Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search bar doesn't work

Solved!

Search bar doesn't work

Hi, as I said in the subject my search bar doesn't work, when i type something the menu with suggestions doesn't appear and if I press enter spotify doesn't search. Does anybody know a solution? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the same problem. I just had to exit and re-open and then it worked.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Can you try logging out of spotify then logging back in.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Does a clean reinstallation of the client make any difference? Also what country are you in?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you very much i solved with the reinstallation, anyway i'm italian

No, I just did a clean install, and now the search box doesn't work.

Marked as solution

I had the same problem. I just had to exit and re-open and then it worked.

Yes, I had the same experience. After an upgrade, start and then exit spotify. This cleared the problem.

I have been having the same issue, but in addition to the search bar, the browse page is stuck on the load screen.Been happening for about a week now. Seems like people have been having this issue since February, and there is still no fix yet? I find this very frustrating, considering I pay monthly, and the browse/search feature is the real reason for doing so. 

What gives, Spotify? Almost two months and no solution has been provided other than a 'clean uninstall' which I have tried about 5 times now. Seems rather rediculous to me. I have also tried re-opening the program, as well as using an older version of spotify, nothing works. I am in the USA. These features work fine on my iPhone and on the Web Player. 

This is unfortunately an issue that we're seeing for a small number of users. We have investigated and attempted to reproduce the issue using the information that you've provided us with. So far, without success.

We'd love to fix this issue once and for all but in order to do that, we need your help! Could you guys tell us which version of Spotify you're using and which operating system you're running. The version can be found in the about box which in turn can be found in the menu. Just clicking it should copy it to the clip board. This information is very useful for us in the process of tracking this (and other) issue (s) down!

If you remember what steps you took just before you noticed the issue, that information would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If you are having issues with search on desktop, the team are trying to collect some details:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Search-bar-does-not-work-at-all/m-p/72375...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

0.9.7.16.g4b197456

MAC

thanks

Hi, since I updated Spotify Thursday evening it seems to me, the part "search" doesn't work anymore. When you type the name of an artist / band or the name of the song, nothing appears in the proposals. Even when you do "enter" it doesn't matter.
Since the new version, the "search" did work only once, when I was just disconnected and reconnected Thursday evening, after the update.
It's annoying because I wanted to add new music on my playlists, I managed to add some songs by clicking on the name of the artist who was already in my playlist. For new artists, I don't know how to do if the search bar doesn't work.
I use a laptop with Windows 7. Hopefully this will help you solve the problem. Thank you in advance for your help, hoping that it will be resolved quickly.

This english isn't good, i translate by Google Translate... I hope it's understandable for you.

Marked as solution

Can you try logging out of spotify then logging back in.

Hi, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting Spotify, the search bar now works again. Thank you for your help ! 🙂

Excellent 🙂

Hi,

I'm getting the same problem. Restarting Spotify does not help. Listening to playlists is fine but no search possible.

Mac OS 10.9.2; Spotify version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u94h4a87en3trcy/Screenshot%202014-05-01%2011.21.54.png (you think I'm typing that out?! It can't be selected and copied...)

using windows XP terratec soundcard. With me this started as soon as it installed the last update. Really fed up. Premium user for a long time and search is one of the basic tools that NEED to be working. Tried uninstall, reinstall and all the various suggestions. Just won't work for me Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This has been a problem for me for several months, and nothing's fixed it thus far -- reinstalling, closing it out, restarting my computer, I sitll have the same issue. Using Windows 7, Spotify just auto-updated this morning so I have whatever the latest one is as of today.

I did find a solution if you still have the problem. You should find the folder where spotify put is cache and delete it. Uninstalling the application won't delete this folder, at least on Mac OS

I'm having the same issue. I've logged out/logged back in and reinstalled Spotify, and I'm still having issues.

I also had this problem! 
I am using version 1.0.63.617.g5aca9a2a of spotify on a macbook pro.

I tried closing spotify and reopening it multiple times, which usually works when it is stuck on loading/ ads freeze, but this time the only thing that worked for me was logging out then back in again!

The artist I was on was still playing, and my friend activity was being updated, but i couldn't search anything! Whilst clicking around to try and solve the problem i found that most other windows looked normal, but my profile said "no recent activity" and wouldn't load either.

Suggested posts