Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Wont play some songs.

Solved!

Wont play some songs.

I've got Spotify unlimited. For a few songs, it just won't play. The play bar is empty, it says it's playing but there's no sound or anything. Only happens on some songs, and even after I've imported local files of the same songs it wont play. I'd think it was a problem with the local files, but others still work.
For the most part, it seems to be songs I've played a lot which just makes it worse since they're my favorites. Any idea what could be causing it? Restarting doesn't help. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Those songs that won't play are songs that spotify has found on your computer, I have been having the same issues and it is extremely frustrating because they are songs that I listen to most 😛 BUT I found that a right click on the song and then go down to click "unlink track" towards the bottom of the menu that pops up (just above "delete") Is an effective way to fix this problem.

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Same problem. I resolved it by restarting song. Click on 0:00 and song should work again.

Still this in no real solution, so Spotify fix it...

Mine doesn't even have a number. There's no slider in the play bar. It looks like this on a couple of songs, and I'm having the same problem with more and more of them. Capture.JPG

I'm having exactly the same issues from time to time, incredibly annoying for a service I'm paying for! 

Marked as solution

Those songs that won't play are songs that spotify has found on your computer, I have been having the same issues and it is extremely frustrating because they are songs that I listen to most 😛 BUT I found that a right click on the song and then go down to click "unlink track" towards the bottom of the menu that pops up (just above "delete") Is an effective way to fix this problem.

Unlink track is definitive the way to make these songs play again.  But I still find it a little confusing why some songs won't play, because all of them are songs i have purchased through spotify. Luckyli, after unlinking, they play again.

Awesome! Didn't realize it was because they are already on my computer. I was about to cancel my service as well because I would see a track that I knew was great but it didn't have a play bar. I was like "Arggg! Every good song won't play!".

Maybe they should add a note somewhere that lets the user know that the song was already found on their computer. It's a bit frustrating.

I feel silly now 😄

Had the same problem. Downloading "lame_enc.dll" and putting in in Spotify/Data folder should solve the problem for many mp3 files in your local library.

@Blåskjegg wrote:

Unlink track is definitive the way to make these songs play again.  But I still find it a little confusing why some songs won't play, because all of them are songs i have purchased through spotify. Luckyli, after unlinking, they play again.

It's not even quite definitive. It didn't work for me.

As a follow up, I'd tried all the solutions I've come across so far with no effect, but installing QuickTime 7.7.3 (the most recent) did fix the problem. It looks like there isn't a version of QT that's even officially geared for Windows 8, but it did fix the problem for me. Not surprising, since my issue seemed to be with M4A files.

Follow-up #2: updating QuickTime didn't work for all my files. Still some MP3s that won't play.

(Sorry for the multiple posts. In future, I'll just edit the one post and add the pertinent info there.)

Thank you so much!

I don't have a unlink option when I right click..

@dj2Trot wrote:

I don't have a unlink option when I right click..

You will only see that option if the track you have selected is a local file which has been linked to a corresponding track in the Spotify catalogue. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I "unlinked' a track and the song still doesn't play.  Any suggestions?

Any error messages being displayed or does the tack just not start? Any change after a log out and back in?

Peter

i have the same problem and no error messages!

Are the tracks you are having issues with shown in the "Local Files" tab?

Peter

yes

Can you try the steps in this post:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Windows-Troubleshooting-Spotify/m-p/47876...

Peter

Suggested posts