Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

Same problem and solved it thanks to chrisclaybo (message #10). It skipped every song I had in my iTunes Library. So I got into Spotify Preferences and unchecked the "local files" sources. Doing that, everything was ok again. I think it is a big bug that Spotify team should solve as soon as possible, since checking local sources it was a cool feature. Cheers!

Sooo... 3 years later and this just started happening to me. I do not have iTunes, and never have and never will. I have no other local music on my hard drive, and haven't installed any new software that could tamper with Spotify. It just started skipping every song now. 7 seconds in. 

So, if none of the presented solutions so far work for me... what is the solution? 😮

Exact same thing is happening to me. I've had no issues with spotify unil now, every 7 seconds into a song it skips. I added about 10 new songs to my music on Spotify today but other than that its been business as usual so I don't know what could've caused it.

I've been listening to Spotify all day with no problems until just recently. 

I haven't added any new music and I dont have any local files on it. It doesn't skip every song, but most of them are about 6-7seconds in.

Annoying...

I'm also getting this just starting today. I don't have any local files either, it doesn't matter if it's an album, playlist or  radio. It will play about 7 seconds of a song and then skip to the next one.

Me too. Starting happening a few hours ago. Plays 6-7 seconds of a song and just skips to the next,  sometimes will say can't play current track.  I don't have local files scanned in,  happens on radio, playlists etc.

Same here, this issue just popped up this evening.  Mac user with El Capitan, and Spotify 1.0.18.60.g5fe0413d.

It's happening here too. Mac OS X El Captain, Spotity updated. Clearly there's something going on if we are all suddenly having this issue at the same time. Maybe a bad server node? What region is everyone located? I'm midwest. 

@wholigan I am in mid atlantic, Delaware.  Guess spotify is having problems.

Same thing happening to mine as well. After a few seconds; skips to the next song. Then a few seconds on that song; skips to the next.

From what i can tell spotify works like normal on my mobile and tablet. i was playing it on my desktop and it all of a sudden (10 min ago) started to skip. there is something going on with the windows 10 maybe spotify or microsoft will have a patch coming soon?

@wraithguy I'm having the issue on a mac, so is someone else in the forum right now, so it's probably not your system. And my android phone is also working fine. My guess is these devices are using different servers and our desktops are on a bad one.

@wraithguy I'm not on windows 10.

ah ok yea i forgot there are other platforms using the service. so maybe its something on the spotify side that needs updating?

Booted into linux mint  and spotify is not having this issue on linux.  Playing just fine.  Boot back into windows and it's skipping songs after 6-7 seconds of any song.  

EDIT: Getting worse now on Windows, Spotify now can't detect an internet connection. (error code 4) offline.

I also started having this issue about half an hour ago. Seven seconds in to each song. I've tried it on radio and saved playlists, as well as offline and online. Same issue everywhere, every song. If I skip ahead to the middle of the song before it moves onto the next one it will give an error at the top: "Can't play the current track." I'm on Win 7.

It's working fine on my windows 7 machine too. I wish there was a debug mode so we could try to solve this. Clearly no one at spotify is paying attention to this forum activity...

My Mac spotify is completely "offline" now, even after reconnecting my wifi and restarting spotify. Anyone else having this issue now?

i tried to fire it back up on my win 10 and now it says "no internet connection detected. spotify will auto connect when it detects connection error code: 4"

Im having the exact same issue. Started with skipping about 4 seconds into the song, and now says no internet connection. Same error on a windows 10 and windows 7 Device. 

Marked as solution

SOLVED IT!

I figured if it was a server communication issue, it could be fixed by clearing the cache.

First, completely close spotify. The go create a backup of the cache folder "Storage" by renaming it. It is located:

Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage

OS X: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage/

Linux: ~/.cache/spotify/Storage/

I renamed mine "StorageBackup" (this later can and should be deleted as long as nothing gets messed up in the meantime).

Restart spotify. It will recreate the storage folder as it tries to write to it. It SHOULD be working now. 

*EDIT*This folder is probably hidden for you.

Windows users - should be able to access it anyway through windows explorer. If not, you can navigate to it if you go to your folder options and select to show hidden files and folders. (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Mac users - Open finder, hit cmd+shift+G or from the menu select Go > Go To Folder and paste in the file path (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Linux Users - you know what ur doing, m8.

Suggested posts