Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Won't play Offline on laptop (premium user)

Solved!

Won't play Offline on laptop (premium user)

Hi

I'm a preimium user and I don't get why spotify doesnt play offline on my laptop

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have you marked your playlists to be available offline by pressing the "Available Offline" slider at the top of the playlist let Spotify download the tracks?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have you marked your playlists to be available offline by pressing the "Available Offline" slider at the top of the playlist let Spotify download the tracks?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi!

Just did it and they're downloading!

Cheers!!

Hi, I'm having trouble setting up " spotify to play off-line on my mac when I'm not in wifi.  The "Play offline" slider doesn't seem to be available anymore.  How do I get playlists to play offline?

thanks

Russ

@russellgrigg3 

When you are offline, you should just be able to play the songs you have downloaded offline. There is no need to switch anything when you are offline.

1. With an active Internet connection, select a playlist.
  2. Click Available Offline at the top of the playlist.
    Available offline slider
  3. A green arrow appears next to the playlist when it’s done downloading.
    Playlist available offline icon

After you do this, you should just be able to play a song even when you are not on WiFi.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

thanks for your reply - my problem is that there is no "Available offline" switch above the playlist in my version??  Any suggestions?

@russellgrigg3 

That's strange...

can you try to reinstall the Spotify app?

Instructions can be found here:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Make sure to choose the right tab for your device 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

hello, I managed to successfully download music for offline use on my cellphone through the spotify app, however I want to download it through spotify on my mac. Is this possible? and if so how?

I had this problem too, but then realised that I was using the "web player" on my laptop instead of downloading the actual Spotify player to my computer. Once this was downloaded the listen offline button appeared.

So how come I can't use the "available offline" in the artists and albums...only playlists? Seems silly that I can download full albums on my phone but not on my laptop..? What am I missing here?

I REALLY want to download all the songs from my "SONG" category playlist... I want this made possible so I don't
have to sort through all of my songs.... -____- Extreme pain.

The only reason I got this service was to play music offline so I wouldn't go over my data limit. Even when a playlist says it is "Available Offline" the music will not play and the banner pops up saying there's no internet connection. I am using from my laptop.

yeah before i can save songs without having to make a playlist. is this just a glitch or a change from spotify?

I am having the same issue I want to be able to play songs from my 'Songs' list which I can do on my phone but I can't do it on my laptop. Has Spotify changed their policy? If so I was never notified. I pay for premimum so I can get all music on all my devices as promised. 

Spotify can you please respond to my query? Why am I not able to make an entire Artist or Album available offline on my laptop?

having the same issue mate, dont worry. very frustrating. 

I have had a look online and it seems like everyone is saying the same thing: It's not possible to get all of your songs offline on desktop. You MUST create a playlist.

This is a joke, people are paying to get their songs offline and now they're not allowed to. No proper reason has been given and a customer service rep said in 2015 "we do agree the ability to have Your Music offline on your desktop app is a good idea. We will update you here as soon as we have any news about this feature coming to desktop." That was over a year ago!

Get it together, this is straight up fraud, charging people for a service they can't use.

how if the song i want to hear offline is not in playlist but in 'song' ?

HI THERE, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT I FOUND A SOLUTION HERE.

JUST SELECT ALL THE "SONG" CATEGORY THE ADD IT ON NEW PLAYLIST THEN YOU'LL SEE A DOWNLOAD SLIDER. 😄 but its just for the mean time.. and i hope spotify fix this problem..

Just bumping this and echoing what others have said: this feels to me like a bug or oversight in features that no one has bothered to correct. As a premium user, this is very disappointing - I likely won't renew my subscription. I will consider complaining about this on other channels and trying to escalate it to someone who gives a darn.

Suggested posts