Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Some local tracks are unavailable on Linux while they are on Windows

Solved!

Some local tracks are unavailable on Linux while they are on Windows

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for making Spotify available on Linux.

I've added local tracks on Spotify, no problem with Windows. Once on Linux (Ubuntu 14) some of those tracks are not available.

If I want to play the track I have the message "The track was added as a local file. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

- In the playlist the files are greyed

- In the local library the files are in red

- I've checked the files, I see no difference with other mp3 files in the same folder. I've checked with mp3val, I see nothing special with those files.

- The folder is correctly imported. Other mp3 files in the same folder can be played.

- There is no permission restriction on those files.

Does someone know what happens?

Many thanks.

My Spotify version on Ubuntu is 0.9.4.183.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You are running version 0.9.4 of Spotify, probably because you are on 32-bit. It is well known that local files do not work with 0.9.4 + Ubuntu 14.04. You can get it to work by following my instructions here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-1...

What's up with the red ones I don't know. Try the solution and see.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hello!

The mp3 files that works, did you import them the same way as those that don't work?
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check album availability here

Yes, I've added the folder to be imported in the preferences. You mean that there is another way to import local files?

You can drag and drop files into Spotify from file explorer on Windows (not sure if it works on linux!). I've also noticed strange behavior in the past on my linux machine if the mp3 file is missing .mp3 at the end of the file name.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The drag and drop doesn't seem to work on linux if files are concerned. Drag and drop a folder works.

I haven't seen any difference with the .mp3 extension compared to the files that can be played.

I've found another clue: the tracks that can't be read on Linux belong to different albums than the tracks that can be read. Maybe it can help...

Hi,

It's even worse than I thought. Actually none of my local files can be played. I'm pretty sure that it was not the case for all files some weeks ago (something happened?).

Here is how Spotify displays my playlist:

Capture.pngIn white or red, it makes no difference when trying to read the file. Except an error message for the red ones.

I've attached a track that I can't read. If, for testing purpose, some Linux user could import it in his playlist I would be grateful.

I hope I'll find a solution. Those issues are details that would make me slowly go back to Windows... 😞

Thanks for your help

Marked as solution

You are running version 0.9.4 of Spotify, probably because you are on 32-bit. It is well known that local files do not work with 0.9.4 + Ubuntu 14.04. You can get it to work by following my instructions here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-1...

What's up with the red ones I don't know. Try the solution and see.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Suggested posts