Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify VERY slow.

Spotify VERY slow.

Songs are buffering extremely slowly, searches take forever, downloading songs for offline use take too long.  Whats going on guys? About to cancel if this doesn't get fixed, i've seen others say the same.

156 Replies

The desktop app is a piece of garbage, buggy and lags all the time. I had problems with folders which REALLY screwed things up. Got rid of them and it ran better, but not great. The web version runs smoother but I can't drag and drop tracks, makes forming a playlist impossible

You would thing the hacks that programmed this would have a clue but they don't. It would take a mass exodus to get them to clean the app up and have it run right.

I think that there are good alternatives to spotify at this point as well - if slowness bugs you as much as it bugs me. Last night, I couldn't get a single song to play straight through without five or six stops.

Peter - I don't think it can be as simple as the volume of P2P traffic on the user's LAN because the playback freezes are also accompanied by a general lack of responsiveness to content requets while browsing. In fact, I get the impression that the holdups only occur when fetching direct from the Spotify servers becuase AFAIK the content for things like Browse and  Discover has nothing to do with P2P

But here's something else to try -

Next time Spotify has a freezing fit, select File>Offline Mode to put a tick next to it to go offline. Then select it again to go back online. I've been doing this several times today and it's un-frozen Spotify instantly.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Wow, that fixed the browsing solution. Very nice! But I still have a playback issue, specifically on Sunday nights.

Thanks Radian, I have been experiencing the same laggy desktop application. It takes near 1 minute to load an artist page!!!

It looks like ticking the offline mode and going back online solves temporarly the problem, as you suggested.

The new update on iphone is very slow and buttons often don't respond.... uncool.

Still a steaming pile of trash...17 minutes and counting to load a track from the browse page. Again, I should not have to jump through ANY hoops to make this work. I have trimmed the playlist and folders, I have installed and reinstalled DOZENS of times and what? And don't say empty the cache folder, the idiots who do the programming should know better.

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK RIGHT!

I applaud the unifed interface, but for F*&^%S sake can't you guys make apps that work?

The ios is much better, the web interface works better but hangs on loading playlists...the desktop app? Worse than before.

MAJOR FAIL.

I'm finding it a lot quicker now. What operating system are you using? Do you have "a lot" of local files?

for me the problem is using spotify on the iphone 4. it's using the latest ios. almost every touch-operation incurs a 30-60 second lag.

i can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. doesn't spotify know how many iphone 4 users there are? making an app like this un-usable for an entire platform is not a good move

@AnthonyP123 I've already replied to one of your posts and moved it to the iOS section. Why are you still posting the same thing in the PC desktop client section?

Yes indeed, this seems to be a growing problem with me too getting worse not better. I am considering sacking them too

rdio.com

who uses a client anymore, anyway. Spotify can't release usable products...? Options...we have many options. rdio isn't great, but it's browser-based, and it just works. Unlike Spotify.

Spotify have a browser based player too in case anyone is looking. 😛

http://play.spotify.com

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:
Spotify have a browser based player too in case anyone is looking. 😛

http://play.spotify.com

IMO, the browser player is terrible compared to the native client. At least in my experience, it's slow and sounds bad.

I'm a paying customer, and I won't be paying to sit around waiting. Fix it or I'm gone.

I've already noticed that I am using the Spotify client on Mac (10.8.5) less than before due to the painfully slow startup time. It takes around 5 minutes and sometimes even more until browsing playlists or artist pages, or searching for music happens at an acceptable pace. I have quite many long playlists, but there's no excuse for this crappy performance. Fix it, or risk people moving to other services.

My desktop app had been running crappy ever since the upgrade.  just today I went to "view" and turned off activity feed and now everything is lightning fast.  hope it works for ya'll. i'm on a mac powerbook....goodluck

i went to "view" and turned off "activity feed" and everything is superfast now....give it a shot.

Quite clearly because i'm an idiot. Is this the answer you were hoping for when you asked that pointless question?!

Well apologies, and thanks all the same. The issue for the iphone has now been fixed with an update, it's working brilliantly.

IPad app. Is realy crap!! Takes at least 5 minutes to load a playlist. iPhone and desktop versions are better now. When is the IPad app. Getting an update that will fix the onacceptabele loading time!!??

Suggested posts