Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

Solved!

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

I keep getting this "already running" message when I try to open spotify.  It is listed as a process in Windows Task Manager, but it won't close when I try to force end the process.  I've been having this same issue many times over the past month.

Any ideas how to actually end the process, or better yet, keep it from doing this altogether?

141 Replies

I have the latest version, (having just reinstalled).

My PC does not hibernate, but the screen will turn off.

I have had had the issue occur both during a song and after leaving the the PC unattended for a few hours.

But....Since turning off the ICS yesterday, I have not had the issue reoccur (that is not to say it is fixed as yet)

I'm on a Samsung laptop using Windows 7.

I've had the issue for around a month.
Basically whenever my computer is left alone for a bit (with Spotify paused) - for example answering the phone or making a cup of tea - I can't get Spotify to play. It freezes, says not responding and Windows tries to close it. The window closes but the process remains. I can't kill the process (even through Command Prompt) or end the process tree. This means that Spotify cannot restart, as it is already running but not responding. The only way to get it to restart is to shut down the whole computer (thereby getting in the way of anything else I may want to do with it - e.g. work) and restart, which is a massive hassle. In any case, the same process occurs after around 90 minutes.

Things I have already tried - since I first had this problem, I have tried everything on this thread (it seems that multiple users are experiencing the same fault, so I assume it's not just a fault with my computer).

I have also tried a clean reinstall, disabling hardware acceleration, running in compatability mode, and running it as administrator. None of these things has worked. 

I have installed the newest update for spotify, but it keeps crashing and the process still cannot be killed. I've been emailing the support team for about the least three weeks, but nothing they have suggested has worked - I just wanted to know whether any users/super users had found a solution to this problem at all.

I have the same problem as all the other users but  I am using Vista. Never had problems for many months of operation but now it plays havoc with my desktop. I think it is responsible for the computer failing to shut down and also preventing the completion of Windows updates  and other program updates which just sit there saying they are loading but there is no further progress. I can only think that there is some common problem which is affecting Spotify and the ability to complete downloads.

I can't believe this is still an issue and this post has been here for a year. That's pretty rediculous. I just had this happen to me for the first time after months of no problems. Cmon spotify fix this...

I'm having the same problem with windows server 2012.. during the playback, spotify crashes.. then the process stucks in task manager. tried killing with sysinternal tools but no luck.. and suddenly world is a worse place, still green is not a nice color.

Same problem, still not resolved, latest version of spotify, Windows 7. Frus-tra-ting.

This is so frustrating, you should be atleast responsible for the service that you are providing for a fees, I am on a Win7 machine with the latest spotify and it doesn't close and I get this exact same problem when starting a new instance, this is completely unacceptable if the same problem persists since three years or so, what is going on??? It cn't even be ended from thre Task Manager or force kills from the command prompt, its an undying application eating up memory on my system, this is utterly unacceptable!

I am also having this problem 😞 This is the only app messing with my PC and the only reason I have to restart PC again and again.

Same problem here man, it sucks, do I have to trash my computer and use only the phone? That's not cool...

Problem solved for me. I had "internet sharing" turned on on my network adapters. When I turned this option off, the problem disappeared.

Well I've had to reboot this machine three times this morning and still effing bloody Spotify is "already running, please close it and try again". Seems to me that if anyone at Spotify cares they don't care enough to get off their lazy butts and do something. Well that is all very well and good but they are not getting any more of my money unless this schemozzle is sorted.

I have latest version, updated today. Premium. Task manager cannot close Spotify.exe for whatever reason and so it goes.

24 hours later .... nothing. Silence is deafening.

Customer service at its finest.

@tdw123 - What version of Windows are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Windows 7 Premium. SP1. Auto updated on a regular basis.

I have redwonloaded and installed Spotify in the last 24 hours. Did not good at all.

The big question of course is why doesn't the darn program close properly when it crashes. Having to reboot the machine only to see Spotify crash yet again becomes tedious very quickly indeed.

What really annoys me is that as a music player the thing is good. Certainly better than Google Tunes or whatever it is called but unless this gets sorted then its gone.

So based on this thread, it's been 2 years and the problem still isn't fixed.

That's really encouraging -- maybe it's time to uninstall?

Seems to be the case. The expression "useless as tits on a bull" comes to mind.

It seems in fact that there is a solution. One suggested by another user and yet seemingly no one at Spotify deemed it worthy of checking out. So they remain ignorant. Their choice it seems.

Whether the solution is correct or not I cannnot say with any degree of certainty but since I gave Vatios's suggestion a go the problem seems, and I do emphasise seems, to have gone away.

"Problem solved for me. I had "internet sharing" turned on on my network adapters. When I turned this option off, the problem disappeared." Vatios. You need to do a reboot after making the change.

So zero thanks and a big bronx cheer to Spotify for being ever so effing useless. Thanks a million guys.

Hi! I have had this problem for a few months. Being a spotify premium user I expected more help from the spotify team, but like other users, I turned to this community in hope of an answer! And I finally found it! Ctrl Alt Delete to get onto your task manager, then go onto the processes tab (2nd tab from the left and search for the spotify application in the list of processes running, click it and click end task. IT WORKS! NO MORE RESTARTING MY LAPTOP :))

Marked as solution

FIX-you need to go to task manager and scroll down untill you see spotify right click it and end the task and you can use spotify now

this doesnt work. 

this is what i did; (because my keyboard doesnt work, i used a virtual one) i clicked this pc, typed task manager, then i clicked it and exit task. then i exit task manager and open spotify but it didnt worl.

'ic also went into the bottom right corner a nd typed it in searchcbutv it still didnt work

if i did itvwrong can youvplease tell me exactly whar to do step by step please? thank you

Tara ... not sure as to your OS but in W7 you go "Start; Control Panel; Network and Sharing Centre; Change Advanced Sharing Options." then turn off 'Network Discovery',  'File and Printer sharing', 'Public Folder Sharing'.  Save Changes and Exit. You may have to do a reboot.

Since I made this change in June I have had zero problems.

No thanks of course to the plonkers at Spotify.

Suggested posts