Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files don't play

Solved!

Local files don't play

I have a few MP3s on my computer and Spotify automatically detected them. I went to play them on my computer, and it told me the song wasn't available, but I could import it if I have the files on my computer(this is stilll in the local files folder). I went into the settings and manually added the folder the MP3s are in, and they still won't play. Any help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Alright, I got it!

The reason Spotify can't play some of these MP3 files is because they have a large cover art embedded in them. The files I was messing with particularly had a cover image of about 1400x1400 pixels. So about 4.27MB of the file was just for the image.

Why Spotify is having issues processing a file with a large image while other media players aren't I'm afraid I can't answer. The only insight I can offer is that Spotify has been having cache issues where the same cover art and song title will sometimes remain in the Now Playing placeholder long after a track has finished. It could have nothing to do with that, but maybe.

Anyway, what to do:

• Remove the embedded image from the MP3.
  • I used a tool called MP3TAG which can be downloaded from: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
  • Load your MP3s that are having issues into MP3TAG
  • Double click the file from the list to view the tags on the left pane
  • Right click the Cover Art image at the bottom of the tag information
  • Select "Remove Cover"
  • Save the file by clicking the disk icon (or File/Save)
  • Play the file in Spotify!

I'm glad this finally worked for me, hope it does for you too!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I'm having a similar issue myself that I've been trying to troubleshoot. It sounds like the problem you're having is also affecting only a limited number of MP3s. I have yet to find the denominator for what is making these MP3s not play, but here is the information I posted earlier:

@revureview wrote:

I have some OCRemix MP3s that I downloaded from Shinesparkers that play in every other media player just fine, (VLC, Windows Media Player, Foobar, Media Monkey) but when I try to play the "Local File" in Spotify I receive a flag that says: "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Obviously, the file is already on the computer since it was auto-imported to the Spotify Local Files list. When I right-click the file and select "Open Containing Folder" it goes directly to where the MP3 is located on the hard drive, so it knows where they are.

I even added the songs to a playlist and they were able to sync to my Android device which plays the files without any problem. It is only on the local PC that there is an issue.

Here are some specs:

PC: Windows 10 Pro x64

Spotify: v. 1.0.37.150.gad02a02e

What has already been tried:

-Used MP3Val to verify the MP3s were good (they were all listed OK)

-Downloaded and installed the Window Media Feature Pack OOB x64

-Ran the Foobar Rebuild MP3 Stream process

-Ran the Foobar Fix VBR MP3 Header

-Uninstalled and Reinstalled Spotify and updated the latest version

-Moved MP3s to a simpler directory structure

-Deleted and redownloaded affected MP3s

-Ran Foobar utilities again

I'm at a loss as to why an MP3 would work in Windows Media Player, but not in Spotify. It's as though Spotify is refusing to acknowledge that the MP3s exist on the hard drive. 

Here is the download location for the MP3s I'm dealing with if any other Spotify users would care to try and download one of the MP3s to see if they are affected in the same manner: http://www.metroid-database.com/harmonyofahunter101.php

I'll keep messing with this myself, but any assistance would be much appreciated

Some people said they tried a few of the steps I listed and it worked for them. It would be great to see if someone else is having the same problem with the same MP3s. If you have a chance to download and test a few MP3s in the link or run through a few of the steps it would be great to hear more on it.

Thanks!

PROGRESS!

I've managed to make some of my files play in Spotify. What I did was completely clear the id3 tags from the MP3 file. Why this worked I'm still poking at it and trying to figure it out...

I used a tool called ID3Remover. You can download it from Sourceforge here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/id3remover/

Drag and Drop all your MP3s that aren't playing in Spotify into that, wipe the tags, and then the files will play. I'm still trying to find specifically what tag is causing the problem. Removing all the tags means you lose who the artist is, what album it's from, and any other information stored in those tags. But if you want your files playing in Spotify right now, that should work.

Will report back when I have some more information on what tags are causing the problem.

Marked as solution

Alright, I got it!

The reason Spotify can't play some of these MP3 files is because they have a large cover art embedded in them. The files I was messing with particularly had a cover image of about 1400x1400 pixels. So about 4.27MB of the file was just for the image.

Why Spotify is having issues processing a file with a large image while other media players aren't I'm afraid I can't answer. The only insight I can offer is that Spotify has been having cache issues where the same cover art and song title will sometimes remain in the Now Playing placeholder long after a track has finished. It could have nothing to do with that, but maybe.

Anyway, what to do:

• Remove the embedded image from the MP3.
  • I used a tool called MP3TAG which can be downloaded from: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
  • Load your MP3s that are having issues into MP3TAG
  • Double click the file from the list to view the tags on the left pane
  • Right click the Cover Art image at the bottom of the tag information
  • Select "Remove Cover"
  • Save the file by clicking the disk icon (or File/Save)
  • Play the file in Spotify!

I'm glad this finally worked for me, hope it does for you too!

Easier method:

I should have checked Foobar from the beginning...

Load all the songs you're having issues with into Foobar2000.

Highlight all of your tracks at once

Right click and select Tagging

Select "Remove All Pictures"

That should do it, the songs will play in Spotify after that, and it doesn't require doing it one track at a time like the other applications.

Thanks revureview! 

This fixed my problem, I was about to go insane trying to figure out why ONE of my local files could only play on my phone and not my desktop (I would get the "you can import this file" message) and removing the cover art from the mp3 with that program worked.

I tried this method, clearing the complete ID3-tag. It worked for some songs, but not for others 😞 Really strange, they have always worked and suddenly it's a problem? Anybody who found other ways to get them working again? 

I too tried stripping out the tags and everything of one file in the one folder Spotify could check for local files. I also tried using the Foobar2000 repair on it. When the file had no name, it didn't appear in "Local Files", however, if you press the [PLAY] button, it played! BTW I have uninstalled spotify, removed all my albums and playlists and completely started again, however my online account still retains a greyed-out reference to one of my local songs (in the song list) and it won't let me delete it.

Suggested posts