Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why cant I send my playlists to friends?

Solved!

Why cant I send my playlists to friends?

Hey. Hope someone can help, as I'm a bit of a tech tard.

I'm trying to send a playlist to another spotify user. I click share > send to a friend . . .  but it wont let me click send ??

Help please !! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@lobsterette wrote:

Hey. Thanks for the advice 🙂

The person I'm sending it to does not have a Facebook account. Does the Spotify user have to have to be on Facebook for me to search, follow and send songs/playlists to them . . . ?

Nope, you should be able to find their profile and follow them using their username. 

Just search for:

spotify:user:USERNAME

in the main search box in the desktop client, with USERNAME replaced with their Spotify username. That should take you to their profile where you can follow them. Once you have done that, you should be able to send them tracks using the share box.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@lobsterette wrote:

Also, one more question . . . How do a get a picture for my Spotify profile/username?

It is only possible if your account is connected to Facebook (it will pull in your Facebook profile picture). 

The idea of allowing spotify accounts to have pictures is discussed here.

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

Please provide step-by-step instructions.  I never did so in the first place and could share with any friend.  What made it break?

I still have the same facebooks friends in my Followers and Following lists, so your advice would seem to be superfluous.

Thx, RMO

35 Replies

Hmm! Try logging out and back in - You should be able to get a playlist sent now. If not, you might want to try a clean installation

Airhorn Enthusiast

I tried logging out and logging in and it did'nt work. I clicked on the "clear installation" link in your last message but it just sends me to the home page and when I try and search "clear installation" it doesnt come up . . . .hmmmmm.

What does it do exactly? I dont want to lose all my my music and playlists . . . . 

Is there anything else I could do? 

Hey 🙂 

When in the send window, did you select your friends name from the drop down which should appear when you start typing their name? If you are trying to send a track to a spotify username (rather than a Facebook friend) you need to be following that person too 😉 

Peter

Peter

The person I'm sending it to does not have a Facebook account. Does the Spotify user have to have to be on Facebook for me to search, follow and send songs/playlists to them . . . ?

Marked as solution

@lobsterette wrote:

Nope, you should be able to find their profile and follow them using their username. 

Just search for:

spotify:user:USERNAME

in the main search box in the desktop client, with USERNAME replaced with their Spotify username. That should take you to their profile where you can follow them. Once you have done that, you should be able to send them tracks using the share box.

Peter

Peter

Yay!! Thanks! 🙂

Also, one more question . . . How do a get a picture for my Spotify profile/username?

Marked as solution

@lobsterette wrote:

It is only possible if your account is connected to Facebook (it will pull in your Facebook profile picture). 

The idea of allowing spotify accounts to have pictures is discussed here.

Peter

Peter

ahhh ok. Thanks for all your help! 🙂

After a clean install. I still could not put in my friends email until I logged in with FaceBook. Spotiy needs to remedy this by allowing anyone in my contacts to be notified of a track or playlist I want to share. This seems a "no brainer" for Spotify to be able to spread the word without using social links. I am not happy with this decision by Spotify. I have been a proud premium user since Spotify arrival in the U.S. and praise Spotify as the best for playlist enjoyment. Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd added recently is a dream come true. Allow me to share with all users on the internet, especially my friends in my Contacts. 

Feeling so frustrated. I cannot find a way to share playlists with a friend but dont want to go through fb, even though I have followed instructions to the exact requirements. I am wasting so much time and getting nowhere! HELP. I have a mac..they have a PC. Why cant my Spotify find them. Ive been in to my preferences and checked all the boxes are ticked etc. I dont want to enable Fb as I wish this to be private. 

The drop down thing won't show up? I'm following the person I want to send the playlist to, but it still won't appear.

Let's see how far we've come.

doesn't work for me.   I am following Lloyd but he's not on facebook so I can't get him as a friend.  Is following different to friend?  I think so.  when I right click on the playlist I want to send him and then put his name in the Send box it just says it can't find him.  So - how can I make him into a friend rather than just someone I follow? And how can i send him my playlist?

Maybe because this post was on 2013, but  I am dealing with the same issue and I can't solve it this way 😞

This must be a facebook thing, I do not have facebook and this is not working, following spotify users work but it is not possible to share playlists 😞

Hey @drgert

If your account is a standalone Spotify account, to share/send music to friends you'll need 1) to be following each other 2) if the recipient's account was created through Facebook, you'll need to link your account to FB 3) this feature works best on desktop, it won't work on mobile at the moment if both you and your friend are not following each other's account and if not FB-connected. 

This answer is absurd.  Why doesn't the list populate my Spot Facebook friends like it used to?

@genace wrote:

This answer is absurd.  Why doesn't the list populate my Spot Facebook friends like it used to?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about that.

If you go to your Facebook > Settings > Apps > Spotify, can you please make sure Friends List is being checked? If not, please do so and then click save. After that, log out from Spotify and then back in again and let me know if the app populates your FB friends afterwards.

Thanks!

What if this doesn't work?

I am following the user, but the share box still doesn't recognize them as a friend and won't let me share things with them.

Suggested posts