Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Music Fan
‎2012-03-16 02:48 PM

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Spotify keeps skipping

Music Lover
‎2013-09-10 05:10 AM

I was having the same problem and after noticing my G35 headset functions weren't working I unplugged/replugged them to reset the drivers and sure enough that was the cause of it skipping. Every 10 seconds it was trying to refresh the driver and failing, causing the skipping for me. Hope this helps at least one other

Edited
Garage Band
‎2015-12-01 03:56 AM

SOLVED IT!

I figured if it was a server communication issue, it could be fixed by clearing the cache.

First, completely close spotify. The go create a backup of the cache folder "Storage" by renaming it. It is located:

Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage

OS X: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage/

Linux: ~/.cache/spotify/Storage/

I renamed mine "StorageBackup" (this later can and should be deleted as long as nothing gets messed up in the meantime).

Restart spotify. It will recreate the storage folder as it tries to write to it. It SHOULD be working now. 

*EDIT*This folder is probably hidden for you.

Windows users - should be able to access it anyway through windows explorer. If not, you can navigate to it if you go to your folder options and select to show hidden files and folders. (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Mac users - Open finder, hit cmd+shift+G or from the menu select Go > Go To Folder and paste in the file path (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Linux Users - you know what ur doing, m8.

Music Lover
‎2016-02-03 12:55 PM
It's fixed now lol, I just started to watch youtube for a bit then went back to see if it still was skipping and it worked fine....smh spotify

Music Lover
‎2016-04-06 02:14 PM

Same here... ever since I downgraded for one month it just skips random songs when streaming on desktop under Windows.

This just plain su***

Spotify, you need to fix this. You can't have prmium members just being unable to stream music. I am tempted on downgrading once and for all.

Music Lover
‎2016-05-09 01:45 PM
Unconnect with your internet network and try again!

Festival Fanatic
‎2016-05-09 02:31 PM

This was the solution for me on Mac (and the solution ONLY would apply to Mac).

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Mac/Stream-cuts-in-and-out/m-p/1321576#M8370

192 Replies

Gig Goer
‎2012-03-21 07:31 PM

Same problem here. Very annoying!

Spotify Legend
‎2012-03-21 07:40 PM
Hello,

Try popping into your Preferences menu (Edit > Preferences) and then unchecking the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" setting. This generally solves some playback issues in Windows machines.
-----
Airhorn Enthusiast

Gig Goer
‎2012-03-21 07:46 PM

I've tried that, but it didn't help. I've updated to the latest version, and it's only with spotify I'm having these audio problems.

Music Fan
‎2012-03-22 07:28 AM

I've the same problem - the songs keep skipping about 10 seconds in and then play normally. 
It only does this when I change the songs myself and not when the playlist keeps playing on its own.

I've tried re-installing and updating, and I unchecked the "Enable Hardware Acceleration - nothing helps?!

Music Fan
‎2012-07-29 09:09 AM

AHHHH!!! This has JUST started to happen on my mobile!!

I cant find preferences to change anything and just want to go out for a run!

Any ideas on what can be done??

Music Fan
‎2012-08-01 04:56 PM
Same problem- started skipping 10sec at a time on my phone

Music Fan
‎2012-08-01 07:48 PM

I'm having the exact same problem.  Every song skips.  Every single one.

At this point the software is not usable at all.

Music Fan
‎2012-08-02 02:17 PM

Same for me.

Says: can't play current track. but it plays it for 5seconds, then skip to next song.

Music Lover
‎2012-08-30 04:39 PM

I've discovered the culprit!  Hardware acceleration is NO solution.  The evil force behind this annoying track skipping is none other than iTunes itself!  I discovered this when playing the same song on one machine that has iTunes installed (uploaded from my iTunes on that machine) and another machine that does not have iTunes installed.  The result?  Skipping on the machine that has iTunes, and no skipping on the machine that does not have iTunes. 

So, what say you Spotify admins?  I could understand you not wanting to disparage iTunes, or reveal that there is a cross-platform problem between the software for fear of losing subscribers due to compatability issues.  Honestly though, you shouldl have discovered this.  Now that I have served the problem to you on a platter, it is in your best interests to find a solution.

SUGGESTED POSTS