SOLVED [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

Highlighted

SOLVED [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

Edited
Festival Fanatic
‎2015-09-19 09:16 AM

Hi,

first, thanks for your effort in regurlarly releasing linux builds!

With the recent 1.0 betas the DBus support is back...more or less. But many of the advertised properties can not be retrieved and time out. The only property which is working is "Metadata" (please see the screenshot).

spotify_dbus.png

If I call for example:

qdbus --literal org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player CanControl

I get this:

Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Am I doing something wrong or is this indeed a bug? Thanks for looking into that!

30 Replies

Re: [Linux] Spotify 1.0.14 DBus support

Concert VIP
‎2015-09-21 07:45 AM

Hi,

glad to hear that DBus is back!

With spotify-client 1.0.14.124, the methods work fine.

However I see a similar message for the playback status

qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player PlaybackStatus
Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Edited
Festival Fanatic
‎2015-10-07 06:54 AM

With the recent version 1.0.15 the problem still persists!

Is there any ETA for full DBus MPRIS2 support?

Spotify
‎2015-10-07 03:15 PM

There is unfortunately no ETA for full D-Bus MPRIS support.

It looks like 1.0.15 implemented the PropertiesChanged signal. However, the only property available is Metadata.

Gig Goer
‎2015-10-13 05:03 PM

I'm also hoping, that full mpris support gets added soon. (Or al least all the features, that were present pre 1.0)

I've written my own popup menu for my desktop environment, which heavyly relies on dbus, to work. Especially the status property.

I'll probably stay with 0.9.17 until this is added back.

Re: [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

Music Lover
‎2015-11-05 11:29 AM

Hi all,

I can confirm fetching metadata works over dbus:

qdbus --literal org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player Metadata

I was wondering if there is anyway at all to get the current playback state from Spotify in Linux, from the command line? I'm working on some scripts and would like to automate Spotify on my HTPC.

Betreff: [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

Festival Fanatic
‎2015-12-06 02:00 PM

Unfortunately the problem still persists in the most recent version 1.0.19!

Are there any news regarding a reimplementation?

Festival Fanatic
‎2016-01-13 06:46 AM

As the very useful plasmoid Playbar2 (http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/PlayBar2?content=168944), which allows to control media players via the MPRIS2-Interface, still doesn't work because of the partial implementation of MPRIS in Spotify: Is there any time horizon when we can expect MPRIS fully working again?

Thanks in advance and please keep up working on supporting Linux!

Festival Fanatic
‎2016-02-18 06:25 PM

Thanks for the new release 1.0.23.93 but, there is still no proper MPRIS2 support! Are there any news now, when this will be implemented again?

Spotify
‎2016-02-19 11:11 AM

No. There is still no ETA on proper MPRIS2 support, since there are no developers working directly on the Linux desktop client, just like before. I am trying to keep track of and triaging internally and externally reported linux specific bugs, so if time is allocated to work on the linux desktop client, this is very high up on the list. I will poke people again and see if we can get anywhere with some Linux desktop love.

The reason we can deploy new releases at all is because 99% of the code is shared with Windows, OS X and the build system builds a new version on every new commit. If that build would fail on Linux, it would be considered bad enough and would need to be fixed before the Windows and OS X clients could be released.

SUGGESTED POSTS