Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Two different sites on different browsers? I want one!

Solved!

Two different sites on different browsers? I want one!

I use Maxthon as my web browser at home and work.

With it I access URLs like this: https://play.spotify.com/browse

Occassionally (like when I'm at my GFs PC) I use Chrome and I get a URL like this: https://open.spotify.com/browse

I even tried and installed Chrome at home and pasted the play.spotify URL and I get redirected to the same site open.spotify

At open.spotify, the interface is awful, incomplete, unusable.

Why does this happen?

play.spotify contains a complete player, a browse window and a navigation bar to go from radio to my lists or browse anything.
open.spotify has a player with only RW FF play buttons, no way to view the playlist, no way to access the radio and improve it, incomplete navigation bar with just browse, your music and recently played.

I attached screenshots of both web pages. The first is play.spotify, the second is open.spotify.

play sp.png
open sp.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi!

I understand your confusion. Let me explain this.

The page open.spotify.com contains the new web player that uses HTML5. On Chrome you'll be redirected to that even if you go to play.spotify.com.

You won't get redirected when you use Firefox, IE, Edge and apparently other web browsers too.
It's still under development.
In Ideas section you can vote for bringing back features to that player such as Play Queue (it's gone) and other particles. They need your vote!

If you have more questions, let me know. 🙂

Seb

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi!

I understand your confusion. Let me explain this.

The page open.spotify.com contains the new web player that uses HTML5. On Chrome you'll be redirected to that even if you go to play.spotify.com.

You won't get redirected when you use Firefox, IE, Edge and apparently other web browsers too.
It's still under development.
In Ideas section you can vote for bringing back features to that player such as Play Queue (it's gone) and other particles. They need your vote!

If you have more questions, let me know. 🙂

Seb

SebastySpotify Star

Ok! I get it is in developement

IT IS IN ALPHA! LOL

I'll sure go there and vote! Thanks a lot for your reply! I passed the last two weeks trying to find the radio and playlist queue in Chrome 😛

😄 Glad I helped you!

Yes, the only method you can start a Radio right now is clicking on the three dots on some song and selecting 'Start a Radio'.

Seb

SebastySpotify Star

Yeah, thanks! I was able to listen to a radio, but found no way to improve it as before and adding songs to a playlist was a PITA.

I'm thinking of installing Maxthon browser at my GF's PC to get rid of HTML5 new design... And searching for a better music website than Spotify, cause I think the features removed will never come back. I'm thinking of Google Play Music to have it all in my G account 😄

Saw the votes and the gone features have less votes than other requested features. IE: inbox back has 1800 votes against 300 for all the other features. Others even have 9000 votes... Bye spotify.

I managed to get https://play.spotify.com on Chrome.

I changed my User Agent String which is how the browser identificates itself to the Spotify servers.

Setting it to version 44 or less gets back the https://play.spotify.com version of Spotify!

HowTo

On Chrome press Ctrl+Alt+I

On the bar that appears on the right Click the "3 dots menu\More tools\NetworkConditions".

At the bottom "User agent" uncheck "Select automatically", select "Chrome - Windows" and then edit the text below, changing the number after "Chrome/XX" to "Chrome/44"

Or just paste this

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/44.0.2987.110 Safari/537.36

This may look like hacker's stuff but it is really simple and lets you enjoy the complete Spotify interface avoiding the crippled one 😛

ho.png

Suggested posts