Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?

Solved!

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?  This is getting really annoying!

32 Replies

Did not help me, I'm afraid. Both files seem to cause the same behaviour.

Extra note: After stating my initial problem here, I got a new computer (Win 10 laptop). Initially, there were no problems. However, it has started again.

Absolutely zero feedback or real attempts at resolviong this issue from Spotify thus far.

I have tried the suggested fixes, have no Updates folder to delete, and it's still installing EVERY.TIME.I.START.THE.COMPUTER. 

As a user of this software, (yes, I am a Premium member), I shouldn't have to deal with this. It would be fantastic if someone at Spotify could actually read these and offer a real solution that doesn't necessarily involved deleting and re-installing the software.

Dominique

Marked as solution

FIX each time I open Spotify, it re-installs:

1. Unpin current taskbar icon

2. Click your hard drive icon or search in Start for "this pc"

3. Go to C:\Users\[the name of your window's account]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify 

4. Look for the icon called Spotify, between snapshot_blob.bin and spotifycrashservice when sorted alphabetically 

5. Drag the Spotify icon onto your task bar

6. Solved! No more installs each time you open Spotify 

credit to dsaunders74

Edit: added pictures

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Nope. It's already pinned on my TaskBar. But thanks for the suggestion.

Try unpinning the old icon from the task bar first.

In other words, delete or remove the original icon from the task bar, then after removing the old icon, drag the new Spotify icon from the AppData\Roaming folder onto the task bar. 

I added pictures to the solution above ^

nope, it doesn't work for me.

so i tried to do what you suggested but in my files there is no appdata section the only spotfiy file on my computer appears to be "spotifysetup".

I did unpin it. I completely deleted Spotify and reinstalled it. Did all the recommended hacks suggested here. Still installing at every start-up.

C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

This is the directory you need. 

When you are in the user folder, click view at the top and go to options. There will be a menu that comes up and gives you the option to see hidden folders and drives. Once you have that chosen you can see the appdata folder

Got some help from Spotify technical support. It worked. Delete Spotify, in Windows (I use Windows 7), using Control Panel. If it will not delete (mine didn’t), go to the Spotify folder on your hard drive, and rename it. Then go back to Control Panel, and delete the Spotify application. It will tell you that you have already deleted it and do you want to remove it from the list of installed applications (again this is Windows 7, but it should work for 8 and 10 as well), and you answer yes.

If you don’t already have it, download the Spotify app, and install it. Everything should work hunky dory. Do NOT pin the  shortcut to the app to your taskbar, but leave it as a shortcut on your desktop.

Concerned as to whether my playlist will be deleted.  Please advise.

It will not affect your playlists. Spotify backs up your playlists on its servers! 

Suggested posts