Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes for update 0.9.8 ?

Solved!

Release Notes for update 0.9.8 ?

Hi all,

just wondering where to find the release notes for my newly updated version of the desktop 0.9.8

Clearly its moved away from the very ugly white artist pages and moved to black, much nicer on the eyes, but for whatever reason all the text has got bigger, meaning less tracks on my screen to choose from etc. plus my playlist list is HUGE to scroll through now, thanks to the larger font. Not ideal, albeit better to look at..... Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks,

81 Replies

Can someone upload the new version? Or make a zip with the files from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Spotify and the folder data, the users data no because have the user data.

Thanks in advance

@jelles1988 wrote:

Font size is changeable in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Data\resources.zip 

In the zip is a skin.xml file. There you can change the font family and font size, but i haven't found an option to adjust spacing. Does someone know where that is located? Smaller fonts have no use if the spacing stays the same...

@jelles1988Sadly not. When version 0.9.0 came out I've spent literally hours looking for it in the xml files but to no avail... If you find it, please let me know! ;D

@rsn - In general Spotify don't allow 3rd party links to client versions here on the community. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter, sorry didn't know that. Well in that case i will wait 😕

any ETA for when the linux client will be updated? 🙂

@rsn wrote:

Can someone upload the new version? Or make a zip with the files from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Spotify and the folder data, the users data no because have the user data.

Thanks in advance

AppData is a hidden folder. If you go to C:\Users you have to choose your account name and put it C:\Users\HERE\AppData\Roaming\Spotify. Then it should work if you use windows vista, 7 or 8. Almost all programs store some data in the AppData folder. 

You can also make hidden folders visible: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-vista (works the same for 7 and 😎

That way you can click to the spotify folder

hope we will get it soon too. we didn't get 0.9.6 after all...

haha, it's not easy for Spotify. When they introduced the white interface everyone wanted the old version back. And now people want the white interface back!

I haven't got it myself though, so I can't judge it yet.

Will someone give us that  installer?:PP

It appears the roll out for 0.9.8 has halted due to some issues for the time being. Stay tuned, it will make its way out to you when its ready! 😉 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Why not offer the beta as a separate download rather than rolling it out to random users?

Marked as solution

Glad to see other people have the same issues as me regarding 0.9.8. Here's a list of things that need to be changed. I think we can all agree on them.

• The interface is now TOO dark. This is a darker shade of grey than was previously used before they made the switch to cream/white. The correct shade for the main area of the application is the grey shown in the sidebars.
  • The text is too big. I can see just 16 songs at the load of a playlist at 1680x1050. There's also less room horizontally.
  • The spacing between songs is now too much. This is because they've added the horizontal rule. Simply removing the rule and tightening things up would help a lot.
  • There's a mismatch in the size of the scrollbars on artist pages. The sidebar scrollbar is twice as thick as the scrollbar in the main area. Make them the same.
  • The search box area is white. Make it at least a shade of grey so it doesn't stand out as much.
  • Right clicking on the icon in the taskbar no longer works. I can't close the application or skip tracks via the right click menu.

These are the main issues I have.

On the plus side:

• Playlist duration has made a comeback. At last.
  • The change back to a dark interface means it's finally easier to see what track is playing.

Monsterize.png

Awesome app. Please make available the Connect!

Also my one complain about it: the your music (collection) option is not yet designed into new look. Scrollbar and background white in these pages of your music (like Albums).

@jelles1988

You don't need to enable hidden files.

Just press " Windows-key+R ", write " %Appdata%\Spotify " and press enter 🙂

I'm used to the dark background now and absolutely prefer it over the white. It is just the font size and spacing that is hard to get used to, even on a large monitor and resolution, this looks terrible. So much wasted space!

@brudy wrote:

Not true, Floris. If they had any kind of UX management, Spotify would modify the font and spacing sizes based on resolution. It's called responsive design and it's easy as hell

FYI - When you're working on a large piece of software such as Spotify, nothing is easy. When you've a small website with 100s of users that stuff's easy, but when you've millions of users, 10s of languages, 10s of operating system versions, 10s of resolutions, and a huge database of different data, everything becomes incredibly more complex. Small changes can require days of testing.

Not saying they shouldn't do it, or excusing it, but having worked on both side of the spectrum, i've been on big software projects, where limited time & budget meant that there were "obvious" things that weren't as perfect as we would have preferred, that went out the door.

Before that experience, I would've held the same oopinion as you.

I really like the new dark look and layout.

I very much prefer the black background over the white and I like that it's now super easy to see which track is playing in playlists/artist/album pages. 

As mentioned by hpguru it will also be good when the Your Music sections are updated to the new dark look 🙂

haven't got this update yet, still on the old layout.. ugh.

-Jay

agreed, they did a beta version when "apps" first became available.. why not now?

-Jay

Note: Please DO NOT post download links. It is against the community terms of use. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts