Spotify window is with alt+tab. I'll have to downgrade, it's unfortunate to go back to not having essential features like viewing the play queue, but the task bar issue if much too frustrating to put up with.

Edit: only just noticed there is a play queue in the older version!

no4b wrote:

In fact Linux desktop app is the only thing that keeps me paying for Spotify instead of any other streaming service. I don't use Windows/OSX client, I extremely rarely use Android client so I don't care about state and quality of those. Linux client without try icon and proper MPIRS support is not much better than browser window... (which is not good enough for media player as well). My mobile carieer offers 2 years of free Tidal subscription for every customer so it seems that it's good idea to give them a try.

Its pretty much the same for me.

I'm currently paying for spotify premium only because of the linux client. If it will remain in the state as it is now, i'll cancel my subscription and move on.

Oh c'mon, there has to be enough linux users to atleast make a feature complete player. (Premium Member)

and why has been tray support removed? It is very frustrating 😞

Another Linux Spotify premium member here.

Even though I'm glad about bringing the state of the linux version at "almost" the same state, having it integrated with MPIRS, music menu, is very important, as I like to have the play the music that way.

Also the tray icon, minor for me, but I understand the use case.

Considering using google music with 3 months trial, as the player is the only thing that makes me stay with spotify.

not having a tray icon really sucks for me.

I can't even see the window on my Taskbar (using Linux Mint), so I have to ALT-Tab to Spotify once it is out of focus.

Please fix this. I'm a premium user, and considering to stop my premium subscription...

Thank you very much for the update.

You completly broke it now and the spotify client is no longer able to run on a debian wheezy 7 i386 installation due to dependencie failure.

spotify: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.19' not found (required by spotify)
spotify: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by spotify)

Guess i will have to cancel my subscription now and start looking for a alternative source of music or go back to downloading music

Spoiler

not having a tray icon really sucks for me.

I can't even see the window on my Taskbar (using Linux Mint), so I have to ALT-Tab to Spotify once it is out of focus.

Please fix this. I'm a premium user, and considering to stop my premium subscription...

Yes. same problem here on my fedora 23 workstation. it feels like the linux client is a joke to them 😞

One reason why I pay spotify every month is because they have a linux client. To read, that nobody is working on it for 5 months really is annoying. Please take some time to work on the linux client if you like to keep me as premium user. Otherwise I will have to see where I can get another streaming service with better linux support

I am exactly in the same case than @andimueller

Whether Spotify show willing to continue the development of this application will decide of my subscription.

The most urgent matter is this MPIRS support which is currently broken. And why not releasing part of the code source in order to let the community fix whatever need to be fixed?

I'm a spotify premium user, and I feel like spotify is making fun of us, not valuing the Linux client at all. Features break with newer versions while they were already working in an older client. WTF?

Just get some bucks together and produce a working Lnux client....how do you expect Linux people to pay for a service they can't even use in a decent way on their computer?!

Hi,

It's my first post here. I am also premium Spotify user paying for membership from over 2 years. Please hire someone Linux Spotify client developers. Native Linux client is the only reason why I choosed Spotify.

Thank you in advance.

James.

Ok

so i managed to scrape up a old 0.9.4.183 i386 version from my APT cache on the computer and finaly managed to DOWNGRADE to have a working product.

Please PM me if you need a copy of the deb package to get your spotify working on debian wheezy ( confirmed ) and i will arrange to send it to you.

MD5 sum of my file:

20113ac3d6760ded6940fef8143fa9a3 spotify-client_1%3a0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_i386.deb

Does not work very will this new version... 

If i minimize it, i have no way to get it open again. If click the spotify icon in the menu it opens Spotify again, but keeps playing in the one that has been lost. Mabye usefull I want to listen to two songs at the same time.

Using linux mint 17.1 x64

Paid user since the start of 2011, like the service but right now its too broken for everyday use without massive frustration...

The official spotify repo has the old version has a separate package spotify-client-0.9.17, so you didn't have to go through all that. Just install the other one.

Yes. if you are running amd64not i386

Ah. Ouch

Suggested posts