Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

Solved!

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

UPDATE 3/14/15: This solution works for reverting to ANY previous version of Spotify. Just replace the application with the desired version, 0.8.5 or otherwise. I have successfully used this trick to revert to 0.9.15.27 and 0.8.5.133. Also, APPS continue to work in these previous version. Attached is a screenshot of 0.8.5.133 artist pages, clean, simple, cohesive, text a bit small, and SEARCH function still in tact. 0.8.5.133 also runs MUCH faster on my Windows and Mac machines. 

The "Horrible update [0.8.8]" thread has begun to bury the work arounds for those of us NOT happy with the 0.8.8 update. Here is a guide to reverting to 0.8.5 for Mac. Spotify support has NOT provided a way for us to do this, despite my many attempts.  Hopefully it will help some people who visit the forum.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Find and download a copy of 0.8.5 here
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

Let me know if you have any problems! This has worked for me on OS X 10.8.2. Thanks to th80 for the help on this!

Removed link, not allowed to post links to download packages outside spotify site. hpguru

(Possible security risk removed by Rock Star)

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.10.09 PM.png
175 Replies

This is not working for me in Mac OS X 10.9

After a couple of hours, Spotify ask for restart and update. This is making me really angry, as Simplify (a way of controling Spotify with special keys and other features) is not working. That, and also the lack of Search function in my local library, or the lack of apps.

If this is not reverted/improved soon, I am considering taking my family account somewhere else.

Sorry, but I quite Spotify some time ago.

Have you created the spotify_new.archive.sig and spotify_new.archive files and locked them and placed them in the Spotify folder in application support in the home library? (locking them stops them updating I believe).
I would change to Napster as the library is nearly as big and the interface is much better, but the quality of the streaming is noticeably inferior to Spotify.

I've used this successfully on a 10.9 machine. Try again? It works...

Could it be that I am doing something wrong? 

When I create the two files, I go to "Get Info", and then to the lock item at the bottom of the get info window. I should leave it closed? Or do I need to open the lock (it ask for the password). In any case, I don't see any lock icon after try both options. I don't know if I am missing anything here.

Oh, nevermind. I just realized that I should check the checkbox "locked", not to go to the bottom of the page where the lock icon is placed. I hope it would work now 🙂

Hi mvelinder, I am getting stucked on Application Suport... the spotify album does not exist, I was able to download the old version but and keep it, but can't go thru since I don't have the spotify file... any suggestions?

Oh im running on OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

NO, it does not work 😞

Can anyone confirm that this works on Yosemite? I detest the new client, its lack of apps and would dearly love to go back.

Yes!

yes.png

Thank you! So far, so good here as well. I reverted to the grey background and am so much happier. Didn't realize how much I missed that UI.

The About tab gives me an error message about not being able to update, so I take that as an encouraging sign.

Did you find the Spotify life on your Libarry, or did you create it with the locked empty sub files, cuz i did that, and it run well for 15 min, then I got the message of the new version, the horrible latest one..

Im on Yosemite and its not working for me, somethis else you did maybe?

Follow this exactly. Meke sure the locked files are in your home library (see attached pic)

(Link removed by Rock Star for security)

Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" then LOCK them.

Hope that helps.

locked files.png

Yeah, the one thing not in the instructions is that you have to move those blank files into the Spotify folder that it tells you to locate. Lock them, restart, and check "About" in the top right of your screen after you load Spotify. You should have a small error message that it can't autoupdate.

Say, can any one point me to those original instructions?  With 15 pages of messages in this thread, I can't seem to find it any more.

Thanks!

Marked as solution

Done all the steps, even download the older older version... locked the new files... didnt logged in until i had created those files... but after some min i got the update message.

Still i think my problem is that i have no idea why theres no Spotify file on my Library, and since Im creating this files and the new empty ones... theres no recognition, therefore the update is not being stopped.

Anyone has the same problem?

1.jpg

The instructions are the same... dont have to go thru all the thread.. good luck!

Triple check that the files are really locked.

It looks like you're in the system library. Go to the Users library in you home folder/applicationsupport/spotify and put them in there.

Thank you, that was it. I had to go to from users Library.. also before that I followed method 3 from this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Suggested posts