Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Surface Goes to Sleep

Surface Goes to Sleep

I've got a Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8.1) and very annoyingly it stops playing music everytime the screen goes to sleep, I'm sure the screen should just turn off without Spotify stopping as well. As soon as I wake it up Spotify resumes playing.

Is this a spotify issue or a Surface issue, I'm sure playing media should continue when the device goes to sleep?

Cheers,

John

81 Replies

Go to Spotify properties

Copy and paste -enable-exclusive-audio at the end of Target  

Should read like this:

C:\Users\yournamewillbehere\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe -enable-exclusive-audio

CLICK ok and you are good to go. 

This doesn't work on my Surface

genae84: thanks for the suggestion, can you list steps to confirm that this works? I followed your instructions and the audio still stops when the screen dims on its own or when I press the sleep button. I don't believe this switch is allowing Connected Standby as expected.

Surface Pro 4

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Spotify: 1.0.55.487.g256699aa

Unsolved all existing non-solutions until we get some verification of actual Connected Standby compatibility up in here.

Thank You for solution! Now my ASUS Win10 tablet does not going to sleep, even the players box appear on the lock screen. But we should do the same changes with the every starting icon of Spotify, becouse these are switches for the aplication starting, not a settings for a multiple starts!

I am still wondering why Spotify developers can not include these settings in the menu available for all users easiliy!

lockscreen.png
Launchsettings.png

I have the same issue with my new Dell XPS 9360.  Once the screen shuts off, the music stops.

Please fix this.  I cannot use the app to play music while at home.

This is still NOT working, now on SP5!

Very disappointed by Spotify, unable to support Connected Standby mode for many years now!

genae84's solution can't be used on spotify app downloaded from the MS Store. The problem still exists on MS Surface Pro 4 with Creators Update

I have the same problem. It's incrdible that spotify doesn't fix it!

After a whole day of research and testing I made it work for an HP Stream 7
It seems that this behavior occurs in all mobile windows devices (phones, laptops and tablets)
I found that if you change the Connected Standby property on the registry to 0 and set the sleep to NEVER the music will continue to be heard after the screen goes off.

In the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System \CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

(change from 1 to 0 and restart)

Hope it helps everybody with the same maddening behavior.

This is a sad workaround, because you completely switch off connected standby! covfefe!

I'm sure we all will truly appreciate some enlightenment from you to solve this with a not so sad workaround.

No, but an even sadder (but much more battery saving) one: switch to groove music.

Unfortunately this behavior does not apply to Windows Media Player only, I am streaming Hi-Res music from Tidal using a Play-Fi device, and it is equally affected when the screen goes off.

(by the way it does not affect Spotify Premium)
So for me since I am using the tablet just to control the streaming it works fine.

Spotify,

Please please please please fix this. Connected standby kills the battery and is a hack. It will not take your developers a long time to fix it (I'm a .NET developer myself). At the moment spotify is not compatable with Surface Pro Tablets.

At the very least you owe an explanation as to whether or not this is being investigated.

Thanks

Garry

Hi, what is the registry and where do I find it?

Doesn't work for me on a WIN 10 device.

Hi Elma

1. Start the registry editor (type the following into the start bar "regedit.exe").
  2. Go down the folders to get to "Power", it's found here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Power.
  3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.

Doing this allows Spotify to play in the background but also does other stuff such as kill the battery for one.

Really Spotify... No reply after 3 weeks? You seem to have time to tell me how many badges I've earned and my rank in the community.

Just a response.. Just something, it's a known error, you're looking into it, it won't be fixed, it will be fixed next year.. Your general lack of activity here given the number of people posting is really not good.

Does the Spotify player not use SetThreadExecutionState on Windows? In a traditional Win32 application this is the usual way for a media playback application to tell the system not to go to sleep. In the case of an application that doesn't play back video I would expect something like this...

SetThreadExecutionState(ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED | ES_CONTINUOUS);

Hey folks, 

We're sorry to hear your having trouble with the Surface Pro. We had a similar issue reported in this thread here. Does it look like the same issue?

If it is, hopefully that'll answers any questions you have. 

If anyone's having trouble with a device that's not the Surface Pro, we'd recommend creating a new thread so that we can look into those issues separately. 

Thanks!

Suggested posts