Trouble with Windows 8? Read this first.

Solved!
1 person liked this

Re: Trouble with Windows 8? Read this first.

Music Fan
‎2012-11-25 12:56 PM

Anyone care to simplify this? I haven't really got a clueof what's going on and I've only just started with Windows 8.

Thanks

Highlighted
4 people liked this

Concert Regular
‎2012-11-25 01:32 PM

It seems like Spotify crashes if you got internet connection sharing enabled when installing Spotify.

If you had it enabled during installation you don't have to uninstall Spotify just switch it off and try playing a few songs in spotify, if spotify no longer crashes then this have been the issue.

Since many of us need the internet sharing enabled this is not a very good solution, but if turning the sharing off worked, try switching it back on and see if Spotify is still working.

For me this worked,  after switching the internet sharing back to on, Spotify no longer crashes after a few seconds of music and i can share my internet connection!

To enable/disable internet sharing go to:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

In the upper left corner click ''change adapter settings''

Right click on the internet connection you want to share/sharing and choose properties

Go to ''sharing'' and enable/disable (Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection)

2 people liked this

Garage Band
‎2012-12-04 02:16 PM

lot of people have had this issue (myself included), a fix/workaround recently came up in the forums but has obviously been pushed down the list of topics.

Fix:

1. Click search on your charms bar, type in 'services.msc' and open the app, scroll down to 'Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)', right click, properties, and set startup type to 'disabled'.

2. Return to the list and also disable 'SSDP Discovery' in the same way

3. Return to the list and make sure 'UPnP Device Host' is set to 'Manual'

This should stop Spotify from crashing for most people - also, make sure you have no random/spare connections in your connections list (opens to the right hand side when you click on the connection icon in the taskbar).

Like i said, this should work for most people although some have still had problems - I didn't come up with the solution, only repeating the steps that worked for people so I can't help you any further!

Concert Regular
‎2012-12-04 03:47 PM

Just thought I'd add this workaround for the Windows 8 freezing. 

If like me you need ICS (Internet connection sharing)...

Restart the affected machine and make sure Spotify isn't running. If it's set to auto start then unset that and try again.

Uninstall Spotify.

Download and install sandboxie  -   http://www.sandboxie.com/ 

Download but don't run the spotify installer.

right click on the spotify installer and select the option to run inside sandboxie. It will create a sandboxed version of Spotify and this version runs just fine on my affected machine.

Each time you then run Spotify it will be sandboxed and for some reason, work just fine.

Roadie
‎2012-12-06 09:34 PM

I think using Sandboxie would pose issues with offline music caching. Wouldn't suggest for offline listening. 

g0rph wrote:

Just thought I'd add this workaround for the Windows 8 freezing. 

If like me you need ICS (Internet connection sharing)...

Restart the affected machine and make sure Spotify isn't running. If it's set to auto start then unset that and try again.

Uninstall Spotify.

Download and install sandboxie  -   http://www.sandboxie.com/ 

Download but don't run the spotify installer.

right click on the spotify installer and select the option to run inside sandboxie. It will create a sandboxed version of Spotify and this version runs just fine on my affected machine.

Each time you then run Spotify it will be sandboxed and for some reason, work just fine.

2 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2012-12-11 10:38 AM

I can't even install Spotify to my computer. Can I download/install it some other way than with the installer? When I open the installer it only says "Unable to install spotify. Trying again in (10) seconds" and that just keeps going until I abort the installation.

1 person liked this

Edited
Concert Regular
‎2012-12-12 05:47 PM

I think using Sandboxie would pose issues with offline music caching. Wouldn't suggest for offline listening.

_

Possibly, but then for most people using Windows that isn't an issue.  I would personally always be online, offline I use on my phone occaisionally.

However, I have since found it isn't 100% working as a fix. I got the dreaded lock again even sandboxed. And it still refuses to run or let me kill the process properly.

I'll be cancelling my subscription and using another service after this month. Probably WiMP as it's just as good quality and quantity, and I'm in the right region :)

Strikes me as shocking that they can't get this sorted for the current Windows version by now.

Edited
Music Lover
‎2012-12-18 07:04 PM

MikeSoton wrote:

lot of people have had this issue (myself included), a fix/workaround recently came up in the forums but has obviously been pushed down the list of topics.

Fix:

1. Click search on your charms bar, type in 'services.msc' and open the app, scroll down to 'Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)', right click, properties, and set startup type to 'disabled'.

2. Return to the list and also disable 'SSDP Discovery' in the same way

3. Return to the list and make sure 'UPnP Device Host' is set to 'Manual'

This should stop Spotify from crashing for most people - also, make sure you have no random/spare connections in your connections list (opens to the right hand side when you click on the connection icon in the taskbar).

Like i said, this should work for most people although some have still had problems - I didn't come up with the solution, only repeating the steps that worked for people so I can't help you any further!

I did exactly the above steps and It worked for 30 seconds!

And then it went back to my old problem, it started to hang and after trying to kill the process which is exactly impossible, i get the error 'unable to initialize the storage of temporary files'.

I did install it with the installer on the compatibility modus as windows 7...

I will try the sandmovie thing, but after reading the posts i don't think it will work...

Spotify, please make an new client which is suitable for windows 8 (pro 32-bits)

Music Fan
‎2012-12-24 12:36 PM

"I did exactly the above steps and It worked for 30 seconds!
And then it went back to my old problem, it started to hang and after trying to kill the process which is exactly impossible, i get the error 'unable to initialize the storage of temporary files'."

So i had the same problem.

What i did:

deactivated all the activity sharing

changed the cache folder 

and using wifi 

and now its working i don't know exactly why but this is what i did 

1 person liked this

Music Lover
‎2013-01-04 02:41 PM

On my Windows 8 64bit setup I solved the problem by removing the 'Incoming Connections' item from network connections.
It got there because I set up a VPN server as explained in this nice guide:
http://www.diaryofaninja.com/blog/2012/09/11/setting-up-a-vpn-server-on-windows-7-or-windows-8-ndash...

The problem is reproduced by setting up the VPN server again.

By default the server listens on port 1723 but I also noticed that with the server configured port 443 was in use by PID 4: NT Kernal & System.
You can check that with 'netstat -aon'

None of the other proposed solutions I could find on this forum worked for me.
I hope this helps in tackling the problem(s).

SUGGESTED POSTS