Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

Solved!

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

UPDATE 3/14/15: This solution works for reverting to ANY previous version of Spotify. Just replace the application with the desired version, 0.8.5 or otherwise. I have successfully used this trick to revert to 0.9.15.27 and 0.8.5.133. Also, APPS continue to work in these previous version. Attached is a screenshot of 0.8.5.133 artist pages, clean, simple, cohesive, text a bit small, and SEARCH function still in tact. 0.8.5.133 also runs MUCH faster on my Windows and Mac machines. 

The "Horrible update [0.8.8]" thread has begun to bury the work arounds for those of us NOT happy with the 0.8.8 update. Here is a guide to reverting to 0.8.5 for Mac. Spotify support has NOT provided a way for us to do this, despite my many attempts.  Hopefully it will help some people who visit the forum.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Find and download a copy of 0.8.5 here
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

Let me know if you have any problems! This has worked for me on OS X 10.8.2. Thanks to th80 for the help on this!

Removed link, not allowed to post links to download packages outside spotify site. hpguru

(Possible security risk removed by Rock Star)

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.10.09 PM.png
175 Replies

@ Link006:

Check out message no 90 in the "Horrible update 0.8.8"-thread by skomes.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Horrible-update-0-8-8/td-p/265098/page/9

A solution for windows which seems to have worked for many. Make sure you replace the updated version with the 0.8.5-version first though. 

this worked perfectly for me! thank you so much!!!

Many thanks for your post. I don' find the files you refer to to delete? What does this mean? Also what dp you mean by 'mount' the image and finally for the new docs they are RTF files right?

Thank you!

Hariom

I used TextEdit to save two documents and It works like a charm for me. 

tanx a lot

Fabulous! OMG it WORKS...!  thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

I don't know if it was necessary to place the two locked text files inside the Spotify folder (user/library/application support/spotify), but that's what i did. So that seems to be where they should go, and not just on the desktop or something like that...

Hugs to everyone who worked to make this solution available...

Thanx mate, get all my kudos.

Spotify: come back, you was a cool company, we miss you. 

Hi can you help me please?, my spotify has been crashing now for nearly a month, I can't download it, it just keeps crashing when I open my mac..

do you know what I can do?

thanks,

niall.

@hariomm wrote:

Many thanks for your post. I don' find the files you refer to to delete? What does this mean? Also what dp you mean by 'mount' the image and finally for the new docs they are RTF files right?

Thank you!

Hariom

You should easily find the files in the directory described in the original post. ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify is the full directory - where ~ is your username. Mounting the image involves double clicking the disc image you downloaded - just as you would for any other piece of Mac software. The files should NOT be .rtf - if they are .rtf they will not be recognized by the application. The goal is to use these dummy files to block the update. If they aren't the proper extension and locked - they will be be recognized.

@doorley wrote:

Hi can you help me please?, my spotify has been crashing now for nearly a month, I can't download it, it just keeps crashing when I open my mac..

do you know what I can do?

thanks,

niall.

I would try to go through the steps I've detailed about deleting the previous version (page 4 of this thread). Then download and install the 0.8.5 version linked in the original post. "Crashing" is remarkably vague - so without more information I'm not sure I can help much.

I tried for days to get back on spotify it would not even let me reinstall.  Thank you so much...I know am able to use it and I did just what you posted and it worked GREAT!!!!  Thank you so much!!!!

Additionally I also used text edit and I used the "revert to saved" button in text exit instead of a lock which I could not find in text edit.  I hope it works this way but it has so far so thanks again. Im hoping if I don't upgrade I will be fine.  

I now see where to lock the text edit (in applications - spotify- preview-more info - allow you to lock the text edits you did.  I locked the spotify also is that okay?  

@ariecrown wrote:

I now see where to lock the text edit (in applications - spotify- preview-more info - allow you to lock the text edits you did.  I locked the spotify also is that okay?  

Probably couldn't hurt, but likely not necessary. I've been using it in the exact configuration I've described here since I made the post with no problems.

Thank you! this worked! My spotify is working again! love you (: 

Looks wonderful.

Where do you save the two new files "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" ? In the Library folder?

As per the original how to guide, copied below, you'll want to be in the ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify folder.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Download a copy of 0.8.5 here: (Link removed by Rock Star for security)
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

This works perfectly. Many thanks. (I used TextWrangler).

If by any chance Spotifiy gets back on track and I want to auto-update again, should I simply uncheck the locked button for the two files?

Thanks again. You saved my Spotfiy life.

The speedyshare link doesn't seem to be working. Premium download only, where you have to send a sms to download the file. Could we get a mirror for the file please?

@Aerobahn wrote:

The speedyshare link doesn't seem to be working. Premium download only, where you have to send a sms to download the file. Could we get a mirror for the file please?

There is another link in this post does that one work?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Inthesky wrote:

This works perfectly. Many thanks. (I used TextWrangler).

If by any chance Spotifiy gets back on track and I want to auto-update again, should I simply uncheck the locked button for the two files?

Thanks again. You saved my Spotfiy life.

If you trash those locked files I suspect the app will detect it needs to update and auto-update like it normally would. I haven't tried this though.

Suggested posts