Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify not showing in window list

[Linux] Spotify not showing in window list

Hi,

on my two Antergos (Arch Linux) Machines, i cannot see spotify in my taskbar/window list. However, it's visible in Alt-Tab-List.

1.) Issue is occuring on my ThinkPad X220 and my desktop computer (AMD FX4300, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 4TB HDD), both using Antergos Linux using Cinnamon 2.8.6 Desktop.

2.) I am using Spotify Premium (prepaid)

3.) I am using Spotify 1.0.19.106.gb8a7150f for Linux (installed from AUR (installs the offical .deb file + dependcities))

4.) When using spotify, it isn't listed in the taskbar/window switcher/window list. However, when pressing ALT-TAB, i can see spotify and switch to it's window. You can see the opened spotify window in the attatched Screenshot, and also it is not in the taskbar.

5.) Install Spotify on Antergos Cinnamon using yaourt -S spotify, start spotify.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2016-02-04 23-38-46.png
5 Replies

I have the same problem on Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop.

The following workaround works for me: Move the window to another workspace and back.

based on your "solution", i've created a script which does this automaticly:

You need to have wmctrl installed:

# Debian/Ubuntu
sudo apt-get install wmctrl

# ArchLinux
sudo pacman -S wmctrl

Open Terminal or Text editor with root rights, and run

sudo nano /usr/bin/spotify-fix

Paste the following script:

#!/bin/bash

spotify &
sleep 2s
wmctrl -r 'Spotify' -t 1
sleep 1s
wmctrl -r 'Spotify' -t 0

(Opens spotify, waits 2 Seconds, moves it to 2nd workspace and moves it to the 1st one again after 1 second.)

Then edit spotify's application "shortcut":

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Find the lines that start with "Exec=" and "TryExec=" and replace "spotify %U" with "spotify-fix %U".

Thats it 🙂

Also appears in window list when moving between two monitors. But seems cinnamon-related as I experience this with some other programs as well and also only when using cinnamon.

I have the same issue on Linux Mint but only after updating 17 to 17.3 so it sounds like cinnamon's fault.

Interestingly, this does not work for me (Cinnamon 2.8.8, Spotify version 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853). To be precise, the window does get moved, but that doesn't make it appear in the window list. Manually moving the window between workspaces does make it appear, however.

Suggested posts