Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

Solved!

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

UPDATE 3/14/15: This solution works for reverting to ANY previous version of Spotify. Just replace the application with the desired version, 0.8.5 or otherwise. I have successfully used this trick to revert to 0.9.15.27 and 0.8.5.133. Also, APPS continue to work in these previous version. Attached is a screenshot of 0.8.5.133 artist pages, clean, simple, cohesive, text a bit small, and SEARCH function still in tact. 0.8.5.133 also runs MUCH faster on my Windows and Mac machines. 

The "Horrible update [0.8.8]" thread has begun to bury the work arounds for those of us NOT happy with the 0.8.8 update. Here is a guide to reverting to 0.8.5 for Mac. Spotify support has NOT provided a way for us to do this, despite my many attempts.  Hopefully it will help some people who visit the forum.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Find and download a copy of 0.8.5 here
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

Let me know if you have any problems! This has worked for me on OS X 10.8.2. Thanks to th80 for the help on this!

Removed link, not allowed to post links to download packages outside spotify site. hpguru

(Possible security risk removed by Rock Star)

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.10.09 PM.png
175 Replies

Can someone upload the two locked files for download? I'm using 10.5.8 OS and I can't use Textwrangler.

cheers

@user-removed wrote:

The "Horrible update [0.8.8]" thread has begun to bury the work arounds for those of us NOT happy with the 0.8.8 update. Here is a guide to reverting to 0.8.5 for Mac. Spotify support has NOT provided a way for us to do this, despite my many attempts.  Hopefully it will help some people who visit the forum.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Download a copy of 0.8.5 here: (Link removed by Rock Star for security) or here: (Link removed by Rock Star for security)
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

Let me know if you have any problems! This has worked for me on OS X 10.8.2. Thanks to @th80 for the help on this!

This is awesome. Thanks for figuring this out. Cheers 🙂

Here is the locked files in a zip file for those who might find it helpful.

(Link removed by Rock Star for security)

It appears you will need to re-lock them though after unzipping. Good luck. Let me know if you have any issues. Cheers!

Thank you SO much for this. I have an old MacBook and thought I was going to be stuck losing my Spotify. Thank you again, you've really made my year.

Thank you, the help you all have provided here is very much appreciated!

mvelinder, Your instructions couldn't be any more clear! Thanks a billion for the detailed post. Worked instantly after hours of researching this problem! We'd be lost without people like you on the net. Thanks!

I was extremly unsatisfied with the new Spotify update. Spent hours finding a way to reinstall an older version. So I was so happy to find mvelinder's instructions, I followed them carefully and it worked! However, after a couple of days, I was surprised to find that suddenly the d**n software had updated anyhow! I have tried to reinstall the 0.8.5-version several times now, but I only end up with the updated version. Any ideas? 

@MsSz

There's been reports of similar sorts of things on Windows as well. Even with the anti-update read only files in place, some how the software still updates. For the Mac, mvelinder would be the right person to comment on this.

What I've also done on my Mac is to also use Little Snitch to block "upgrade.spotify.com". I believe that is where the upgrade files are downloaded from. I'm not sure if this is helping, but so far, no auto-update.

@AbsolutelyNoFB: Many thanks for your concern and advice. I installed the free version of Little Snitch. Unfortunately I found myself not tech-savvy enough to know how to operate it. 

working! Thanks!

I would try deleting the following:

Spotify.app in Applications folder

Spotify folder in /Library/Application Support/

com.spotify.client.plist in /Library/Preferences

Then install the 0.8.5 version (don't open it yet!) and drop in the locked update files I uploaded earlier to the /Library/Application Support/ folder. Let me know if that works.

@MsSz: I ran into the same problem.  In order to fix it, I had to download the file from the second link in the list.  For some reason the first link was just installing the updated version/and or auto updating it.  I also used a free program called CleanGenius to uninstall my original Spotify, although I believe this to be excessive and unnecessary.

If you still would like to go the Little Snitch route:

The free version of Little Snitch works on three hours intervals.  If you click "Preferences" and then click the "Start" button under 'Network Filter'. It will ask you to run in demo mode, and this is the window that will reappear every three hours asking you to turn the Network Filter back on and continue running in demo mode.

With the Filter on Little Snitch will open up a new window for everything attempting to connect to your computer and vice versa.  You can click 'allow always' for everything, to avoid seeing the window multiple times, except for Spotify.  You will want to allow the following connections.  Outbound Connections to "Remote Port" 4070 (Spotify port) or 443 (HTTPS) or 80 (HTTP) to *.ash.spotify.com.  Deny any other connections that spotify attempts to use

Do not worry, if you accidentally Deny one that stops proper use of Spotify, look into the Little Snitch program list and search out 'Spotify'  You can then see a list of the ports you have allowed and denied.  Double clicking on the specific ports will allow you to change the preferences, including the allow or deny aspects.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

It appears the first link has been updated to 0.8.8! The page still reads 0.8.5 but if you download the disk image and "Get Info" from the mounted application - it reads Version 0.8.8.450.gd9413516.

I have edited the original post to remove that updated link. Sorry for the confusion. Now the only version linked in the original post is 0.8.5 (verified by me just now). Others should feel free to host/download/save/share this 0.8.5 version - as it appears sites are starting to update their links to 0.8.8. Good eye on the second link working but not the first @cam_burns.

Hi! Thanks much for these instructions. Worked easily and completely. 

It's worked perfectly for me. Thanks a lot!

I found version 0.8.8 prevented me from viewing the listening of a small group of friends - a major problem for my usage of Spotify. These instructions on how to roll back to 0.8.5 have been invaluable.

If you're familiar with the command line, you can use the command touch to generate the empty files - commands would be (omit the inverted commas):

"touch Spotify_new.archive"

"touch Spotify_new.archive.sig" 

Run these commands within the appropriate folder, or include the folder in the filename path.

R

For those terminally-inclined:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Spotify_new.*

touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Spotify_new.archive

touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Spotify_new.archive.sig

chflags uchg ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Spotify_new.*

Thank you all for good advices!

@mvelinder: It seems that the updated link was the only problem. Following the other link solved it all. I had a little problem finding the Spotify-folder under Applications Support after having re-installed the older version (it had been visible the other times, strangely, now it suddenly seemed to be gone). It was hidden. In Finder, I had to click "Go", then press "alt" and when I opened the library-folder: Voila! there it was! Then I just dropped the locked documents in there, and now the 0.8.5-version seems to run just smoothly! No updates although I log out/restart. Thanx! 

Maybe I should mention that II use a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

(if there are others out there having trouble finding the Spotify-folder...)

Any steps for Windows?

I found a Spotify 0.8.5 link, but when you restart it, it auto updates (so when you turn off your computer the first time, you are screwed).

0.8.8 needs to burn.

Send email to support asking the app v. 0.8.5 for Mac and received a similar response and absurd: a link to the new version (0.8.8) They must think we suck the finger! ¿? ¿?

El 20/03/2013, a las 11:06, Umberto Di Candia escribió:

hola !

con este enlace deberías poder descargar la versión anterior 

mac

http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg 

hazme saber si te ha funcionado

saludos

Umberto Di Candia 

Spotify Customer Services

Suggested posts