Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify native Mac app extremely slow

Spotify native Mac app extremely slow

There are multiple threads about this already but all of them seem to be either solved or old. I, however, still have the problem that the Mac app of Spotify is very very very slow. 

When starting up it takes about 5 minutes before I see the window, at which point I can only see the left bar with playlists etc, but the entire content area is empty except for a spinner. After that, it takes about half an hour until I can see songs and start playing music. When I search or go to another playlist the whole problem starts again and I will have to wait for a minimum of 15 minutes again, JUST to switch playlists!

How can it be that this is so extremely slow? I have already tried the following things: 

- Restarting the app

- Reinstalling the app

- Turned off the right friends-bar

- Turned off syncing local files

I'm using Spotify version 1.0.52.725.g943b26a8, Mac OS version 10.12.4, internet speed currently on average 85 mbps. 

15 Replies

I recently got Spotify, and I can attest to all of this. The mac desktop app is incredibly slow. I got not only spotify, but the premium service as well considering when I downloaded this on my phone it worked like a charm. Fast forward to today when I've had spotify desktop for a week and I'm still having these issues. 

I'm having the same issues.  iPhone app works fine, but searches and loading on the Mac desktop app hang.

Same, terrible. 

As a premium user for several years I can say that this has gotten worse. I am now on my one year old imac with a netspeed of 120 mbps and I am still waiting for spotify to load. Considering changing to apple music if this cannot be solved. 

I STILL can't believe after a few years that Spotify hasn't answered these problems. I use it for work and it is sometimes impossible to make a playlist, creating even more time for me (which I don't get paid for). Would appreciate if they put some time into this especially for Premium users PAYING for spee/service. 

I've been emailing with Spotify support and together with them I tried a few things to see if it helped. 

Clean install with cache clear again, going back to an older version, removing excess playlists that I didn't use anymore (apparently iTunes had imported 200 playlists that I didn't want there), using a test account from them. Nothing worked unfortunately. 

I told them there were loads of other people here on the forum with the same problem. The last email said their IT peeps are looking into it and they hoped to solve the problem with the next update. 

Fingers crossed. 

Have you been having this problem for years?! Holy moly. 

Yeah I'm not sure if they even check this forum, to be honest... When I emailed them I got a quick response though. 

Maybe they aren't even aware of how many people have this problem.

By the way, this is a link I found in another thread and through here you can get in contact with an actual person working there. Maybe their support can help either of you, worst case scenario at least they'll know many people have this problem. 

https://support.spotify.com/nl/contact-spotify-support/

**UPDATE**

I gave up dealing with spotify support and took matters into my own hands, did a completely new install with a new download package from the spotify website, seems to be working for me for now. If you take my advice and try this method, make sure you uninstall spotify property, by following the instructions they list out. It does wipe your downloaded content, but I mean atleast the app works for me thus far now.

Never mind, it didnt last very long. Sigh. Spotify needs to get this fixed.

I have also tried the complete uninstall and reinstall, but as you said; the positive effect only lasted for a short while . If it weren't for the fact that we have a family account and my daughters deny a switch to other services I would have cancelled my subscription by now

I have the same issue and it is effing annoying. Sadly, the best solution if you don't want to use your phone is using the web-based version. Spoti, you are beginning to annoy me, losing faith...

Since I installed an older version (1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6) Spotify has been working quite well. Way better than with the newer version I had. 

The only thing that sometimes is super slow is opening a song in Spotify that has been sent via Slack, but that's all. 

I see that by now they've done some updates (they're now at 1.0.57 - when my problems started it was 1.0.54) but I'm afraid to update. 

How did you install the older version? Do you have a link?

Problem persists; only solution I've found is to use the web app.

Suggested posts