Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Starred Playlist Is Empty Now

Solved!

Starred Playlist Is Empty Now

Hello!

When I opened up Spotify (desktop app) this morning, I noticed that my Starred playlist is now empty. All of my other playlists have the songs in them still, just the starred playlist is now empty. The starred playlist still had songs in it last night before I went to bed.

I've already tried re-installing the desktop app, but that didn't resolve the issue. I updated my desktop application to the latest version too, but the equivalent playlist (Songs if I understand correctly) didn't have the starred songs in it. This is also true on the web player and the mobile app. Anyone have an idea what the issue might be?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had to use Recover playlist option in your account section, did try starring them but they vanished when I restarted Spotty! U can rename your playlist but I did like using starred!

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Same problem here. Over 2000 songs gone. This better be a temporary bug.

I have the same problem! I am running an old version, as I am sure you guys are too. I like this version, because with the stars you can actually tell what songs in your library are already in your starred playlist. When I listen to Spotify, I either listen to all of my tracks on shuffle, or my Starred playlist (which for me is basically my favorites). I am bummed that this was removed.

not sure what to do to get my music back the only thing i save music to is starred so now i dont have anything

Same problem here. Also any songs that I now add to my starred playlist instantly disappear.

Same problem here!    A major amount of songs lost. 😞

All other playlists seem intact.     I though "Starred" was just a normal playlist since ages ago, no?

Fix me quick, bro!

Same here guys, opening PC Spotify and nothing! Playlists ok but starred vanished, laptop was ok until I rebooted it then they went too! Worrying if the ones you add now are disappearing? Do we wait or try to add more? If we do then the others come back? We will have a major issue!

Marked as solution

I had to use Recover playlist option in your account section, did try starring them but they vanished when I restarted Spotty! U can rename your playlist but I did like using starred!

Thanks for reporting this one guys.

Just backed up all my playlist in case it spreads over to me. Kinda surprised though, there's an issue with every single Spotify update for both the desktop and mobile application.

I read stories like this so often, I just sit in fear that i'll wake up one monday morning and everything would've disappeared.

Sad

Thanks for reporting this one guys.

Just backed up all my playlist in case it spreads over to me. Kinda surprised though, there's an issue with every single Spotify update for both the desktop and mobile application.

I read stories like this so often, I just sit in fear that i'll wake up one monday morning and everything would've disappeared.

Sad

I'm not sure if Spotify realizes why this is a problem so let me try to explain it further. When I am listening to music in my library and I come across a song I really like, I star the track to add it to my starred playlist. Here's the issue: without stars, I do not know if that track is already in my starred playlist or not. Hopefully this is just a temporary problem. I have loved being able to use an older version of Spotify because the stars are what made me fall in love with the software in the first place.

Any news on this? I have about 800+ starred songs in the list, and that's pretty much all I have. Help!

I've just had the exact same thing happen. My starred playlist is 7200 songs long. Where is it?

Contacted Spotify by live chat and my man Julius H sorted this all out and made me a new playlist. Recovered everything except local tracks. What a ledge

I spent an hour chatting to a Spotify Online Chat person earlier today, and they couldn't help.

Starred list is now empty '0' tracks! grrrr

This is a big headache for me.

I'd spent numerous hours recently sorting all my playlists out! I was using starred as my absolute most favourite songs, it was by far my most used playlist! So many random tracks, which I'll never remember them all.

Effectively the starred option wasn't a playlist in the same way the others are. They've taken the starred option away from the app, and with it, they've taken away everyone’s music which was starred.

They said this has affected a lot of people, and they'll try their best to put the music back as an individual playlist, but they can't promise.

I'm now not sure I trust Spotify to manage my music anymore (which is a shame, because I've always liked how the app worked)..

Just deleting something that took me hours to assemble is really not on, especially for a paid service. (Imagine if Google Docs did this!?)

I've given them a couple of weeks to put it back, or else I'll cancel my subscription, and start purchasing my music individually again.

I fully understand, I loved the star option and am mad as **bleep**, can I ask which media do u use? PC Laptop Tablet? I use Vista PC as my main hub and I can tell u starred is working again, but on my XP laptop it's not! Use your easiest media to create your starred list and save it as a playlist, copy all that stuff into a new playlist (back up) then delete your starred playlist, u can check its there as a recovery option in your account! At least when it's sorted u can find those tracks again and star them (hopefully)

Hi there. I have the same problem ... unable to recover it also when login in and out the starred list remains empty telling me there are zero songs in the starred list. Did you find a solution please let me know ! Katrien
Katrienvandeveere@yahoo.com

Not too surprised. I've basically given up providing feedback. Spotify has for the longest time and without reason been against the ability to favourite or love specific tracks. I.e. having us curating our own favourites in a simple manner which shows throughout the app(s).

"Your Music", launched over three (!) years ago which was supposed to replace Collections (remember that?) and Starred, still lacks basic functionality that Starred has (or Collections had). Saving a song isn't the same, as we still can't have them offline in the desktop client. Nor do they look the same (actual stars), or offer the ability to customize with a cover and description.

If I were to save an album, all of the songs in that album would show up in "Songs", which I don't want as that's not for albums. However, in "Albums" you can select to hide albums you've not explicitly saved. I could use that feature in "Songs" and "Artists" too, but to no avail.

Dysfunction and fragmentation in features is still at large for this billion dollar company, years after the deployment of a 1.0 client used by millions.

Spotify simply does not care about what people want; their data shows how we use Spotify, but not why we might use certain features or how we value them over others.

This is more clear than ever by this move -- this time not removing features without a replacement (e.g. play/pause tray icon functions), but actually removing users' songs without an explanaition or backup of them.

As someone said above, how can we trust them with our other playlists now or that "Your Music" won't be removed in favour of yet another new 'feature' in the future? Slippery slope, Spotify...

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

Suggested posts