Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10, Spotify freezes PC randomly after Creators Update

Solved!

Windows 10, Spotify freezes PC randomly after Creators Update

After I updated to the latest version of Windows 10, namely the creators update, the spotify desktop app completely freezes my PC while playing music (seemigly at random). It makes weird static noises and then everything freezes and I have to hit the reset button. I tried the following:

• disabling Hardware acceleration
  • reinstalling the Spotify app
  • Reinstalling/updating the video-card ( AMD if that matters)
  • Reinstalling/updating the audio-driver

I tried checking the Event log, but except the messages for me restarting the computer, nothing shows up. For now I'm using the web player, but I'd rather use the app. Can anyone help?

BG

88 Replies

We are running Spotify on two PCs in our house.  One freezes as described by many on this post.   However my PC (an old CoreDuo) runs Spotify fine.  One thing I did may be worth trying.  I start the program from a shortcut to a single track URI (eg:  spotify:track:7sDCnYf7EHsCzLKOQLQTAF)  -  click on a track properties >  Share > Copy URI, then paste into a shortcut on your desktop.  Give it a try.

I followed the problem, someone recommended the portable version of the program, at http://portable.info.pl can find it, if it does not work I warn you, greetings

Keep presenting the problem, is the program with windows 10, or with portable version, if they do not solve this, I think they will lose many customers, do something

It solved for me: I simply disabled my microphone.

Until now my laptop is working fine with Spotify.

Give it a try.

It solved for me: I simply disabled my microphone.

Until now my laptop is working fine with Spotify.

Give it a try.

Are you serious? - To use an app and service I paid for, I'd have to disable my perfectly functioning microphone?

I mean: good insight, thanks, but that's not how things should work. Unfortunately, nobody at Spotify gives a fsck, it seems.

Thank you, phantom customer service! ಠ_ಠ

I have the same problem.
Spotify can you inform us what's going on?
Or better can you solve this problem?

Thank you!

It’s really bad that Spotify has not even responded to these issues people are raising here. 😩

I've been dealing with this issue for like 3 months already, like somebody said, the app opens and it freezes my entire PC, i have tried all these things:

· Uninstalling the program and installing the Windows 10 App: I have tried like 3 times already and it doesn't solve the issue.

· Disabling/Enabling Hardware Acceleration either on the program or the App: Doesn't solve the issue.

· Deleting all Spotify data before reinstalling: Doesn't solve the issue.

· Updating all possibly outdated drivers: Doesn't solve the issue.

· Using and old portable version from way before this issue happened: Doesn't solve the issue.

The only alternative i have left is reinstalling Windows 10, but if it doesn't solve the issue it will be a HUGE time/file loss, i don't want to run that risk because of just one app.

And i don't want to use the Web Player that much because it doesn't have the "this song is already on the playlist" prompt thing.

Maybe if somebody from Spotify reading all the 7 pages of this thread to see that this issue hasn't really been "solved" and saying "hey, you know there is this problem with Windows 10 Creators Update, we can't fix it yet but we are working on it" would help, if i was premium i would heavily consider canceling my premium account over this :(.

Forced to move over from Groove to Spotify by Microsoft...

This is not a good introduction to the service which is now unusable. I'm getting really tired with companies that don't respond or let thier customers languish with faulty products.

Trail ends soon so now I'm being forced to move on again by Spotify.

nandi075 

I reinstalled Windows, and nothing, since the update at the beginning of this year, everything has been difficult, hopefully one day it will be solved

Marked as solution

Hello

This new Windows Creators Update fully solved for me. I updated day 11/01/2017 and until now no more problems.

It's called W10 Fall Creators Update. It's the version 1709.

Just update it normaly using Windows Update. Give a try.

Not really helping me. It still crashes sometimes and to my horror, my PC doesnt even resets normally unless i remove RAM and insert it again. I am pretty sure its happenning since Spotify became UWP app from Win32 and made available in Windows Store. Given the severity of the issue, spotify should atleast roll back to a previous stable version untill they come up with some solution.
I am using an AMD fx 6300 system with 8 GB DDR3 memory and spotify cache is not using my primary storage but a secondary HDD storage. (SSDs are too expensive for this yk) 

Marked as solution

The Fall Update actually fixed it. Or Spotify fixed the app and decided not to tell anyone. Either way: darn! it finally works!!

I'm going to try, I hope it's true, it would be great news

I updated with the Windows Fall update yesterday and have left my computer on, switched it on and off, closed Spotify, opened it and I'm pleased to say that so far my computer hasn't crashed! Let's hope the issue is resolved. Not sure if it was a spotify or Windows fault as no one has taken the time to get involved/respond in spite of contacting both on more than one occasion but I'm thankful that I can use spotify again. 

Thanks everyone for the various 'solutions'. This is the only one that has worked for me.

It keeps blocking, especially when I close the program, check if it was for some windows, but it is only for spotify, hopefully one day windows or spotify review

after updating to the new Windows update, it worked smoothly. but the day after, when I use Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Word, and Spotify at the same time, it froze again. I'm already frustated with this so I'm gonna leave it here waiting the spotify team would fix it. If not, good bye spotify PC. Still using the mobile app though.

Same here....spoke too soon. After the Fall update Spotify ran smoothly for the rest of the day. I'd disabled it on start up and then opened it at which point the screen froze just as it's done on several previous occasions. I've tried it again and the same happened. It crashes immediately Spotify begins to open. Really fed up.....

....spoke too soon. After the Fall update Spotify ran smoothly for the rest of the day. I'd disabled it on start up and then opened it at which point the screen froze just as it's done on several previous occasions. I've tried it again and the same happened. It crashes immediately Spotify begins to open. Really fed up.....

Suggested posts