Minimize Spotify in system tray Windows 7 x64

Solved!

Minimize Spotify in system tray Windows 7 x64

Music Lover
‎2013-01-23 03:33 PM

Well... I'm dissapointed now. Why in the world you removed the option to minimize Spotify in system tray? Now it's just wasting space in my taskbar. Bring this option back ASAP!

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Minimize Spotify in system tray Windows 7 x64

Garage Band
‎2015-03-18 10:03 AM

wow, cannot believe it but Spotify removed that guide in this forum which show how to do downgrade to old version!

Here is what I did and what was in guide (for windows):

Get old version of spotify from  http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/

Install it and don't open it. if it auto open, exit application before it auto update.

Go to C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

create a new file in notepad and name it spotify_new.exe

create another new file and name it spotify_new.exe.sig

Make both files read only.

Spotify cannot update anymore. Enjoy!

Festival Fanatic
‎2015-03-23 10:54 AM

I made a small wrapper application for Spotify that takes care of minimizing with a simple left click on an icon in the system tray. You can get it here: http://www.witchmastercreations.com/freeware-spotify-wrapper-minimize-spotify-to-system-tray/ .

Music Lover
‎2015-03-25 02:35 AM

Don't just THINK about killing your subscription.  Do it, then tell them why.

This is completely unacceptable.

"Make the X close Spotify?"  Fine.  That's fine.  It's a big issue for some; me, I don't care.

What I and so many others are railing at is the REMOVAL OF THE SYSTEM TRAY ICON, and the ability to MINIMIZE SPOTIFY TO THE SYSTEM TRAY.  I honestly don't care which button I push (X or _) to make that happen.  I really don't.  But having the only way to use my desktop player be to have it take up valuable taskbar space?  Completely unacceptable.

Devs, you did NOT have to remove minimize-to-systray in order to "make the X close Spotify".  Those are TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE ISSUES.

I am now cancelling my Premium Subscription.  When this is fixed, I will be back.

If this issue affect the rest of you, I suggest you do the same. 

Concert VIP
‎2015-04-02 07:12 PM

Soooooooooooo who here has tried TIDAL?

I have. And it's freaking amazing.

And you know what? Not only does its user interface not suck, and not only does it sound LITERALLY (not literally in the 2015 not actually really truly sense, but literally oh God literally) seven times better than the 320kbps 'high quality' audio on Spotify, but the content is way better too. You don't have to search through 50 songs on a crap playlist to find one good song. They're all bloody good.

Spotify has proven they don't care what you think. They haven't changed the app. They've ignored this thread entirely.

It's time to move on. The tide is rising, and Spotify, Rdio, Google Play, and Pandora are going to be swept away.

Concert Regular
‎2015-04-24 02:03 PM

Same here, I just cancelled my premium subscription.  The minimize being gone was irritating, but now that they've b0rked device management too it's just not worth the money.  The Android client has gotten unusable too.

I have no idea what these clowns are at.   Those using premium and waiting it out can let them know their feelings at premium@spotify.com

Music Lover
‎2015-06-22 12:13 PM

We are almost there...

1. Go to "File"
  2. "Edit"
  3. "Preferences"
  4. Scroll down and click "Show advanced Settings"
  5. Under "Startup and Window Behaviour", enable the "Close button should minimize the Spotify window to the tray"
  6. Bob's your uncle!
191 Replies

Community Legend
‎2013-01-23 04:13 PM

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

I am on the most recent client version (v0.8.8) on Windows 7 x64 and I still have this option.

You just need to activate it by right clicking on the Spotify icon in the system tray and selecting the correct option for you.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Edited
Music Lover
‎2013-01-23 05:11 PM

darn, seems that my Spotify isn't updating automatically. But that fixed the problem. Though should the option be in the settings box in the program window.

EDIT: Kudos and many thanks to you, Sir.

Music Fan
‎2014-03-21 05:47 PM

Perfect answer- this needs to come up first on google.

Music Lover
‎2014-06-12 09:17 PM

This post did show up first in my search results, even though I mistakenly typed "taskbar" instead of "system tray." It works for me, much appreciated! I too wish there was an option in the settings page to make the minimize button do this.

Music Fan
‎2014-09-18 04:30 AM

Thanks, works on Windows 8 as well. 

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-03-12 11:46 AM

Hi guys, I open my spotify and I can see it on the task bar, but it doesn't appear in the tray... please help!

Aon
Music Fan
‎2015-03-12 12:07 PM

Same here, Spotify auto updated, and suddenly it won't minimize to tray. I can't seem to find any option for it? (I tried right clicking it in my taskbar, but no luck. I can hover on it but then only prev, pause/play, next icons come up.

Also, suddenly I can't right click and press play on my folders or playlists. This seems like a huge step back

Music Fan
‎2015-03-12 02:00 PM

Yeah i've accidently closed Spotify down a few times since the update. It no longer minimizes to tray. Please re-add this functionality.

Music Fan
‎2015-03-12 02:32 PM

yes - this absolutly important feature was removed. *headbashing*

PLZ re-add this feature to the Spotify option dialog. THX.

just4info:
Other UI changes are also weak (i.e. moved volume control from left to right) and other more. but nice is the history. thx.

SUGGESTED POSTS