Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is not working at all

Solved!

Spotify is not working at all

Description of the Problem - Hi!  I’ve been using Spotify since the beginning of June, I believe, with no problem.  But today, when I started to use Spotify, it wouldn’t work.  I downloaded the recent update on 7/23/2012.  I did do a search of the Windows forum to see if someone had the same problem – which someone did.  I did what the solution was (uninstall and re-install Spotify, but do a clean re-install), and that seems to have done nothing.  My problem is that whenever I try to play music, it says that the music is playing (there is a pause button instead of a play button), but the time slider thing (excuse the poor description) does not move.  When I try to move it, Spotify freezes up, and often times, I have to close the program.  This is really frustrating for me, because I don’t have Spotify premium, so I cannot listen to any of my playlists at the moment, and many of the songs in my playlists are songs I do not own. A more detailed description, using numbered steps - 1. On 7/23/2012, I installed the latest update for Spotify. 2. Since the update, until today (7/25/2012), Spotify has had a little issue, but could be resolved by bringing up the Spotify player window. 3. When I logged onto my computer today, and pressed the play/pause button on my keyboard, nothing played.  I pulled up the window, and noticed the button in the player said the song was playing, but no music was coming out, nor was the time bar thing moving. 4. I hit the skip button, hoping this would make the song play, as it did for the previous two days.  But it just skipped past the song, and didn’t play. 5. Frustrated, I searched the Windows Forums for a solution, and found the idea from a moderator to do a clean re-install of the program. 6. I did do a clean re-install of Spotify, using the website instructions. What I expected to happen - I expected for Spotify to start working again, because I really wanted to listen to my music. What actually happened - Spotify worked for a total of two seconds.  When I tried to play my music, I still had the same problem, and Spotify froze up again. My Operating System - I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. Is your Operating System 32 or 64 bit? - My operating system is a 32 bit system. Do you have a Service Pack installed? - I have Service Pack 1. My Spotify version - I am going to assume I have the latest version of Spotify, since I updated the program on 7/23/2012 (I am not very handy with a laptop, and I’m not sure how to access this information.) My internet provider and country - Comcast, United States of America My username - 1232045308 Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue? - Um, no, unfortunately not.  My computer, in addition to Spotify, has been having some problems freezing up lately, so I am trying to use it as little as possible, until I can get a new laptop. Thank you so much! By the way - sorry for the spacing issues. It's not really working correctly...
47 Replies

The web player does work, awesome! But I already removed and reinstalled the application more than three times. I am still receiving the same response (non-responsive as soon as I open the application). What can I do?

Did you delete the spotify folders before reinstalling? What operating system are you using?

Mac - 

~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

and for Windows in

~\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
~Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming 

ound that turning OFF hardware acceleration under the Spotify settings fixed all my problems when running Spotify under Windows 10

Marked as solution

I found that turning OFF hardware acceleration under the Spotify settings fixed all my problems when running Spotify under Windows 10

Get help by tweeting @Spotifycares. They just helped me straight away and now I'm.back up and running.

If you are on android. Make sure all updates on your phone have been done? Allow that to complete and then reinstall again... worked for me

Spotify is not taking my credit card don't matter if I uninstall it or change it to another Spotify account.

I have been using Spotify since about December of 2015, and I went to listen to it at school (it's the only way I stay sane:))it started jumping around. I got on again about 2 weeks ago, and it is still kind of jumping around, it will stay on one song for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then goes to the next song in the playlist. It is also refusing to play sound whenever I log on. so now I have to use youtube, but I want my Spotify back!!!!! Please fix this problem Spotify

@mustangfoxbody5

Seems like a connectivity problem. Could be the school's firewall?

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Could be, all of the other kids who use it on our school laptops, they are
having the same problem. Thanks man i let everyone else know

I have tryed to restart my pc, and uninstall but when I try to download it then it crash, and I can't download it again 😞

Hey @alfpeder,

You should try a clean reinstall:

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Spotify.

Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.

Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.

Reboot normally.

Reinstall.

Hopefully that'll fix it. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I dowlnoaded Spotify on my Chromebook. It was workig until a few days ago. Now everytime I go on there, it says I need to install AdobeFlash. So, I click on that, but then it sayd AdobeFlash is already pre-dowloaded onto my Chromebook. But, then I try to dowload it. I click on it after it's dowloaded, and then it says it's not compatable for my device. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work.

Usually, it says that after you refresh it a bunch of times, give it a
couple of minutes to load, then you should be able to access your music. It
does it for me as well.

Shelbygt500

Hey @IronEK2003,

If you look at where the link of the page is, next to it there'll be a little Adobe Flash logo with a small cross. Click on it. A small window will open which gives you two options.

You need to select the "Always allow plugins on https://play.spotify.com" option instead of the "block" option that's highlighted.

If you're using Chrome:

Enter Chrome settings

Show advanced settings

Go to privacy-content settings

Next, go to plugins-manage exceptions

Enter new exception : https://play.spotify.com

Click 'Done'.

Close and restart chrome

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Same! I can't believe the atrocity!

Marked as solution

I've gotten it to work now. but when my internet is slow, it tells me to
upload adobe flash version something.
#Tyga is life!!!
Marked as solution

@user-removed wrote:

+1. My Spotify isn't playing anything this morning. Nor is a friends who I wanted to confirm with. 😞

I have had the free verswion for years, they upgraded on about 4/ 06/17 or so and the darn thing wouldn't work.. bummed..I had to delete my old link, like when I had it saved on fav's bar, then download through their site. then it appeared when done loading, like google earth, whatever you call it! Then click on that and it will launch, I'm not a technotird but it worked for me, took a couple hours to figure out... Good luck, I'm getting too old for this BS upgrade stuff, but I still like my free R + R..., Thanks Spot..

Marked as solution

I'm having the same problems on my iPhone 6 installed new updates now I can't get Spotify to work , rebooted lots of times but no change please help it's really frustrating I totally rely on my music I'm not a premium customer 😩Claire

Hey @Clairey1,

You should try deleting (including deletion of the cache and Spotify folders) and reinstalling the app. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Marked as solution

I USED TO LOVE SPOTIFY BUT THEN I WOULD BE HALF WAY THROUGH A SONG AND THEN I HAVE TO GO SO I TURN OF GOOGLE CHROME (SPOTIFY WEB PLAYER) THEN THE NEXT DAY I WOULD GO ONTO IT AND THEN IT WOULD BE STILL PLAYING CONTIUOSLY AND IT SAYS 1212:3.56 PLZ FIX

Suggested posts