Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play music at all

Solved!

Spotify won't play music at all

Hello, 

Does anyone have a real solution to the fact that spotify doesn't play ANYTHING (neither local nor remote songs). 

I have tried various solutions found on Spotify Community : 

-  Uninstall / reinstall Spotify and Update flash play

-  Update Quicktime

-  Unlick the local files in preferences

-  Change proxy settings

I have been over a month without music and am literally having a depression for not being able to listen to music at work. Plus i'm starting to get annoyed because I have paid a month's subscription for nothing. 

Who thou shalt solve my problem will be sent one kick ass playlist.

Larry

123 Replies

I had the same issue until I realized that the USB port that my headphones were plugged into was bad. I switched to another port, restarted Spotify, and it worked straight away. I should note that I wasn't getting sound in any other application before this issue was resolved so I'm guessing that if Spotify doesn't detect working speakers or a working headset, it doesn't play?

I was having the same problem except even when I was playing a game, no sound would come through. Then I decided to unplug my headphones and it worked. Hope this helps somebody. 🙂

I'm not sure why this is linking to a solution when the problem hasn't actually been solved. I'm a new user and I'm having the same exact issues that people have mentioned. No music will play on my iphone at all, even after I uninstalled the app and re-dowloaded.

Day two of my free trial and I have yet to listen to any music on my phone. I'll just switch back to Rhapsody, at least their stuff actually works correctly.

Had the same problem, after reading this I decided to unplug my headphones, hit play, then plug back in. Worked perfectly. So thanks!

I reinstalled Spotify and it worked again.  However upon exiting it reloaded the updated version and now doesn't work again (doesn't play).

@dlinsky wrote:

I reinstalled Spotify and it worked again.  However upon exiting it reloaded the updated version and now doesn't work again (doesn't play).

What version are you having issues on exactly (Help > About)?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Version 0.9.1.43.gca4c2c73

My spotify is not playing music this morning, this is the first time it's happened. No matter what I click it just won't play a track.

It is only doing this on my desktop, but still works on my phone.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled spotify.

Thanks,

Naomi

There is an ongoing service issue: https://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus/status/346570514053079043

Seems to be fixed for me now 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi! Im glad Im not the only one with this problem although it doesnt lessen my frustration. Every now and then I can hear the beginning of one song but halfway through the sound dies, keeps "playing" and no matter how many times I press pause and play again it doesnt start again. Have also uninstalled and reinstalled, updated programs to no avail. Works on my computer at work just fine, but not my cellphone. Am going on vacation and desperately want my music with me! No error message or anything. What to do?? Please HELP.

Jmaries - This sounds like a different issue than the others on the thread. What device are you having trouble with?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I have an iphone 3gs. Could that be the problem?

NOTHING IS WORKING. I'm literally about to quit. I didn't even want to download the 'app' in the first place, the internet player was working fine + this is so frustrating -.-

Hi has anybody had the same problem as me and have sorted it .  I dont know where to go to uninstal it spotify.

cheers

Hey, what operating system are you using and what isn't working as it should?

@CottonCandyHoe wrote:

NOTHING IS WORKING. I'm literally about to quit. I didn't even want to download the 'app' in the first place, the internet player was working fine + this is so frustrating -.-

What problems are you having and what operating system?

@sherbertlolly wrote:

Hi has anybody had the same problem as me and have sorted it .  I dont know where to go to uninstal it spotify.

cheers

Was having the same problem. I had the columns deactivated because I was using only headphones. The solution I found was activating them and predefining them, restarting spotify and it started working instantly. Hope it helps.

Hello, my Spotify just stopped overnight. It worked fine when I left my computer yesterday. I did absolutely nothing to it in between leaving it and this morning. I did not shut it down or turn it off and didn't install anything.

Symptoms:

Open Spotify - Fine

Disover Page - Loads Fine

Open any playlist - Fine

Play any song - Fail - Double click song 'Play' button turns to pause button. can move the slider bar through the song and it would stay at the point it was left at, but still no music.

Close app by using Command-Q (Mac)  (Which I did).

Music still did not play (same symptoms).

Hardware - iMac running OSX10.8.4

Other points of note:

I am using Spotify Version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

Did have a new version of Flash installed two days ago but Spotify played fine after that.

Spotify works fine on my mobile phone and my tablet.

Do you get any error messages if you start spotify from the command line?

Hi Joe,

When I try it from the command line, I receive a message saying "failed with error -43." I'm looking around to see what that means but if you know, that would be helpful.

Best,

John

Suggested posts