Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps installing!

Spotify keeps installing!

Every time I start up Spotify, I get the main screen, which shuts off and then it says it's 'installing Spotify'. It only takes tiime and annoys the living daylights out of me! Can this be solved?

28 Replies

I've seen this before when Spotify hasn't quite installed properly. To fix it, just uninstall Spotify - make sure that all files are completely removed from your system - and install it again. That should do the trick.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

...and my playlistsa and favourites should be intact when I install it again?

Your playlists and starred tracks are all stored on our servers, so you can access them from any computer or mobile device.

But if you've synced anything to your computer to listem to offline then you'd need to sync it again after the reinstall.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Every time I turn on my computer, Spotify hogs my space by going thru "installing" process (2-3 minutes), vs. just always staying installed.  Suggestions?

Hey 🙂 

What operating system are you using? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

windows xp laptop  ... it's not a prob on my iphone.  

@kguigou wrote:

windows xp laptop  ... it's not a prob on my iphone.  

Can you try the instructions here to completely remove and reinstall Spotify and see if that helps? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

if i do your suggestion, when i delete and reload, will i lose my playlists, etc.?

That question has already been answered. Try reading.

I'm having the same damned problem. Went through and deleted everything and installed it again several times. It will work once, then when i run it again, tells me it's installing, then i get error 18. I've had SO many problems with desktop spotify it's ridiculous!!!!

Hey @tjmilb 

Please try to reinstall spotify with cleaning and repairing your registry. Please follow this guide!

1, Uninstall Spotify from "Programs and Features" in Control Panel
2. Remove all spotify folders on your PC
3. Download and run CCleaner, clean and repair your registry.( http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/ )
4. Restart your pc.
3. Install the latest version of spotify.

If my post helped you to fix your problem, please press "Accept as Solution" button.

Easy to uninstall and reinstall. All lists are still there! Thanks

I get the same problem only the installer never finished up and I cant open the program.

I've had this problem for a coiple of months now, why is the program so crap that is doesn't know what''s going on?

It tells me at the top of the window "get the latest version, click here to upgrade"

which I do, then it fails to install 'cos the files are in use.

I have a shortcut ready which I use to delete local and roaming spotify, then install it again, but it is exactly the same version as last time.

Then after a few uses it suddenly decide it want to reinsdtall itself, but can because the files are inuse, groundhog f*cking day!

Yeah, I've been using Spotify on Windows 7 for almost a year and no matter what updates, no matter how many times I uninstall/re-install, the program chooses to to "reinstall" itself every week.

If this is a registry issue, it's your application that's messing up the registry. The only thing I've ever done with application is open and close it.

I don't want to portentious, but this seem to be a major bug. A production application such as this should be stable. Additionally, the fault tolerance of the application is subpar. If my internet drops connection for a moment Spotify takes a solid 5 minutes to figure out what happened.

Is there a crash reporter or log file I can submit to be reviewed by the engineering team? Windows 7 has been out for a very long time and it's one of the most widely used OS in the world. There really isn't an excuse for the application to have installation issues after gracefully shutting down. The Android App and web browser don't have these issues, I'm wondering why the base computer application struggles to perform it's sole function. 

For an application that I have to PAY for....this is BS:
bs.png

still going round this same stupid loop, if it helps, here's my batch file

Sometimes you get access denied so run as administrator

When it asks the question you can Ctr/C to cancel it

pause Are you sure you wish to wipe out spotify?
c:
cd \users\%username%\appdata\local

rd spotify /S /q

cd ..\roaming
rd spotify /S /q

pause

I've had this happen as well. So often, I cancelled my Spotify Premium account because I refuse to pay for something that doesn't work. I've ripped out all my Spotify files, etc, etc, etc, and the problem still persists on both my Win10 laptop and my Win7 desktop. At this point, it's easier for me to go back to You Tube. Bye-bye, Spotify. Let me know when you get your act together.

Same with me. It keeps on saying Aborting and it is so annoying and it has already been few days!

This just does not go away! Quite unbelievable that such a serious malfunction cannot be fixed. Ever? Evidently there is some form of programming skill present at the firm. Just fix it.

Suggested posts