Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify VERY slow.

Spotify VERY slow.

Songs are buffering extremely slowly, searches take forever, downloading songs for offline use take too long.  Whats going on guys? About to cancel if this doesn't get fixed, i've seen others say the same.

156 Replies

The conflict has been a crappily written desktop client. I have an intel Mac mini 4gb of ram and have reinstalled this app over and over. I used app zapper to remove all vestiges of old versions. It's still slow to load and hangs on so many things I try to click on, doesn't matter if its a folder, song or album. As stated I installed and reinstalled cleanly. This is just bad software. The web version needs to match the desktop better.

It certainly does seem as though Mac users have more than their fair share of problems.

Everyone is having problems and that's why a lot of people are frustrated. I'm fairly tech savvy, this bunch of poorly written software is the pits.

Also I'm using OSX your links don't help.

tommyvonb wrote:

Everyone is having problems

Everyone?  That's a pretty bold statement.

Quit nitpicking, I'm not being a troll. Read the problems that this is causing. Even if it's a small problem, it should be acknowledged and addressed...that's just good customer service.

Of course not everybody has problems with spotify. If the bugs were hit by everyone these new crappy versions of Spotify would've never passed the testing phase. I don't think this is caused by conflicts, maybe it is caused by poor choosing of servers and that is why the developers ask for the isp.

Most people won't have problems, but even if a 10% suffers these bugs then the new version is a disaster. Something happens if some people are even recommending to downgrade to 0.8.

I don't think this is caused by conflicts, maybe it is caused by poor choosing of servers and that is why the developers ask for the isp.

Spotify staff and super users tend to ask for ISP since we know the Spotify desktop client uses p2p technology which is throttled catastrophically by some ISPs at peak times, similar to bittorrent. The p2p allows some of the advanced features of the desktop client to work, such as gapless playback. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So you're saying that the resources on my computer are pushed to 100% when the app opens up because of p2p?

Seriously?

Photoshop which is a notorious resource hog cannot touch your app and it opens quicker than yours even when opening a lasrge file. Believe me I tried that.

Your app opens slow if at all, sometimes it takes 15 minutes before I can access anything. That just sucks.

By that time I have forced quit the app and fired up the browser to at least use your service, but then I run into the no folders. 

You should be providing a seamless experience, not this disjointed nonsense. A streaming app SHOULD NOT take all system resources. Pandora doesn't, hell Netflix doesn't.

Figure it out and provide a solution. Unistalling multiple times(12+ now) isn't an answer or a solution, that's just sucky software.

15 minutes seems extreme, what operating system are you using? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

OSX 10.7.5  with 4gb of RAM, stated this before. Other people have this problem as well, The resource monitor show sspotify maxxing out the cpu and ram. This isn't something new. It's been reported on multiple threads and websites. That's how I found this thread, seemed like a similar problem.

Go into preferences and set your cache to 1gb, the lowest setting on the slider.  that should help.  if not, go into the folder and delete EVERYTHING.  You can even delete the folder itself and it will self-replicate.  This has helped many users with their problems opening spotify. 

I use ccleaner to clear out that folder on startup.  its one of the custom settings.  There is a version for Mac.  You con't have to restart in order to use ccleaner to clean out the folder.  If clearing your cache helps, then download and make use of this FREEWARE program.

http://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

I use appzapper, takes all the crap out that is needed. Today it sat for over 24 minutes. Tried clicking on a list, app folder...nothing but spinning beachball. Worst app ever, this will make 14 times that I have unistalled and then installed. Shouldn't be this hard.

Generally, using your OS's built in uninstaller is the preferred way to uninstall Spotify.  SOME 3rd party uninstallers can be overly aggressive if you set them incorrectly.  That being said, there have been a lot of Mac users with problems lately, so you're not alone.

Have you thought about reverting to an older more stable version?

Well...Mac OS doesn't HAVE a built-in uninstaller.  But a Mac person would've already known that...  😉

For the record, I don't have 15 or 20 minute hangs, but I do have to occasionally uninstall/reinstall the app and blitz the cache.  IMO, if the app was written a little better, we wouldn't (and shouldn't) have to do that.

I also have to uninstall/reinstall the app on my iPhone pretty regularly, because there's no other way to empty the cache (which is utterly RIDICULOUS)...and that cache can become GIGABYTE heavy in days, taking up needless space on the phone.  But that's another gripe for another thread.

Hi folks,

You may have solved this by now - but something just happened for me today - with the same issue.

After blaming my Intego forewall settings for ages - i finally saw this Forum - and now I know my Firewall is working and allowing the spotify connection.

I then opened spotify and went to prefs.

Turned off alltyhe local stuff incase my virus barrier was trying to scan my whole music library.

Then weirdly setting my Playback to high quality streaming - which you would think would be even worse - seemed to cure the issue.

For today anyway! I'll try again tomorrow and report back - but it started workinga treat after making those changes - and it means I still have my firewall intact - having set it to allow incoming connections from Spotify.

This may help - worth a try.

Good luck all!

Hey there.

If you have slow Spotify experience, try to delete your Spotify cache.

It will be faster in seconds!

Does anyone bother to read the previous posts?

@tommyvonb wrote:

Does anyone bother to read the previous posts?

i do tommy.

tommoy do you have quite a few songs? I wonder if that has an impact. I have 65,000 songs in my library. And my spotify is brutally slow. To the point of nearly unusable. And I've tried all the tricks mentioned here. However my wife has only a few thousand songs in her library and she doesn't have any of the same issues.

I've noticed the amount of songs also causes trouble on my iphone app as well. It often crashes.

lyddonb wrote:
I have 65,000 songs in my library. And my spotify is brutally slow.

I have slightly more than that, with no issues, other than the wait time for all my playlists to load when I'm using the current version.  I'll have to look at that more closely to see if the problem goes away, but I've never had it installed for very long.

I assume you've cleared the storage folder.

Just for the hell of it, turn off your all antimalware and firewalls you have running and see if that makes a difference.  If it does, turn them back on, ONE AT A TIME, closing and reopening Spotify each time.

You could also try Process Explorer [assuming Windows] to see if its Spotify that's hogging all the CPU or another program.

Suggested posts