Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Multiple SpotifyHelper.exe Processes

Solved!
Highlighted
8 people liked this

Multiple SpotifyHelper.exe Processes

Regular
‎2013-09-24 04:40 PM

Ever since updatin gto the latest version of Spotify I am having an issue with mutiple instances of SpotifyHelper.exe runnign in my taskmanager, even though i had disabled it through my preferences. Is this some new bug with the latest version of Spotify, or am I alone on this?

I can't continue using Spotify like this because it is chewing up my very limited memory.

Here are two screen caps of whats going on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
5 people liked this

Re: Multiple SpotifyHelper.exe Processes

Edited
Roadie
‎2013-10-01 02:39 PM
    tw1st wrote:

Well whether or not they are chewing up CPU/RAM this is still a bug, no? From what I understand others are having the same issue occur, I guess all we can do at this point is make sure that the developers know about this, and wait for a fix.

Not a bug, an upgrade.  The CEF3 framework allows the current version to run MUCH more smoothly than the previous few versions.

I've been looking at Process Explorer to see what's going on.  The Activity Feed DOES make the main spotify.exe process max out ONE CPU.  Discover will chew up RAM.  Swarm.fm eats up a TON of RAM.  When you browse away from the apps, or close your Activity Feed, the offending spotifyhelper.exe process closes, a new one opens for whatever you are viewing, like a playlist or artist page, for example, and resource usage goes back to normal.  Process Explorer clearly shows this.

Don't look at your processes, just enjoy the fact the that the software works better.  If you insist on looking at your processes, do a thorough job and use Process Explorer [freeware from MS] and not Windows Task Manager.

Process Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

26 Replies

Community Legend
‎2013-09-24 05:12 PM

Hi, and welcome to the community!

There is a topic about this here. It seems to be something to do with the upgrade from CEF1 to CEF3 from the looks of things.

I agree it can be a nuisance as I have it too, but I'm pretty sure there's no solution unfortunately!

Anthony :)

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Regular
‎2013-09-24 06:41 PM

ks fo ryour reply, I must have missed the other thread. Glad to kow it's not just me, ill post on that one. Thanks again!

Casual Listener
‎2013-09-28 03:28 PM

I have same thing its ok when im on my pc as pc very fast but I notice it on my laptop as its just a basic laptop they are all being used as I have monitor it cant see why spotfy has to have so many running can spotify please tell us why as love spotify but its bad that it is doing this I know they say they have web player but I dont like that I like having the software 

Many Thanks

A.Boughen

1 person liked this

Edited
Roadie
‎2013-09-28 04:48 PM

Read the release notes regarding CEF3.  In the old version, Spotify would stall out.  This doesn't happen anymore.

If you open Task Manager or Process Explorer you can shut down any of the spotifyhelper.exe processes without killing the whole program.  You'll also see that they are not using a lot of CPU, only RAM.  Its likely an app that's eating up all your RAM.

4 people liked this

Casual Listener
‎2013-09-29 12:49 PM
You cant stop them because as soon as you do another one pops up and they are using a lot of cpu because i have monitor it and its since spotify had its last up date

Roadie
‎2013-10-01 03:23 AM

They should only be using CPU when opening an app.  Once its up and running, there shouldn't be any CPU used, or not much.

7 people liked this

Edited
Casual Listener
‎2013-10-01 04:36 AM

^ wrong again. **bleep** me are you unhelpful. please stop posting.

Roadie
‎2013-10-01 04:53 AM

Look at the picture posted above.  No CPU usage, only RAM.

1 person liked this

Regular
‎2013-10-01 02:06 PM

Well whether or not they are chewing up CPU/RAM this is still a bug, no? From what I understand others are having the same issue occur, I guess all we can do at this point is make sure that the developers know about this, and wait for a fix.

SUGGESTED POSTS