Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

Why does Spotify keep skipping in Denver? I've tried Chrome, Firefox, IE, all same problems. My internet is at 40 mbps - Spotify in Denver sucks!!!

I have the same problem and don't know how to fix it.

I have a Samsung Note 4 with no itunes installed yet I still have the same problem... ??

I've been having this same problem and think I may have fixed it.  It still pauses but no longer skips.  It turned out to be a setting I enabled in another app.  The setting was called "Enable External Music Support" for the app "Zombies, Run".    The setting allows it to pause or lower the music volume in Spotify when I'm running the Zombies, Run app.  

Only thing is that I wasn't running the app but perhaps it had some background processes I wasn't aware of.  So I would check to see if you have another app running with thi setting and disable it.

I have an android that does not have iTunes and this occurs as well.

Tried unchecking enabling hardware acceleration

Unchecking "show tracks from these sources"

Uninstalled Itunes

Completely uninstalled spotify (using revo uninstaller which picks up all leftover traces of programs when uninstalling) and reinstalling

aaaaaaand songs are still skipping. I don't know what happened 😕 it works fine on my phone but if I'm going to keep paying for premium this needs to get addressed soon.

I formatted my drive and re-installed windows 7 entirely. Spotify still skips when I'm doing other tasks on my computer (mostly browsing), but no other music service seems to have this issue for me. It appears some music skips more than others as well which is odd. 

My laptop specs:
250GB ssd
i7 Q720 
8GB memory

I've found that on both my Windows and Mac computers that Spotify has a tendancy (more often than not) to start pausing and skipping if my computer is ever put into standby/sleep mode.  Bascially when resuming it, the application seems to have issues.

Every computer I use has the Spotify Cache on SSD disk, so disk performance is not a factor.  Quitting and reloading Spotify will typically resolve the issue, so there seems to be a bug which specifically gets triggered as part of the resume from standby process.

I just recently got a new computer and for the first time I experience this problem now as well - and it makes listening to Spotify pretty much impossible.
Tracks - mostly streaming ones and not the ones in my Local files - are skipping, stuttering, restarting and sometimes it moves to the next track already after a few seconds. I have never experienced this before.
At times I get an error code, saying it's a server problem.

I have a stationary, not a laptop, running on Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit (I had Windows 7 before as well on my old computer) and am using a wireless broadband internet connection.

I have the latest Spotify update installed.

I have tried the common "solution" - unchecking the "hardware accelaration" and then reopening Spotify - and it certainly doesn't help.
Nor does checking the Spotify status indicate that there is any issue.

I also find it strange, that when trying to click on the link where it's meant to be possible to contact the Spotify crew directly, it asks me for my Login - although I am already logtged in - and then it fails and says it "can't handle your login".
Kind of annoying since I seriously doubt that ANYONE from Spotify actually reads these posts at all. 

Nor does unchecking the boxes connected with the sources of the different music files (iTunes, Windows Media Player etc.) help.
And since the skipping occurs on both local and streaming files, even more so oin the latter, I doubt that the local file sources are the issue anyway.

If it helps anyone else, I am on a laptop (Macbook Air, OSX Yosemite) and spotify was skipping a lot.  Restarting the Spotify app fixed it.  The laptop had been sleeping with the lid closed so that's most likely what caused it and restarting Spotify fixed it in my case.

Go into your settings on spotify and scroll down until you find the delete cache and saved data. It will delete everything in the app other than the app itself but it will fix the problem. Worked for me! Using a note 3.

I had this problem with only a few songs skipping. I've found the solution to my problem!

Spotify takes any songs you have saved from your hard drive and plays them instead of streaming them (to save bandwidth and what-have-you). Unfortunately, however, some songs on your hard drive may have incomplete files when either the download is broken, the file is partially downloaded or if the CD you ripped was scratched and had skips.

Upon realising this, I deleted the source files for the songs which were skipping. But alas! the songs were still skipping. This is because iTunes, Windows Media Player and other file-playing programs have their own song caches (or libraries, in their terminology).

Thus, you can either:

Delete the faulty source files and their cached counterparts (i.e. delete them explicitly from the iTunes library) and re-download them.

Or go into Spotify's settings and stop it dragging in these saved files:

Go into preferences, Edit -> Preferences, and uncheck the options under "Local Files".

This should solve skipping issues for individual songs!

That was really bugging me for years. Skipping on the odd song. Clearing the cache didn't do it. Deleting from itunes did. many thanks

Im using Spotify by browser on play.spotfy.com and having the same problem.

It start at one or two weeks ago and only occour in radio play option, playlists are ok.

Im using google chrome under linux. Maybe it's related with some extension or plugin cause in incognito mode its normal.

Since this morning spottify premium skips all songs at high speed and it cannot play back. It does so for any list stored that works off line or for radios and other searched lists. I pay a premium service please provide a solution

So what ur saying is to uninstall  itunes..?

It seems like it is a problem with the sound driver, in my case I started to have this problem when I installed windows 10, so after a lot of research  I have uninstalled the new driver and I insttalled an old driver, finally it is working perfect

i cant find the enable hardware acceleration box. At playback only ''crossfade tracks'' and ''set the same volume for all tracks'' are displayed. Help plz?

I don't have ITunes, so that isn't the problem for me. I just started having this issue-- in 2015!

Suggested posts