Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Solved!

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Hello Spotify users,

This thread is for the community who have been selected to test the new web player design.

I've noticed that there is a great change probably hinting at spotify getting rid of some features and adding new ones. It is very important that the users of spotify give feedback to these new changes.

FEATURES TO CONSIDER:

- Save feature needs to be added. The save feature needs to be added back on albums and singles. 

- Interactive profiles. Profiles arent interactive anymore. I seen the riddence of public playlists on profiles and what artists users are listening too. It would be nice to actually improve the profiles picture and make contacting and connecting to other users easy.

- Make accessibility to playlists and customization to playlist easier. Because of the new bulky UI it is hard to find what you're looking for.

- Make the UI less bulky-- the colors are nice, the design is nice, but it would be easier if it was efficient. The UI is too bulky, like the songs get overcrowded when listening to an album or playlist.

Any more feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments are welcomed. If you are a visitor, it is nice to see your feedback as you will be using this UI or help develop it. 🙂

THE NEW WEBPLAYER: Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png

Please, like I said, leave feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments. They are all welcomed.

You can contact me or follow me on these various platforms:

Spotify - @Yxngmeezy

Instagram - @Yxngmeezy

Snapchat - @Yxngmeezy

Twitter - @Yxng_meezy

E-mail - miguelishot4@gmail.com

thank you. 🙂

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png
686 Replies

Consider yourself lucky then

Getting this new design is completely random, and trust me, you don't want it

You lucky sod... I would love for the new design to stop appearing when I use web player

Nope, if you are selected for the beta, any web player link will take you straight to the new design with no option of using the old one

this is definitely an upsell move.  they want more money, and likely don't care what the side effects are. 

I really like the new design!

Though a couple of things I've noticed seem to be missing are the current play time indicator, and the ability to play/pause the current song with the spacebar.

I'd really like the old design back or at least the features.  I primarily listened to the Radio feature.  Why is it gone???  This is why I came to spotify in the first place.  Also the volume bar doesn't work well at all.  I'm looking at other music sites now....

i miss the radio feature. i think if you dont bring it back soon i will leave spotify, because i mostly listened to the radio of my favorite artists.

I'm very dissapointed and frustrated because of this new design. 

This whole thing is just lost its personality which made it great before. I could feel that I had my own little world which I could discover inside spotify. Now I'm feeling its a youtube playlist without videos...but with bugs which is really annoying as well.

Every function which made it personalised just gone. I can totally understand if everybody who loved them will leave Spotify. It's just like any other music channel now, there's nothing special about it.

The UI is also sucks.

- No one wants 62 pt font in their face while searching.

- I don't want to think, search and click more than before to find the remained functions.

- I want the sidebar, to see how long are the songs.

- It has nothing like clear design, it's too crowded, too much interaction, too much font size, the webplayer is just not a good user experience. 

But the most annoying thing is that I cannot switch back to the old one (maybe It's a new IE campaign...:))

There are so many things I hate about using this new interface for the last couple of weeks. 

- The userflow is inconsisent with the mobile application making all learned behaviour completely redundant.
- Release dates on tracks/albums are missing (didnt realise I'd miss these until they dissapeared) - I often like to arrange my playlists by date/ want to know about newest music by an artist.
- IMO the font size is too big for a macbook screen. Also inconsistent sizing of fonts between sidebar and page content doesnt look nice to me.
- 'Add to queue' functionality has gone?
- When you scroll a playlist , theres a huge margin under the artwork that seems like a huge waste of real estate to me.
- Album artwork is so small it's unviewable and there's no way to make this larger. It's also no longer right-clickable to add the playing song to a playlist (you have to right click the track name). Part of the experience for me is seeing the visual accompanyment to an album so that's a bummer.

- repeat and shuffle buttons constantly don't work. neither does volume. 

- 'your daily mix' doesnt appear in the side bar like it does on the app.

Feeback:

• The new web UI doesn't work in Firefox 51, Ubuntu 16.04. Browser console shows "uncaught exception: NO_TRACK_PLAYER".
  • The Discover section has disappeared, which means I can't access recommendations.
  • I can't opt out of the beta. (You probably shouldn't force broken betas on premium users...)
  • The UI is inconsistent with other Spotify distributions.

I hate that I can't add songs to queue and scrobble to Last.fm. It's no use for me if I can't use Last.fm so I've stopped using Spotify since this new upgrade, please bring back these features or a way to go back to the old player. I can't install Spotify on my work computer! I'm now listening to Google Play on my phone (which is not the best since it's frowned upon in my office). Glad I didn't get Premium.

Opened my playlist bookmark today and was greeted by the new UI. It's absolutely abysmal what they've done to it.

They've adopted the Microsoft design ideology of "unified platform" where your UI has to look the same across all devices yet ends up looking like garbage on all of them.

The web player looks like it was deisgned for a mobile touch screen. There's far too much dead space, the text is far too big and they removed basic functionality for no apparent reason.

I honestly stopped pirating music years ago because of services like spotify and if their entire goal is to just drive away their userbase then hey, good for them because this is exactly what this is going to do.

The worst part? ADS. I used the web player spefically because I could block the annoying minute long ads and now that they're unblockable I'm never using it again.

I sat through 2 ads and *one* song from my playlist and then ANOTHER AD. If they want people to actually pay for premium how exactly is taking away features, bad redesign and unsatisfied customers supposed to justify the £10 a month? 

I find the new design frustrating for what I use Spotify for:

- I can no longer sort my songs by artist or album

- I can't see nearly as many songs anymore

- When I look at an artist, I can't tell which songs I have added already

- I also enjoyed the popularity metric in finding songs

It feels like the new layout was built for tablets or smartphones. While I'm sure it is helpful to have a simple interface on these devices, I am on a desktop and will greatly miss the loss of these key features.

The whole update seems to focus on discouraging people from using the web player. I use Spotify at work, so the app is not an option. I mostly use it in two modes: discovering new tracks and saving them to my library, and then random shuffle over saved songs. Ignoring the fact that tablet interfaces don't mix well with 23 inch screens, making + button hidden made my workflow really complicated.

I agree with most of the comments above.

While I don't mind being a beta tester, it is not clear how to communicate the feedback to Spotify. The new design really diminished my experience.

You can't delete playlists... 

Can no longer see what song is playing in the tab.

It does remember whether or not you have shuffle selected.

It's things like this that make me wonder if Spotify actual cares about the input of this consumer community. No company that actual listens to the opinions of it's consumers would do something like testing a new product update on randomly selected people without their permission. I loved everything about Spotify since the first day I used it, but I have to say, they've gone downhill from then. The new design layout is the biggest issue I've had so far.

Problems:

- As mentioned a few times already, the UI is not visually appealing on most computers, it looks like it was designed for a tablet. To quote SuzJul, "The large font and large images are overwhelming and mean that I can see fewer songs/playlists/etc. at a time."

- The Radio function is completely gone

- So is the play-queue function

- The Discover playlist still exists, but not the recommendation function, a function I used quite a lot myself

- The Search function is incredibly bulky and inconvenient. With the old version, I could see previous searches, providing essentially a "bookmarks bar". The old version also gave search suggestions even before you completed your search, speeding up the whole process. On the other hand, the new version is really slow. It's also so big, it gives a cramped feeling to everything.

- Overall, the whole layout of everything is slightly confusing and inconvenient, and not very aesthetically pleasing.

- Sharing music with my friends and viewing their playlists was very important to me, and now that feature is gone. For no reason.

- I also preferred my playlists listed on the left hand side much, much more than the "Recently Played" section that has taken it's place.

I will give some credit to the Web Player team, though, the backgrounds look nice, although I still preferred the old version's colors. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on Spotify at all, in fact, it's one of the best things I've ever used on my computer. However, it's gotten worse and I wish the Spotify Web Player team would take our opinions into consideration before testing it on us without consent. I know there are several people in this thread that wish there was a way to opt out of the test group, and I too think that would be fantastic. I have nothing against trying to make a better product, I just think it would be a better idea to ask for volunteers to test it out.

Honestly, I don't think anyone from the Spotify team even looks at any of these posts. These are people who use their product, people who should be valued to them. But even when we share our obvious displeasement and disappointment, they do nothing to fix the problem. This whole community just gives the impression that they're listening to what we have to say, but they aren't. To bring it to their attention, you'd have to directly email them, probably repeatedly, because otherwise they'll just ignore what we have to say.

Suggested posts