Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web player won't play anything

Solved!

Web player won't play anything

Hi, everyone,

I've been experiencing some trouble using the Web Player for more than a month now. I've always used the Web Player, since I don't have the app installed on my computer, and so far it has always worked properly, but now it won't play anything nor even let me select any songs. I can select and enter a playlist, but that's all. If I try to select any song it won't do anything, and when I try to press the play button nothing happens at all.

At the beginning I just had to refresh the website a couple of times and it would work again, but since a week ago that doesn't seem like a solution anymore. This happens on both Chrome and Firefox.

I tried deleting the cookies and navigation data, however that didn't work either. Has this happen to anyone? Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, I may have had the same problem as you (for me Chrome/FireFox/Opera not working, but Edge was working). I was able to fix the problem by following @thepest solution here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Web-Player-not-working-in-Chrome-b...

It's as if the browser/web player is, for lack of a better term, "stuck". With the web player open, I played music with the Spotify app on my phone, clicked Devices Available on the bottom of the app, and then switched it to Spotify Web Player. The browser/web player started playing like normal again, as if it got "unstuck". If it's indeed the same problem, worst case you might need to fiddle with different devices playing back to the web player (and vice versa, also might need to close and reopen web player) to get it working again.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

No one can help? 😞

Hey @Choconatillas

Sorry to hear you can't use the player. 😞

Are you using open.spotify.com? (just asking, there is play.spotify.com too, it's old, but some, incl me, are still using it)
By navigation data do you mean cache?

Do you have any add-ons, like some script blockers or something?

I suppose.. maybe there's something in the hosts file. Here, in the Solution, is how to look it up.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, @SebastVAIO! Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I am using open.spotify.com, and I did try to use the other one you mentioned, just to know if it would work, but it redirected me inmediately to open.spotify as well.

The only thing thay I think could interfere with it is the ad-blocker, and I also tried stopping it on the Spotify Player web but it made no difference either 😕 I'll give it a try to that solution in the link! Thank you! ^^

Hi! Thanks again for the suggestion! I tried what it says there, but it didn't work out for me :/...

Hey @Choconatillas

That's sad to hear!
Did you also try to just wipe out all the entries from there (cut-paste to another document)?
Try logging out and back in too, maybe that would help.

Do you use VPN or anything like that? That may cause such problems as well.
ISP could be the culprit too, but I hope it's not the reason in your case.

SebastySpotify Star

Hi, @SebastVAIO! Actually I couldn't find anything inside the hosts file, there were just a couple of files, but non related to Spotify as the solution shows 😕 I don't use a VPN either, so I don't know what else can it be...

I finally decided to download the desktop app while I keep trying to fix the Web Player. I really appreaciate your help and all your effort! Thank you for everything that you're doing!

Marked as solution

Hi, I may have had the same problem as you (for me Chrome/FireFox/Opera not working, but Edge was working). I was able to fix the problem by following @thepest solution here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Web-Player-not-working-in-Chrome-b...

It's as if the browser/web player is, for lack of a better term, "stuck". With the web player open, I played music with the Spotify app on my phone, clicked Devices Available on the bottom of the app, and then switched it to Spotify Web Player. The browser/web player started playing like normal again, as if it got "unstuck". If it's indeed the same problem, worst case you might need to fiddle with different devices playing back to the web player (and vice versa, also might need to close and reopen web player) to get it working again.

Hey, @chiufucius! Thank you very much for your suggestion! It worked! Or at least it works for the time being. I got the desktop app since the Web Player didn't work, so I opened the app and the WP simultaneously, switched on the WP to the app and back, and as you said it kind of got "unstuck". 

I really thank you for your help, I didn't think I could ever use the WP again. Thank you! 😄

Same problem here.

😞

Lately the Web player on the PC get often stuck and does not allow to play anything. I think this started after I installed and started using the App on my mobile and apparently the sync function between the Web Player on the PC and the mobile phone has some issue resulting in the impossibility to play anything using the Web Player......

To unstuck it, I realized I had to play using the App, select the device on the app and restart the webplayer on the PC, exactly as chiufucius suggested.

I do not think the "device selection" function was intended to work this way and probably need some fixing.

I'm on chromebook, so that didn't work for me

Screenshot 2018-01-08 at 10.59.42 AM.png

Hey @WebBrowserBroke

Try these:

1. Make sure you've selected 'This web player' from the icon on the left of the volume bar (Spotify Connect).

2. make sure you're using a supported browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Opera), and it's up to date.

3. Refer to this article to make sure DRM content is allowed.
4. Incognito window could work. In this case some extensions might be working against the web player.

5. Wipe your browser's cookies and cache.

Here's a slightly more complex trick to try that targets Spotify Connect and it goes like this (leave your web player open):

1. open Spotify app on your mobile (not on windows phone) or desktop. Another computer's web player works too. For me even another browser in the same machine worked.

2. Play something in the app or another web player, then locate the 'connect to a device' button (looks like a small computer icon) near the volume bar and choose the web player you want to use.

This should route the playback over to the web player in question.

A third trick that has worked for some users:

1. Log to the web player

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

You may have to hard-refresh (hit ctrl and F5) the web player, and you may have to repeat the last trick a few times. If it still doesn't work, go to your spotify account page and click on 'Sign Out Everywhere', and then try again.

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

this worked PERFECTLY! Thank you so much!

Which of the proposed fixes worked for you?

This worked. Looked for the small computer icon on the web player (bottom right corner).

Thank you so much. :)))

Thanks. Worked for me.

This worked for me! thank you

This worked nicely here.  Thanks.

EDIT:  The Spotify Connect option by playing a track on the mobile app first and connecting to the web browser.

none of these work for me, still stuck with this problem 😕

Suggested posts