Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't resume playing music after reconnecting Bluetooth Headphones - Windows 7

Spotify can't resume playing music after reconnecting Bluetooth Headphones - Windows 7

I use bluetooth headphones with my Windows 7 Dell Laptop.

If I turn my headphones off while Spotify is playing music, Spotify is unable to recommence playing music when I reconnect the headphones.

I have to restart Spotify before I can get it to play again.

Sometimes after reconnecting the headphones Spotify will loop around a 1-2 second portion of the song that was playing when I disconnected continuously until I close the Spotify app.

This problem only happens with Spotify. Every other music player, Chrome, VLC Media Player etc is able to reconnect to the Bluetooth headphones without a problem.

I have tried disabling Hardware Acceleration and updating the Bluetooth drivers.

9 Replies

This sounds like an issue with the output sound device on your computer changing when you disconnect your headphones, unfortunately Spotify has never played nice with changes whilst the program is running. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Response from Support...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch.

Spotify doesnt currently operate through bluetooth correctly.
Bu as you have been using it we will try to help.

The only way we can see this working is you will need to close spotify before turning off the headphones.

By just turning off the head phones this is causing the spotify app to become confused.
At this time this is the only work around we can see.

Many Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is all ok but Spotify should work ok in this case as other apps like iTunes, VLC, Winamp, Windows Media Player etc work fine. I've asked them to see if it can be resolved in a future version. 

I am having this exact problem with my Parrot ZIK BlueTooth headphones when using them on my laptop with Spotify. Turning of the headphones when leaving for a few minutes to conserve battery. When I get back I always need to restart spotify. This "ends" my Spotify State, like Queues, page view etc. which is annoying. 

Spotify; Please address this issue or tell me what I am doing wrong... 

Other software in the laptop such as Chrome/YouTube works just fine.

/Jesper Wilfing, Göteborg, Sweden

I'm still having this problem 3 years later. I'm using Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Headphones now but had the same problem with the Parrot Ziks too.

C'mon Spotify pull your finger out and fix this!

If you're interested I have linked below an Autoit script I use to kill the Spotify process and relaunch it with a single click.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85ffjve2f5kciid/SpotifyRestarter.au3?dl=0

Did this get fixed?

How do you use the Autoit script?

I'm having this same issue. If I disconnect my bluetooth speaker from my computer Spotify keeps playing the track but without sound. Have to restart Spotify to get sound back on, even if the output would be wired. Win10, bluetooth speaker Sony SBS-XB30.

Spotify - this is still a problem and clearly happens for many of your users please fix it!

This is still an issue.  This only ever happens to me when my Bluetooth headset goes into sleep mode.  I have to kill the processes Spotify is running to get the service running again.  Extremely infuriating when you're in the middle of a good song station as you'll lose the station progress.

In better words, when I have to make a Powershell script to make your software function better, you've got an issue that needs to be fixed.

Get-Process | Where-Object { $_.Name -like "spotify" } | Select-Object | Stop-Process

Suggested posts