Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Spotify Crashes and multiple processes

Re: Spotify Crashes and multiple processes

Edited
Community Legend
‎2013-09-23 09:02 PM

Just tested this out, I get a new process for each new app I open in the desktop client, so I think it is highly likely those are processes for rendering each app individually just like how the chrome browser operates rather than this being a bug.

Edit: Further testing - closing spotify without a crash does exit those processes too.

Update: Confirmed in the release notes ;) 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

1 person liked this

Edited
Roadie
‎2013-09-23 09:54 PM

A few days ago I was able to replicate the bug where dragging tracks into a playlist crashes the current version.  Right-Click, no problem.  While in the process of checking another idea, I JUST received the 0.9.4.169 update and installed it, fresh new install in Sandboxie.

Had to wait for all my playlists to load, but the program was responsive while doing so, a welcome change from 0.9.1.57.

Nearly all my settings were saved in preferences.

Still no album or album graphics support.  CRAP.

Artist pages still bright white.  No biggie.

They might have killed off What's New once and for all.  "spotify:app:home" opens Discover.  What's New still working on 0.8.3.

Software became unresponsive one I got to an artist page [playlists not finished loading].

Waiting for playlists to load before attempting to drag music to existing playlist.

Confirm Delete Playlist is back, both with right-click and delete key.

The good news.  NO MORE CRASHING WHEN DRAGGING ALBUMS OR TRACKS TO PLAYLISTS.

Casual Listener
‎2013-09-24 12:05 AM

Description

Starting spotify launches multiple spotifyhelper processes that don't die with the spotify process.

And starting a song crashes spotify.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Started Spotify

2. Checked task manager and found 6 spotifyhelper processes

3. Started a song

4. It crashed but not the spotifyhelper processes.

5. Reformated harddrive and reinstalled windows 7.

6. Still same problem with the processes but actually managed to get it

to play a song.

What I expected to happen

Processes would be back to normal, just one running.

What actually happened

First problem solved. No crashing but second problem still there.

My Operating System

Windows 7 Proffesional

Is your Operating System 32 or 64 bit?

64x

Do you have a Service Pack installed?

Just reinstalled the computer but the latest for windows 7.

My Spotify version

My internet provider and country

Sweden

Did you do a clean install of your current Windows version or did you upgrade from a previous version?

?

My username

macdee

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Community Legend
‎2013-09-24 11:06 AM

@macdee - Do you only get those remaining ghost processes if the client crashes rather than you closing it? 

Peter

Peter

‎2013-09-25 09:41 PM

I have the exact same problem here + when im in offlinemode to prevent crapify to useup all my internet, when I want to remove a song from my playlist it crashes wtf??? thinking about resigning my subscription and use gshard insted -.-

2 people liked this

Roadie
‎2013-09-25 11:37 PM
when I want to remove a song from my playlist it crashes

Update.   http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

‎2013-09-26 04:04 PM

I have experienced these problems too. All since the latest updates. And also across several platforms. When adding songs to a certain playlists, Spotify crashes and shuts down. I came across this problem on the Microsoft Windows 7 platform and a Debian based linux distribution running KDE as a desktopenvironnement. 

The problem appears when using te context menu, as wel as whilest dragging and dropping titles into a plalist.

Moving songs up and down, sometimes also result in problems with the appllication wanting to scroll down to the bottom of the playlist. This is been resolved automatically after the next song starts. 

Dragging and dropping local files on the Debian based linux, doesn't seem to work at all. The songs are simply not added to the playlist.

It appears to me as there are some problems with the playlist functionality in general.

Perhaps these circumstances provide a clue on what is challenging the users at this moment?

I will wait to see if the problem is resolved within the next update.

1 person liked this

Casual Listener
‎2013-09-26 04:09 PM

This happens to me, too - all the time! It is so annoying. I really hope that it is fixed with the next update.

thanks for posting!

Casual Listener
‎2013-09-26 08:36 PM

@Peter No, I have the multiple processes directly at startup of the program and they stay after the program get's closed down or crashes.

They can't be closed down unless you do it in a certain order apparantly. If you do it wrong they just start back up again.

Community Legend
‎2013-09-27 12:21 PM

@macdee - Would you be able to grab us a screenshot of your task manager showing all of the Spotify processes you have (so sort them alphabetically) when you have closed down the program? 

Peter

Peter

SUGGESTED POSTS