Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Solved!

New Spotify Web Player Design [NEW 2017 DESIGN?] | FEEDBACK, IDEAS, QUESTIONS, & COMMENTS

Hello Spotify users,

This thread is for the community who have been selected to test the new web player design.

I've noticed that there is a great change probably hinting at spotify getting rid of some features and adding new ones. It is very important that the users of spotify give feedback to these new changes.

FEATURES TO CONSIDER:

- Save feature needs to be added. The save feature needs to be added back on albums and singles. 

- Interactive profiles. Profiles arent interactive anymore. I seen the riddence of public playlists on profiles and what artists users are listening too. It would be nice to actually improve the profiles picture and make contacting and connecting to other users easy.

- Make accessibility to playlists and customization to playlist easier. Because of the new bulky UI it is hard to find what you're looking for.

- Make the UI less bulky-- the colors are nice, the design is nice, but it would be easier if it was efficient. The UI is too bulky, like the songs get overcrowded when listening to an album or playlist.

Any more feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments are welcomed. If you are a visitor, it is nice to see your feedback as you will be using this UI or help develop it. 🙂

THE NEW WEBPLAYER: Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png

Please, like I said, leave feedback, ideas, questions, and/or comments. They are all welcomed.

You can contact me or follow me on these various platforms:

Spotify - @Yxngmeezy

Instagram - @Yxngmeezy

Snapchat - @Yxngmeezy

Twitter - @Yxng_meezy

E-mail - miguelishot4@gmail.com

thank you. 🙂

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.09 AM.png
686 Replies

It is optional, at least in my (brief...) experience - open.spotify.com links would open the new player and play.spotify.com would open the old one.

Nige111 : Didn't work for me, when I type play.spotify.com, it looks like it is working for a sec and than I am redirected to the open.spotify browser shows up, not even if I log out and log in again nor when i clear cookies...

How bizarre, maybe I wasn't chosen and just by some weird coincidence ended up on the new player for a session, which would explain why I lost access to it after logging out and back in again.

@Yxngmeezy 
* Too big

* Feat_res _re mis_ing

* Too

much

scroll

to

see

the

music

tiles

...Please downgrade it or make it better before release to the public...

can i try

The new design is a huge step backwards in terms of functionality. And it looks ugly.

Can you PLEASE provide a way to switch back to the old version??

Ok, now that I've had a chance to take a look at it, here are some points from my experience.

1. Totally agree with everyone who's mentioned that the save function (the + on albums, songs etc.) needs to come back. I just figured out how to save music today by coincidence after reluctantly using the new version for a few weeks how to save (right click, and it appears to be the same with the radio function).

2. I am not a fan of the Spotify curated playlists in the Featured section being pushed so hard on me in the new design. Spotify, you know my exact taste in music even through the day. Why on earth do you then push the generalized coffee break/study/concentration/morning etc. playlists on me when you know what I like? The old design, although not a lot better at this, did contain some really nice features that felt much more tailored to my taste and they were my favorite parts of the webplayer: The Discover playlist, Radio, New Releases For You etc. The new New Releases contains so, so much rubbish. I was so happy that I'd trained my account to find something new and delicious to me, getting it right 9/10 times, and with the new design it feels like I'm starting all over again based on the New Releases section.

3. If this is how you want to keep it, how about adding the "remove" function back too? (Like the +, but just an x, making you not see this again). That would make the Featured section and New release section bearable, because then you could at least get rid of some of the annoying suggestions. Or could you make it possible to arrange the Featured lists in your preferred order so you are not forced to look at the rubbish ones every time you browse?

4. Recently Played seems to only log playlists played. It is the only way I can find the Discover playlist, unless I refresh the Featured page just at the right time of the day when it happens to be Featured.  I think it's highly impractical that it's only there sometimes and I'm not trusting the Recently Played list to keep track of it for me.

7. The new design is pushing installing the app way too hard in my opinion. At first I thought the change was a stunt to make people install the app. I am not allowed to install anything on my PC for safety reasons, so it's not going to happen. I would like a way of removing the suggestion of installing the app. I've seen it and I'm not interested. Why is it then taking up so much space?

8. This is probably just a test-thing, but please don't forget to put back the option to find your settings.

9. It should seriously be possible to either opt out of tests - or sign up for them. I pay the same as everyone else in my family and they get to use the version with my favorite functions intact and I am forced to give feedback. Good for you and good for the test - the frustration is real - but it does not leave me with the feeling of getting the most for my money.

Just noticed that the volume control in lower right corner will go back to max when lowered.

I'm not gonna lie- this new interface is completely terrible. While there is a higher level of aesthetic, I hardly deem the huge loss of features worth it. The discontinuation of play queue and radio being the more predominant issues. Perhaps if they were reintroduced there wouldn't be half the pushback, but as is I'm considering switching music sites. 

I gave to it too many attempts to "impress" me... but NO! NOTHING attractive, even the pros i mentioned to an older reply are not working some times.... 5 of my 7 co-workers that i had recommended Spotify premium to listen music from their work pc via web player told me the 4 will cancel subscription, only one it doesn't care. I am afraid at this point "dear Spotify AB" you lost my subscription too.

Time to try other services.

First thing I did when I noticed this new change was to go and look up how to use it.

Just going to copy paste my post from reddit (and clean up the swears a tad)

The minimalism of the web player makes it near unusable (self.spotify)

submitted 2 minutes ago by MovkeyB

Here is a list of basic stuff that got removed:

• See the radio
  • See the queue
  • See the song length
  • see how far in the song you are

Here is stuff that got destroyed in terms of functionality.

• adding a song to a playlist is now a lot more difficult and requires moving a lot more bc it opens up a HUGE window instead of the little menu

• The volume slider is not live, its drag and drop so you can't hear the effect of the volume change in real time

Everything is HUGE and they just seem to love all the dead space and tell me pretty much nothing about whats going on.

It's atrocious. I've used it for about 10 minutes and I already despise it with a burning passion. These things I mentioned are just the ones that are just immediately obvious because I USE THEM FREQUENTLY

I seriously don't like this new player design...is ther ANY way I can POSSIBLY revert to the old one? I was so used to the old one, I had to delete my chrome cached files and I come back to the web player looking like the mobile app, all flashy and "new looking"...I know its crazy but I really prefer the old, plain version...It just looks nicer and is easier to use, honestly...

Edit: I just read through some of the other replies, and I had ony partially noticed the loss of features, I had blown up mainly due to the overdoing it on the looks of the player, but the loss of features is also extremely disappointing. 

If anyone has any idea how to get the old player back I would be very happy to follow through. 

Is there anybody who's a fan of this new player? I have seen nothing but very harsh critism for it. 

The new UI sucks. There was nothing wrong with the old one. The unfortunate thing is it will probably take them 6 months to reverse it forcing me to stop using spotify all together.

I don't know if they just wanted to give their UI designers something to do. I don't see any other reason why they would make this extremely unnecessary change.

Am I unable to queue tracks anymore? Why would they remove this function? 

It is fun that none from Spotify touches this thread. They are really **bleep**ting into our face... 

Like everyone else, I'm greatly disappointed in the new UI. I hope they allow a new reversion soon.
Main gripes early are the bulkiness in adding a song to a playlist (I liked the all small popup), extra step needed to add a song to my playlist (which I do often enough to make it annoying), inability to find my friends and their playlists, and larger fonts/pictures (showing less on the screen).
That said, I do like that they added song numbers to the playlists.
The color is nice, though I didn't mind the old version either.

Can't see or add to play queue with the new player screen

Right click doesn't offer "add to Queue" anymore (?)

Fix the bug where shuffle and repeat both turn off everytime you select a new song

That is what I have had to do, but IE is far from good at running spotify smoothly, so I really hope they give us back the old design on Chrome and FF while they fix the new one

Suggested posts