Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Won't Open

Solved!

Spotify Won't Open

When I double click on spotify it does not open.  I check the task manager and it shows up there, but nothing else happens. 

Things I've tried:

•  Disabling Firewall and Anitvirus
  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling (complete with combing through the registry)
  • Restarting my computer
  • Closing the program through task manager and opening it again
  • Running it in compatability mode
  • Opening as administrator

And I'm still having the same problem I am running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

Help?

Edit: May it would help if I were more specific.  When I double click on Spoitfy, I see it in the processes section of task manager, but it doesn't show up in my applications section.  I don't know if that changes things.

72 Replies
Marked as solution

Nice, I've found a sort of solution (for Windows 7).

I think sometimes Spotify update goes wrong and then stops to open.

In 'AppData/Local/Spotify', go to '/Update' and run the installer.

It's like give it a push so it can runs again.

Works for me and don't have to delete all the cache content.

YES! Worked for me mate, thanks.

So I downloaded it to my computer but when I click on it, the mouse will say its loading but then it will stop and it won't load at all. I tryed to uninstall it and then try again and my mom got it to work by going through a parent thing but that shouldn't have anything to do with spotify. Do you know what to do?

worst app for pc on devices is great but on pc its just a horrible experience

the beuty i HAVE to use the app if not i cannt control it by distance on my app

Hey, have you tried right-clicking, going to properties, then clicking unblock? You're computer may be blocking the program itself.

What would the file's name be because I searched the file name up, and a WHOLE bunch of files came up! 

@seisoppa wrote:

I HAD the same problem, running Win 7 SP1. When I tried to open Spotify I could see a glympse of the login windows - until it disappeared and the whole program shut down. While struggling with this problem I suddenly remembered that I changed the cache folder for offline playlists. I made an obvious move and deleted the NEW folder and now Spotify runs as smooth as ever.

I'm not saying that this will work for everyone but maybe it's worth trying. By default the cache folder can be found at (WIN 7!) C:\Users\Your_username\AppData\Local\Spotify\storage ...IF I remember correctly.

@seisoppa wrote:

I HAD the same problem, running Win 7 SP1. When I tried to open Spotify I could see a glympse of the login windows - until it disappeared and the whole program shut down. While struggling with this problem I suddenly remembered that I changed the cache folder for offline playlists. I made an obvious move and deleted the NEW folder and now Spotify runs as smooth as ever.

I'm not saying that this will work for everyone but maybe it's worth trying. By default the cache folder can be found at (WIN 7!) C:\Users\Your_username\AppData\Local\Spotify\storage ...IF I remember correctly.

@seisoppa wrote:

This worked - amazing! Thank you for posting it.

I can't open spotify on my mac book air.... I could before, but not now I just see "error code 3" I can open spotify on my ipad. I have reinstalled and change the password, I have tried using user name and I have also tried email address. Could there be a setting in my mac book air that is stopping this. PLEASE HELP, I am losing the will to live.... 

I double click and double click on the icon, try to launch from the desktop; nada. Any help would be appreciated.

same. does yours have a question mark over it?

That doesn't work either.

I had to even install a 3rd party Uninstall program to uninstall it.

@JSW14 wrote:

@seisoppa wrote:

Doesn't work for me.

Suggested posts