Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spots doesn't install on Windows 10 *error code 18*

Solved!

Spots doesn't install on Windows 10 *error code 18*

I saw a 4 page thread with this error code and no mod or anyone associated with Spotify even replied.

So here goes pissing into the wind.  

I unistalled Spots...using Windows 10....then went to install it.  During the installatin process I get Error Code 18.

Something about be sure spotify isn't running and then try again.

Honestly...kinda shocked this is a problem.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Try following the steps on the Clean reinstallation article to make sure there are no traces of Spotify left.

Try disabling your antivirus when running the install to make sure it can add the necessary files to your system.

You can also install it using this installer to see if that makes any difference. Since that installer has all the files, give it a whirl running in safe mode.

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi everyone,

I had this problem on my Windows 10 aswell and managed to solve it. The installer provided did not help and still kept getting error code 18. What i noticed is that i had couple spotify .tmp -files running on the background which could not be closed or deleted. You can check for these from task manager tab "Additional information" (not sure if it goes by that name in english version of windows, but try very similiar one if it doesn't)

That tab should show you all the programs that are currently running. If you see anything spotify related there, you have them running.

If so, uninstall spotify if you already haven't and restart your computer. That will clean the .tmp files from Appdata/roaming -folder. Now install Spotify again and you should succeed!

Marked as solution

thanks this is the only way I could fix it Ta

Marked as solution

I still kept getting the issue and my problem was, when I previously uninstalled spotify it didn't remove the registry. Check if the registry has been removed and install it again.

43 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Try following the steps on the Clean reinstallation article to make sure there are no traces of Spotify left.

Try disabling your antivirus when running the install to make sure it can add the necessary files to your system.

You can also install it using this installer to see if that makes any difference. Since that installer has all the files, give it a whirl running in safe mode.

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

The installer you linked worked great. no fuzz about you allready have spotify installed after searching all over apps and function(windows 10) 

did not work, still recieving the error message when installing. the downloader downloads the application but will not install

@x7r4n3x

Hello:

You can try out this solution and see if this fixes the errors you have here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Error-Code-14-and-then-18/td-p/11954...

Hi Anthony

You wizard.  Had problems with Spotify on my new lenovo PC - don't know how but clicking on your install link has solved it -

Many thanks

Richard

Hello. Thank you, Sir. The install link helped imediatelly. 

The installer you posted worked wonders! Thank you! 🙂

hell yeah! thanks anthony!

the link worked good, thanks a lot

I already had Spotify installed but I got the error anyway. I have Windows 10 and I restarted, only then the problem was solved without entering another link..

Thanks for the help!

now I have error number 6 when spotify fails to install

seems to be interfering with the start menu, cortana, and notifications also.... after reinstalling

taking this up with microsoft

confirmed... had to uninstall it in safe mode and remove spotify.  Running the November update for windows 10. BTW after fixing it I asked Cortana what she thought about spotify and she said "I'm not sure. But I know what the cow says. "

rather recomend doing a system restore first 

Thankyou Anthony, the link worked!! 🙂

You can also just delete your sound card driver (the Realtek audio device) in device manager, and then reboot your PC. It then automatically reinstalls the sound card driver. It worked for me

Works for Win 10 and 8, not sure if it works for win 7 and beneath..

Merci Beaucoup. Very helpful !

Suggested posts