Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!
1 person liked this

Re: Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Edited
Garage Band
‎2016-04-07 10:46 AM

If anyone want to downgrade to the previous 0.9.17.8 version, follow this guide:

https://github.com/olejon/spotcommander/wiki/DowngradeSpotify

My problem with the v 1.0 version is that they have broken the D-Bus MPRIS implementation. I am unable to get PlaybackStatus (times out), and OpenUri is broken.

Please fix @jooon !

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!
1 person liked this

Community Legend
‎2016-04-07 02:26 PM

olejon wrote:

My problem with the v 1.0 version is that they have broken the D-Bus MPRIS implementation. I am unable to get PlaybackStatus (times out), and playing a URI that is not a track (album, artist, etc.) only opens it, it doesn't start to play.

Please fix @jooon !

Hey @olejon,

I posted a workaround for the autoplay issue here.

uri=spotify:album:4sb0eMpDn3upAFfyi4q2rw # We are going to use this variable to access the metadata for the album.
song=$(curl -G "http://ws.spotify.com/lookup/1/?uri=$uri&extras=track" | grep -E -o "spotify:track:[a-zA-Z0-9]+" -m 1) # Get the first track of the Album. We are going to use this variable in next line.
dbus-send  --print-reply --session --type=method_call --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Pause && dbus-send  --print-reply --session --type=method_call --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.OpenUri "string:$song" 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | Website |
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Gig Goer
‎2016-04-07 03:35 PM

Hello everyone! 
I am using the official Spotify client for Ubuntu 15. I can't seem to find the "Play in Offline" toggle.
Is this not included in the linux client?

Cheers

Highlighted
3 people liked this

Community Legend
‎2016-04-07 03:38 PM

Mongolasse wrote:

Hello everyone! 
I am using the official Spotify client for Ubuntu 15. I can't seem to find the "Play in Offline" toggle.
Is this not included in the linux client?

Cheers

Hey @Mongolasse,

This is known issue! For now, you can toggle "Play in Offline' by starting Spotify in the terminal via the following command:

spotify --ap=127.0.0.1

Twitter | Website |

Gig Goer
‎2016-04-07 03:54 PM
Thanks a lot! Stupid question, but this will revert back if I restart Spotify? :)

Community Legend
‎2016-04-07 04:29 PM

Hey @Mongolasse,

Yes it will, but you can create bash ( or I can create one for you ) script and start Spotify this way all the time : )

Twitter | Website |

Gig Goer
‎2016-04-07 04:33 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick help! :)

No need to make it a bash, I am only using it once in a while, its just good to know that I still have to possibility to do it..

Edited
Garage Band
‎2016-04-07 05:40 PM

@Dreadlord Yeah, that's a possibility, using the web API, but it still is too bad that it at least can not work as before. I wish the other stuff listed (MPRIS) could work as well, so I don't have to use PulseAudio commands to control Spotify's volume (only), keyboard button simulation to toggle shuffle/repeat etc. Would be really great if we could get Position, Seek etc. as well.

Pretty sure I could work around this particular issue using only D-Bus when I tried when the beta was released without any web requests etc., but can't seem to find the combination of commands now. It was a weird one...

EDIT: Turns out that was just the workaround to play a new track, pausing the currently playing one before using OpenUri on a new one. Anyway your workaround only plays the album. No way to play an artist.

I have no idea, but I can not imagine it would be too hard to implement at least what we had before. There seems to be many people using D-Bus, after all Linux users love to make scripts and do a lot of cool stuff with it.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Roadie
‎2016-04-08 01:13 AM

After the latest update, my Spotify client starts in full screen.

Community Legend
‎2016-04-08 08:47 AM

olejon wrote:

@Dreadlord Yeah, that's a possibility, using the web API, but it still is too bad that it at least can not work as before. I wish the other stuff listed (MPRIS) could work as well, so I don't have to use PulseAudio commands to control Spotify's volume (only), keyboard button simulation to toggle shuffle/repeat etc. Would be really great if we could get Position, Seek etc. as well.

Pretty sure I could work around this particular issue using only D-Bus when I tried when the beta was released without any web requests etc., but can't seem to find the combination of commands now. It was a weird one...

EDIT: Turns out that was just the workaround to play a new track, pausing the currently playing one before using OpenUri on a new one. Anyway your workaround only plays the album. No way to play an artist.

I have no idea, but I can not imagine it would be too hard to implement at least what we had before. There seems to be many people using D-Bus, after all Linux users love to make scripts and do a lot of cool stuff with it.

You can adjust the workaround to play an artist. I made it long ago for a guy that wanted to autoplay an album. :)

A quick note is that we are looking for fixed MPRIS2 support in next build. : - )

Twitter | Website |

SUGGESTED POSTS