Stop Spotify Automatic Startup on Windows 8

Stop Spotify Automatic Startup on Windows 8

Music Fan
‎2014-02-04 06:40 PM

You know the deal - Spotify demands to be the first program that opens upon startup, slows down my entire computer with this task, and is just a pain in the rear end because I have to start my laptop multiple times a day and only use Spotify a few times a week.

I've read a whole bunch of help on how to edit the startup problem, but all articles are written for Windows 7 or below, and Windows 8 is a whole new interface. I've tried going to programs and clicking on Spotify, but 'uninstall' is the only option - and to be honest if this problem continues I probably will end up uninstalling it. So how do I fix this problem with the Windows 8 program?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

7 Replies

Re: Stop Spotify Automatic Startup on Windows 8

Community Legend
‎2014-02-04 07:00 PM
Can you not turn it off from inside the client?
Edit > Preferences > Scroll Down > Don't open automatically.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Community Legend
‎2014-02-04 07:00 PM

Checking the "don't open" option doesn't work?

Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Music Fan
‎2015-04-03 10:39 PM

I'm trying to stop spotify from opening on windows. I've tried clicking "edit" "preference" but nothing about opening pops up. In fact, nothing at all pops up. I detest spotify because this is the SECOND time I've had to struggle to stop this annoying program from slowing my computer down to a crawl. 

Music Fan
‎2015-04-07 05:26 AM

Yeah, I don't see the option to stop it from auto-starting on Windows 8 either.  The preferences do show up in the middle of the app, but there's nothing about startup.  Advanced options has nothing either.

go1
Music Fan
‎2015-04-13 01:30 PM

I had the same probelm, it's super annoying.

In the latest version, select edit -> preferences and scroll to the bottom. Find "advanced preferences" and click to expand.

Scroll a bit more and you will then see a headding for "open spotify" change the answer to "no" next to the questions "open spotify automatcially..."

Music Fan
‎2015-07-25 02:19 PM

The free utility program Glary has a startup manager feature appear on the inital opening screen. Select that and see Spotify items enabled for automatic startup. Click on them to disable automatic startup.

Music Fan
‎2016-06-26 12:37 PM

I click on Edit and get the drop-down menu including "Preferences... Ctrl+P" but when I click on it (or press Ctrl+P) nothing happens. Any ideas?

SUGGESTED POSTS