Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to locate package spotify-client

Unable to locate package spotify-client

I'm very frustrated, why?

I had spotify app on my 32bit linux. On my second PC (64bit) I've installed spotify. I saw that new designs were made, so decided to upgrade spotify on my 32bit linux. I couldn't upgrade it, so decided to unistall it. Then was trying to install again, hoping that I will see new spotify, and that is what happend:

$ sudo apt-get remove spotify-client 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package spotify-client

Is it because you doesn't support 32bit version?

I was searching solutions on many sites and here in community, nothing found.

8 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

That is correct, unfortunately Spotify doesn't support 32 bit Linux as far as I'm aware.

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

So it could be a reason that that package couldn't be locate?

@turkus wrote:

So it could be a reason that that package couldn't be locate?

From memory yes. Someone had the same issue a while back, and it was beacuse they were on a 32bit system.

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

@turkus @Taylor
Here's the thread (1) where staff said that right now is no 32 bit package available in the new version
Kudo/comment there please so people see it should be available for us

Also, I remember that for the old version the 32-bit package was also (temporarily) offline from repos.

(1) https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Spotify-0-9-17-for-GNU-Linux-and-the...

All is not lost. If you have a local copy of the 32Bit .deb, you can use this to install on your new machine. I have recently upgraded to Debian Jessie (32Bit) and have spotify running. There are a few dependeny problems you have to fix but here's what I did.

From your machine that has Spotify already installed, have a look in /var/cache/apt/archives and you should have the Spotify .deb. Copy this to you new machine and install with 

dpkg -i spotify-client_1%3a0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_i386.deb

This will throw up an error about missing dependencies, next run

apt-get -f install

Then you you will need to manually install libssl0.9.8, you can download it here.

dpkg -i libssl0.9.8

dpkg -i spotify-client_1%3a0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_i386.deb

Of course, if you are running a different distribution you may need to modify these command a little.

Tom 

Iḿ on 64 bits and it also display this message...

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit

@mikerosas wrote:

Iḿ on 64 bits and it also display this message...

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit

The stable channel has had both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the spotify-client package for a few months now and it should work with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Did you follow the instructions on this page?

https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

hi, I followed those instructions but the message keeps coming up. I also searched for the package itself on the internet to download it through dpkg. But I couldn't find it. Hopefully someone is able to help me out!

Suggested posts