Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pause / Play Not working broken

Solved!

Pause / Play Not working broken

Within the last few days my pause/play buttons have stopped working.  

I used to be able to ues the media buttons on my Logitech Keybard as well as my Logitech Headset (which is wireless bluetooth).  These include pause/play, stop, volume, and Next / Previous song buttons.

Today they are not working at all.  As of at least Weds last week they were.  I tried reinstalling spotify and rebooted multiple times.

Has anything changd that would cause this?  Or is there something in my Windows 7 64-bit environment that happened, that would unassociated Spotify to these hotkeys?

Thanks!!

44 Replies

I have this problem. it wont work unless spotify is the main window

I also have this problem. The hotkeys now only work when Spotify is in focus. I don't have the Google music extension, nor any other extensions that could be taking over use of the hotkeys.

Mine doesn't work when I'm tabbed out of spotify, but when I click on Spotify it works.  Is there a way I can get it to work when Spotify isn't tabbed in?  It worked up until yesterday.

THIS! I have tried many ways to fix this issue and this is the one!! Thank you so much for posting this!

Marked as solution

@adamrprice wrote:

I have the same problem from time to time. It seems that GooGle Play Music takes control of the shortcuts (at least this is what happens on my MacBook). I have Chrome and to fix it, I followed these steps:

• Open Chrome
  • Choose Preferences in the Chrome menu in the menu bar
  • Click Extensions in the left sidebar
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page
  • Click Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Look at the key bindings in the Google Play Music section
  • Click the X in each dropdown box so that each box looks greyedout and reads 'Not Set'

Hopefully that helps some of you. 🙂

I was able to change the drop down menu from "global" to "in chrome", fixing the problem in other programs, while still allowing the shortcut to work in chrome.

This was the solution to my problems as well!

For me it wasn't Google Play Music, but it was Plex instead. Kind of the same solution.

Thanks!

thank you it worked instantly.

THANK YOU!

I noticed the same thing was happening to me. I then figured out it was because I had iTunes also open because I was charging my phone through my laptop. I closed iTunes and the buttons started working again.

i found another ways to fix it. first open your spotify and after that click on the preference ( another way just press CTRL+P ) go to the advance option. then under the compability slide the slider to off and slide it to on again. restart your spotify and it will work again. i hope this will help for those still confused that the google music is not the main problem 🙂 sorry for the bad english.

Thanks for this! 

yep, same for me. I had to turn the plex global shortcuts off in chrome. All works perfectly now 🙂

You are a freaking legend, thanks man!

Thank You! I did not realise Google Play Music would do that. 

I now have full functionality back in my Groove Music Player on windows 10.

Cheers!

I hate to be that person, but I can't seem to find the Keyboard shortcuts(?) option in the chrome settings? Did I do something wrong or go to the wrong place? Can someone provide screenshots because I'm lost.

Click on one of the extensions in the top right. At the bottom of the menue you will see Manage Extensions. Then just go in and disable Play Music. That's what I did and it worked perfectly.

Marked as solution

@esulcj wrote:

I also have this problem. The hotkeys now only work when Spotify is in focus. I don't have the Google music extension, nor any other extensions that could be taking over use of the hotkeys.

I was experiencing the same issue. I do not have the google music extension or anything. Nothing worked for me until I did this... I had to go to the setting (or hit crtl+p) and scroll down til I saw "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" and move the slider to off and it worked when spotify is not in focus.

This worked for me on windows 10 1709, strange thing is that the keys have been working (with the overlay) for the longest time and all of a sudden they broke.

This worked!! to be clear, this is ctrl+P in spotify, open the advanced settings, and then do what this user said. This finally fixed my issue!!

thank you!! I was really in need of this after reinstalling my OS!

Suggested posts