Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

@duncanish wrote:

I don't buy it. I don't see any artist, even the rich ones, buying notifications priority. 

You'd think not, wouldn't you, but in the news today:

Spotify has confirmed it is experimenting with allowing music labels to promote songs by adding them to users' playlists as sponsored content. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40343385

Which is the way many have suspected is the direction they're moving.

Follow me

it's been over a year, why is this function not back yet?

it's seriously starting to annoy me more than it should at this point..

Ugh! I just got a stupid pop up/ overlay on my Android app pushing Lana del Ray on me! STAHP!

me too!!!

A thousand times this!

To add insult...

I was just playing my usual playlists and was surprised to hear 'recommended' songs added that I didn't select.  

Spotify, you dare suppose that your additions are better than mine for my own perosnal playlists. The audacity. 

duncanish schrieb:

To add insult...

I was just playing my usual playlists and was surprised to hear 'recommended' songs added that I didn't select.  

Spotify, you dare suppose that your additions are better than mine for my own perosnal playlists. The audacity. 

At least that one you can disable. Go to settings and disable "AutoPlay". No more random ish cluttering up and disturbing your end-of-playlist experience. I personally can't stand features like that either – there's a reason why I add some tracks to a playlist, and not others. But it seems to be the current way to do it, looking at sites like YouTube and Soundcloud doing the same thing.

For the notifications, however… there is no replacement or workaround within Spotify. It seems that back when they promised to replace it with a new way to be notified of new releases, they were actually seriously considering that Release Radar is a suitable alternative. Nobody who ever listened to music can have been part of that decision-making process.

Thanks for your reply. I'll switch it off yesterday.

Yeah, they are dropping the ball on newer artists and supporting the status quo - labels, already-established trendmakers, and money. A lowest common denominator approach that afflicted Clear Channel and late 90's/2000's radio. Uggh.

Thanks for your reply. I'll switch it off yesterday.

Yeah, they are dropping the ball on newer artists and supporting the status quo - labels, already-established trendmakers, and money. A lowest common denominator approach that afflicted Clear Channel and late 90's/2000's radio. Uggh.

>>>>  dropping the ball on newer . . . . .

May everyone find what they like when they find it . . . .   How to search . . . .  ?

Stopped paying for spotify because of this. Apple music has better sound anyway. Using Beathound as an alternative for getting notifications...

Spotify, listen to your users. Give your PAYING customers more control over notifications. We want to stay updated on our favourite artists and don't get mainstream **** shoved up our ***.

To the other users, any workarounds that are available? Or do Apple and the other guys offer better services? Seriously thinking about switching to another service.

Okay, they wont put if back because WE are the little proletar ans they donner give a ***** about us. We all have to stop paying, maybe they will love.... I think there is a processus for notifications, that every applications have to applied, like mail, or push or wathever. It is not really their faults, the problem is also Apple, Android, Microsoft and the @...

I am reduced to manually checking the artists I am interested in to look for new releases. I've just done such an 'audit' to find I've missed out on 6 new albums. What a waste of my time.

The Release Radar is useless. It includes artists I might have listened to but just don't care about or even artists I don't recall ever listening to. It's just so much noise.

I really don't understand why Spotify insists on ignoring us.

I haven't come across a single person that thinks this was a good idea. "Let's remove the convenient and unobtrusive notification feature so that we can spam users with even more emails than before". F_U_C_K that. #bringbackthebell

New release radar or the mail/push notifications are not a solution ! They constantly miss notifications for artists I follow.. what's the point of following them now ! 

• To whomever set this to solved:  

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Totally agree it shouldn't have been marked as solved.

This means it's no longer an open issue as far as Spotify are concerned so are even more likely to ignore it.

Please Unmark this as the solution 

Agree, this is not a solution.

How hard can it be to get the bell back?

Suggested posts